PDA

View Full Version : Going to "Fake it 'til I make it"

tokidokichi
April 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I am so fed up with my hair only being above my shoulders. I'm only about an inch away which makes it even more so frustrating!

I have decided to get hair extensions. I'm REALLY EXCITED!! =] I'm going to use micro links lined with silicone that prevent damage and breakage. I've had micro link extensions several times, but its been about 5 months since I've had them last. So I had a pretty good break from them. The upkeep on them is fairly easy. I work in a salon so its no big deal having them maintenanced whenever I need. I bought high quality hair because I plan on keeping them in until fall! The hair has a really nice wave pattern witch is very similar to my own. Previously when I had extensions, I always put in straight hair and straightened my hair everyday. I've given up my straightener so wavy hair it is!

I'm hoping these extensions will get me through the awkward longer than chin, but not quite shoulder stage.

I have a question though. The last inch or so of my hair is split and has white dots. I had planned to slowly cut it off before I decided to get extensions again. Should I just cut an inch or so off before I put the extensions in? I really hate cutting off so much at once. My last trim was three weeks ago and I had 1/4 an inch off all over. I am afraid if I ignore it with the extensions it might end up breaking off and causing more damage.. Opinions??

I'm having them put in next tuesday, I'll take pictures!! ^_^

Twil
April 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Oh sounds pretty!! You must post pics when you have them done!

Mariah!!
April 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
man i have always wanted hair extensions!! Never had the money for them though! I don't know how much they cost, but I always assumed I couldn't afford them. Congratulations!! I think it's a great way to grow out you're hair!! i think maybe you should just trim at least 1/2 " or so just in case, but just trust that you're hair will grow for the next couple seasons enough that you won't even miss the hair you trimmed!! Good luck!!

joiekimochi
April 22nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I would say yes, get the trim before putting in the extensions. I faked it till I almost made it, and I put in TBL extensions in my slightly longer than APL hair back in 2007. Left it in for 5 months and when I finally removed the extensions because my virgin roots looked awful with my dyed hair and the extension joints were dangling almost 3 inches down my scalp, it was driving me crazy! My hair was BSL by then.

Only problem was, the removal of the extensions was a bit of a shock because I had gotten used to the fake thickness.

tokidokichi
April 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks, Twil! Yes I'll have pictures up ASAP! =D

Mariah, thanks for your input! You're right my hair will grow a lot while the extensions are in so I shouldn't miss 1/2 an inch too much.. I think I may go with that instead of a full inch =]

NuclearMosquito
April 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sounds like it will be cute! If I had the money I'd totally trim the last 2-3 inches of black-dyed hair and put in looooong extensions for the summer, especially if they were designed not to hurt the hair much.

Please post pics when you get them done!

tokidokichi
April 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I would say yes, get the trim before putting in the extensions. I faked it till I almost made it, and I put in TBL extensions in my slightly longer than APL hair back in 2007. Left it in for 5 months and when I finally removed the extensions because my virgin roots looked awful with my dyed hair and the extension joints were dangling almost 3 inches down my scalp, it was driving me crazy! My hair was BSL by then.

Only problem was, the removal of the extensions was a bit of a shock because I had gotten used to the fake thickness.

What method did you use to put your extensions in? And yeah I am always sad when I take the extensions out, it feels like I have no hair anymore! I get over it in about a week or so afterwards though haha ^_^

tokidokichi
April 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Sounds like it will be cute! If I had the money I'd totally trim the last 2-3 inches of black-dyed hair and put in looooong extensions for the summer, especially if they were designed not to hurt the hair much.

Please post pics when you get them done!

Being a hairstylist has its perks! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford them either. I only pay for the actual hair and the micro links. I do my co-stylists hair for free and they do mine. Its a good deal! =D

jivete
April 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
What a great perk. Looking forward to pictures.

Luckysock
April 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
exciting!!! post pics!!! :D I've always wanted to do this, not only for the length, but I love how extensions give that extra volume at the scalp :D Soooo sexy

kelly-j
April 23rd, 2010, 02:08 AM
I´m really looking forward seeing pics of your new hair.

dajanchen
April 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I´m not sure if that´s possible.:o I saw a lot of pictures of people who had to cut their hair after the extensions extremely because it was totally damaged. You say that your hair is damaged now and I´pretty sure that it wont get better with extensions.
But it´s your choice and I hope that it will go well.:) I would also try to get rid of the damage before you are making it.

Arctic_Mama
April 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, I would caution - if they are sewed in, the extensions often put abnormal traction on parts of the scalp and can cause balding and thinning, as well as breakage at the place where the shaft was bent (cornrows that are too tight can do that as well). If the extensions are glued in, that can also cause major snagging and breakage, and is generally bad news for the places where the extension is attached (thus being counterproductive, since you'll end up losing length to the damage).

I might be way off base here, but everything I have seen makes me highly wary of extensions. They may not cause much harm, but I have never seen hair benefit from them, quite the opposite. It's up to you to decide if it is worth it.

Good luck!

Arctic_Mama
April 23rd, 2010, 03:20 AM
I should add - my opinions on this subject are entirely anecdotal based on what I've seen. You're a professional and probably know more about this than me. If these extensions are designed to prevent damage to the hair and they actually work then the only major downside to extensions is then removed as an obstacle :)

redneckprincess
April 23rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
I always loved my extentions when I had them, but they were sooo damaging for my hair. I wish they had non damaging ones I would get them again but that's what started off this whole mess in the first place...

I would reccomend doing the trimming first

Bethie
April 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Very cool. I can't wait to see the pics.

tokidokichi
April 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
I have never seen any damage with the extensions I'm using. Not on myself, and not on any of my clients :) i'm completely against fusion and glue extensions. I have seen the damage they can cause and it is horrible!! I won't get sewn in extensions because they would just feel too unnatural.

The method I use is called micro links, the hair is attached with small alluminum beads that have a protective silicone lining on the inside. Your natural hair is pulled though the bead, the extension is inserted in the bead with your hair and the bead is crimped near your scalp. If they are applied professionaly, there is no need to worry about damage if your careful with them (no pulling or tugging on them or combing when wet)

The only reason I am worried about my split ends is I won't be able to baby them the way I have been withouht the extensions. I've decided to cut 1/2 inch off, maybe more :)

x0h_bother
April 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Wow, I have been searching for a good extention method, and this micro bead thing sounds awesome. If I'm not goal length by my wedding I will get them! Def want to see pics :-)

sarah061
April 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I can't wait to see pics of this! I bet it's going to look wonderful. I've never heard of microbead extensions before but they sound much better for you than the glue-in kind my local Fantastic Sam's does (for $700 I might add!) How long will you be able to leave them in for? Or does it vary according to how well you take care of them?

Unofficial_Rose
April 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Are the micro-bead thingies comfortable to sleep on?

I had the silicone bobbles when I had my extensions. Pretty uncomfortable and when I took them out, they took quite a bit of my hair.

Honestly, if there was a safe way to do this I'd consider it. If you've been OK with them before, they should be OK now. :)

joiekimochi
April 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
What method did you use to put your extensions in? And yeah I am always sad when I take the extensions out, it feels like I have no hair anymore! I get over it in about a week or so afterwards though haha ^_^

I have 60 extensions put in using the Japanese braiding technique, because I didn't want any glues or metal clamps on my head. The extension is braided with a little section of my hair for about 1 1/2 inches and secured with a coated band.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
i also installed microrings when i was around your length! :D (i have a picture of them in one of my albums) I must say, i felt absolutely GORGEOUS while wearing those :D Unfortunately i had to take them out after a month (due to scalp issues) but now i'm gonna have all that hair made into clip-ins as they're easier on hair.

alligatorbaby23
April 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Just a weird question- how do you brush your hair? Can you get down to the scalp, what is the technique for combing and stuff. I was always curious.

tokidokichi
April 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Just a weird question- how do you brush your hair? Can you get down to the scalp, what is the technique for combing and stuff. I was always curious.

I don't brush my hair usualy, but if I need to, I use something called a loop brush. It's hard to describe, but google it and u will see what I mean. It let's you brush ur scalp withoutbit getting caught on the links. I usualy just comb my hair thoughand don't worry about getting to the scalp:)

tokidokichi
April 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I have 60 extensions put in using the Japanese braiding technique, because I didn't want any glues or metal clamps on my head. The extension is braided with a little section of my hair for about 1 1/2 inches and secured with a coated band.

I have read about this method! I actually thought about getting trained to do it, but the classes are too expensive! Maybe one day when I have the money ^_^

Sunny_side_up
April 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Look forward to pics!:D

tokidokichi
April 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Okay got my extensions in and I'm loving them! ^_^

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/teethobsession/newextensions3.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/teethobsession/newextensions.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/teethobsession/newextensions2.jpg

sorry about the weird lighting =]

sarah061
April 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Eeeeeee - they look so gorgeous Tokidokichi! I love the color and length. That's going to be so much fun for summer - I'm jealous!

Capybara
April 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Wow, they look great!

I couldn't tell from your previous posts, but are they put in underneath (at your nape) or all over, or somewhere else? Can you still do a ponytail?

Enjoy your new length :)

Peter
April 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Insta-length! :D

They look super cool. :)

sugarpixie10988
April 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
They look so natural! I love the color and texture of them! If I wasn't poor and lazy I'd probably get extensions too :p.

Luckysock
April 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
ah! I love them, nice job - it looks like they matched your colour perfectly!

tokidokichi
April 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Sarah!! Yep, I'll be able to do some fun braids =]]

Capybara, thank you =]] I have them all over, in the nape, the sides, pretty much everywhere but the top! I can wear it in a low ponytail. My actual hair isn't long enough to go in a high ponytail yet ^_^

tokidokichi
April 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Peter, haha! insta-length indeed! Thank you
sugarpixie & luckysock, thanks! yep, I was really fortunate in finding that color online!! I was afraid i might have to color them. I did have to perm them though haha ^__^

Glad you guys like =D

IcarusBride
April 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
WOW it looks amazing! I couldn't tell at all that they are extensions! It makes me wonder if ALL movie stars actually have, like, chin-length hair... ? It looks really good on you!

Aer
April 28th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Those look so natural, they're adorable!

alligatorbaby23
April 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation of how you brush/comb the scalp.

I think your extensions look super cute and the color is a perfect match. Enjoy your new hair!

jivete
April 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
They look fabulous.

x0h_bother
April 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Wow..fantastic..I'm speechless!

joiekimochi
April 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Aack, you make me want to put in extensions again, although I already have BSL hair! It's so pretty and natural!

TiaKitty
April 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
That look is perfect on you! I wouldn't know it wasn't your own hair if you hadn't said so! Yay for your extensions!

Sunny_side_up
May 2nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wow! Looks fab, great colour match and looking natural too:)

redneckprincess
May 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
that looks awesome...love the color!!! I recently got a hair peice that I love...but I like that I can take it off (without damage) and have short hair for a few days too

Amraann
May 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
WOW!!
They look amazing on you!

Maverick494
May 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Looking good! A friend of mine recently got extensions as well. Medication had thinned her hair dramatically and she had to have it cut to shoulderlength, even though her dream was to have long hair. She got back with curly locks like you. And these days it all looks so natural!

Your extensions seem like they're your real hair. I thought I could spot these things from miles away, but yours look really natural.

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
could a guy get extensions do you think?

tokidokichi
May 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback! =]] I'm loving the extensions more and more everyday, I have even been able to achieve some updo's!

Matt, yup guys can get extensions too! Anyone can, but your normal hair should be at least chin length to blend well with the extensions

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
guess i will have to wait

RenaBanana
May 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Wow, they look amazing! I love love love the color of your hair! :)

lemonmelon
May 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
They look great!

Keep us updated on how they are faring and how your hair feels when you finally take them out :) How long will they last by the way?

Rapunzal2Be
May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
They look amazing! I wish I could afford them!!

But, one of the things my scalp really loves is daily brushing and I swear it helps my shedding and my growth - so I think my growth and hair health would suffer if I couldn't brush/easily get to my scalp.

Nyghtingale
May 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
The color is matched really good.

Henrietta
May 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
They look like your natural hair! Perfect color match!