PDA

View Full Version : I think dandruff shampoo lightened my hair

juliaxena
April 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM
I have used ketoconasole shampoo a couple of times. I was worried to see no roots. But then I had a closer look at one of the shed hairs. I do have roots, just the color is way lighter! The only different thing I have been doing is use this shampoo.

Katze
April 22nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Not sure what you mean by roots.

Strong shampoos can strip the oil from your hair, making it look lighter - this happens to me every time I wash with sulfate shampoo.

If your hair is colored, strong shampoos can also strip the dye from your hair- Maybe this is what you mean? Honey, rhassoul, and many other things can also take dye out, in my experience. this is not the same as lightening your hair.

Colored hair (again in my experience) seems to need special products which is why there are so many of these!

juliaxena
April 22nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
I mean I dye my hair and since my last root touch up I would have to have visible roots by now, but I don't. My hair did grow though, only it became lighter. I found some internet sites that state ketoconasol can lighten hair coat. I only put the shampoo on my roots, the rest of my hair is not lighter than it was.

Toadstool
April 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
My hairdresser told me to use dandruff shampoo to deliberately remove a dye job I didn't like.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 22nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
i've been using ketoconazole shampoo for a few weeks now, i didn't notice any lightening. Maybe lightening is because of the summer sun? or anything else you put on your hair?

ETA: I did a google search, ketoconazole shampoo might change hair texture and remove perms and hairdye. There's no word about changing natural color.

juliaxena
April 22nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
i've been using ketoconazole shampoo for a few weeks now, i didn't notice any lightening. Maybe lightening is because of the summer sun? or anything else you put on your hair?

ETA: I did a google search, ketoconazole shampoo might change hair texture and remove perms and hairdye. There's no word about changing natural color.

Lol, what summer sun?

Here, some links. OK, the first one is about dog hair but still, animal hair is even harder to lighten I suppose?

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ketoconazole-nizoral/page1.aspx

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ketoconazole.html

Dreams_in_Pink
April 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Some individuals will show a lightening of the hair coat while taking ketoconazole. This effect reverses with discontinuation of the medication.

Stop using it and see if roots start to grow darker.

ETA: i suppose those sites talk about internal consumption of ketoconazole, hence the other side effects.

juliaxena
April 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
I'd say enough ketoconasol gets to hair folicle and hair itself if used in shampoo too. I don't intend on stopping using it because my scalp stopped having those tiny flakes, stopped hurting when I have updos plus my hair grows like crazy the last week. Your hair is naturally way darker than mine so maybe that's why you didn't notice anything. Plus I leave it on 15 minutes. It doesn't seem to me that lightening reverses on existing lightened hair. I'm not testing that anytime soon so perhaps someone else will find this usefull and try it.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
by the way, i think 15 minutes is too much to leave it on scalp. What does it say on the instructions? Mine says 3-5 minutes is enough (which is true, i had severe flaking on my scalp and now i don't have any)

juliaxena
April 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I checked with my pharmacist, he said I can use it 15 minutes. Why? I somehow sense that you mind me using this, while there's a whole thread where people use antimicotics in much bigger concentration. I haven't seen anyone object there and it is something people DON'T wash off at all. I hope I am wrong but I feel like you want to talk me out of this. I'm just sharing what I think happened. Perhaps someone will benefit from it. Perhaps they will try it and hate the results. I'm sure everyone is smart enough to realise it's their own decision that they must be careful about. I however have made mine and I like what I am seeing.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
why would i try to talk you out of this? you can do whatever you want with your hair, i just shared my two cents with you :)

Peace! :flower: