PDA

View Full Version : The 2-Week Rule has been initiated

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
For those of you who aren't on my facebook (where I posted this last night), I've been really bumming about my hair lately. I had a miscarriage in January (and I'm ok with that for the most part - moving along with life), and I've shed out about 1/4 of my total hair circumference from that and stress.

My hair is currently midthigh, and it begins to be see-through around mid-butt or so. I have been contemplating a cut back to tailbone length, or even hip or waist, to thicken out the ends. I just can't stand it to be this wispy-looking at this length. I've been wearing it up since January, but when I do take it down at the first of June (my goal for the Wear-It-Up challenge), I'd like to enjoy wearing it down some. :(

I am fairly certain that I AM going to cut, but I just wanted to assure everyone that if/when it happens, it wasn't a rash decision, and something that has been bothering me for a couple of months.

Thanks for reading, I'll try to get some pics up soon.

turtlelover
April 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Thick looking, healthy hair is more important than super super long hair in my opinion. Don't feel guilty about it....just do what makes you feel good. Waist length is still really, really long to most of the world! :-)

Svenja
April 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
I read it on FB last night, and I do second your decision, Jamie. Better healthy, good looking hair than long, thin hair. I hope your hair grows magically quick if you decide to cut :)

*hug* on the cause of your shedding - no words.

Loreley
April 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. :grouphug:
I've been thinking about the same thing for a month or so. I know my hair would look much better if I cut it back to tailbone length but I don't want to loose any length. My hair has never been this long before and if I reached 48" one of my dreams would come true. But my ends are so thin... I'd have to cut about 6" to have thick ends. I trim 1 cm/every 3 months but it doesn't help much. Planning to do that in every second month from now on but the urge to do a big trim is still there...:(

countryhopper
April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss. you've been through a rough few months :(

What about doing one/two inch trims in the meantime and waiting until just before the first of June to do anything much shorter? That way you can see if the smaller trims make enough of a difference to avoid cutting off more than necessary. No one will even know since you keep it up for the challenge anyway.

It's faster to cut than grow. You can always take off more.

melrose1985
April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Sorry to hear what has been going on. I agree with you that it's your sick of looking at the way it is then go ahead and cut, but like most people say start small. So you said mid butt first, then hip or waist- start and mid butt and see how it looks.

Best of luck!

hendrix.co
April 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
No matter you decision I will always be a follower of your lovely locks.

VitaR86
April 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Good luck on what ever you choose. :blossom:

RoseRedDead
April 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriage. :flowers:

I advise you do whatever you need to feel good about your hair. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

You'll still be one of my top hair idols. :)

frizzalot
April 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sorry about your loss :blossom:

Hope you're happy with whatever decision you take

pdy2kn6
April 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
So sorry to hear about your miscarriage Jamie. I think do whatever you choose, it isn't rash or silly at all if it's what you decide at the time. Your hair would look beautiful with blunt ends. I am sure the few inches you would lose wouldn't be too noticeable, cant wait for your pics.

spidermom
April 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. All the pictures that I have seen of your hair are just beautiful, so I don't think you can go wrong with trimming a few inches.

Longlocks3
April 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
It's better to be happy with your hair than to have super long hair. If you cut it, have fun at those shorter lengths! Oh, and don't forget, I hear updos are challenging when you do big trims like that!

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for you guys' input. The clincher is that I'm still getting excited over those long-hair moments...I bought a pair of shorts today, and I tried them on again at home when my hair was already loose from my updo. My ends were past the legs of the shorts (and they were not daisy dukes, lol, no thank you there). It was kind of neat, because I couldn't do that last year without "cheating" (tilting back). So yeah, it might be a turbulent 2 weeks.

But if I do trim, I'll only do a bit at a time. Maybe back to classic first and see how that looks...that's about 6".

gmdiaz
April 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. . .and for the stress you're having.

Your hair is beautiful at whatever length you decide.

If you've got to cut, .trim off the bare minimum and then wait and see. I think I would trim off to the edge of those shorts.

Or take off 3" at the most and hold for a month or so. . . take off another 2" if you think it needs it. And wait a month or two. . .take off another 1".

spidermom
April 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Classic length is very long and beautiful!

camara
April 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
I´m sorry you had much stress. :(

If it makes you feel better about your hair, then I´d say go ahead and trim a little at a time.

I can understand where you come from, I am applying the two week rule, too, right now. I trimmed an inch or so a few days ago and will maybe trim more soon.

janeytilllie
April 23rd, 2010, 01:08 AM
I so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

I know It feels. When my hair was thinning I was too in the same dilemma. I was happy at the length of my hair but unhappy at it's condition.

I cut 14" off.

I was sad to start with but now I am very glad I decided to cut. My hair is slowly getting back to the orignal length and I'm now happy about the health of my hair :)

My advice is to cut if you are unhappy with your hair. Maybe alittle off first.

IMO It's no good having long hair if you are really unhappy with it :flower:

Classic length is still super long hair :D

Good luck and hugs!

JamieLeigh
April 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
I didn't realize how big of a step it would be to me, emotionally, to cut back some, until I posted this thread. I never thought of myself as attached to hair, which will grow back. How insane is that? :p Haha...

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded, and for your well-wishes. I know I haven't been around a lot lately, and I know the m/c partially contributed to that - the whole not wanting to sit still and concentrate on anything.

I will take photos today, so that you guys can see what I'm referring to, and also for a "before" reference to have if I do decide to cut, since I haven't taken length shots since last fall.

Thanks so much for reading. :grouphug: Hugs to you all. :flowers:

little_acorn
April 23rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
Good luck on your decision JamieLeigh, I think your hair is truely stunning. Cutting back 6 inches seems a lot all in one go. How about 2 or 3 inches to start with?

I'm also sorry to hear of your m/c :flowers:

jackiesjottings
April 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM
I am so sorry for your loss and about your hair :((( Good luck whatever your decide to do. I have thin hair and it is see through at the ends but have decided to reach my goal of classic first then trim back. Maybe have a smallish trim then see how it goes?

JamieLeigh
May 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
UPDATE: It's been longer than 2 weeks, but I did decide to just stick here at midthigh/fingertip+/48" to maintain and try to grow the thickness down my length. This is a very fun length, anyway and having thinner ends actually is helping my updos to stay more secure.

Guess there is a silver lining to every cloud. :p

Thanks to all who read and responded. I didn't cut. At all. I just learned to love it the way it is. Hopefully I will have length shots soon, I'm overdue. :)

countryhopper
May 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
hooray! good decision!

I'm glad that two week rules exist and that it turned out well for you!

Cupofmilk
May 11th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

I had a huge trim 15-20 inches in December - I could sit on my hair up to bSL. I really think I should have done it in stages. I had been very stressed and ill for a while - the bottom 6 inches needed to go but my husband got overexcited with the scissors

FrannyG
May 11th, 2010, 04:14 AM
JamieLeigh, I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner. I am so very sorry for what you've been going through. :grouphug:

Isn't the 2-week rule a wonderful thing? I'm happy that you made a decision. Now this won't weigh on your mind. You have enough going on. Keep on enjoying that beautiful hair of yours. I love that you are accepting it just the way it is. One's hair always looks worse to oneself during the rough times than it ever does to others. :blossom:

Loreley
May 11th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I'm glad you didn't cut it! :D

frizzalot
May 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
good for you :) , happy growing :grouphug:

Cleopatra18
May 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
im so sorry to hear about that,I think cutting it to classic will be good enough,you dont need to take it all the way back to waist :( and maybe your ends are not as bad as you think,do you have any pictures of them?

oh i just read your update lol,im very glad you didnt cut your hair.you're an inspiration to everyone,wishing you best of luck in your hair journey.

DakarNick
May 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Congrats on keeping it long!

jera
May 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry about your losses and stresses. You've always been one of my LHC hair icons. Secretly, I'm glad you decided to keep it long and keep on growing but you would've looked beautiful with tailbone length too. :)