PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Asymmetric Hair!

TawnyRoots
April 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Help!

I have been growing out my hair from an asymmetric pixie, last year my hairdresser was able to fashion it into an asymmetric bob, as I didn't want to lose the length, and of course she said "we can even it out another time".

WELL, 8 months later, and it is still asymmetric, one side at shoulder, one side nearer APL! Ok, it doesn't look as bad as it sounds, as I wear it up mostly and the curls make it look more even, (I really need pics on here but can't find my camera currently). But what do I do now??? I have a haircut booked for next week, do I even it and go back to shoulder all round? Or keep the asymmetry until a longer length?

Has anyone else had this, or pulled off asymmetric longer hair successfully? Problem is if I don't do it now, I probably won't get my haircut again to the end of the year...

Any comments appreciated! I will try to find camera!

ETA: I do love having APLish hair, even just on one side :)

Arctic_Mama
April 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Eh, I'd personally even it out now, if you're going in. Shoulder is a cute length to have it even at. But if it doesn't bother you and you prefer the length then keep it! I just know that would drive me nuts!

TawnyRoots
April 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Eh, I'd personally even it out now, if you're going in. Shoulder is a cute length to have it even at. But if it doesn't bother you and you prefer the length then keep it! I just know that would drive me nuts!

Thanks, for the response :), not sure if the bold is true on me though! My head is telling me that you are right, but my heart is saying hold on to the length!!!! Somehow I don't quite believe that it will be easier at any other length though, and you know what they say about pulling off a plaster...

missjessiecakes
April 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Do you ever wear it down?

If you dont you can hold off if thats what you truly wish to do but honestly I would just whack it and be done with it if you arent going to cut again until the end of the year. Do what makes you comfortable.

SimplyViki
April 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Oh, this is not the same thing, but I told myself I was going to cut off all my layers once I reached waist length. Um. I'm past hip length now, and still haven't done it.

If you procrastinate anything like I do, I'd say get it over with now. I agree with Arctic Mama, shoulder length is a cute length!

spidermom
April 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I know that I'd go for the cut and even it out, but do what your heart is telling you. I've seen more than a few asymmetric heads of hair around, usually because one area grows faster than the others and the grower has made a vow not to cut.

TawnyRoots
April 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, very helpful to push me in the right direction, SimplyViki that is exactly what I fear, if not now when???

I am going to get it all evened out, then my real long hair journey can begin with a fresh start :)

:waltz:

frizzalot
April 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
You could go for a v or u shaped hemline, then you wouldn't lose all your length. I think a deep U shape might work with what you describe your hair to be like.

Then every couple of months maybe trim 0.5" until you get a blunt hemline (if thats what you want).

hth

KBG
April 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
You could go for a v or u shaped hemline, then you wouldn't lose all your length. I think a deep U shape might work with what you describe your hair to be like.

Then every couple of months maybe trim 0.5" until you get a blunt hemline (if thats what you want).

hth

That's a great compromise! Smart!:agree:

TawnyRoots
April 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM

hth

Ah this is a great idea! Yes I think this will work as the back is long :) :cheese: Thanks so much!

frizzalot
April 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Glad to help :D

Don't forget to post pics of your new cut!!!