PDA

View Full Version : Where to start when choosing a hair routine?

VitaR86
April 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Okay, by looking under my photo, you can see that I am a newbie. I really do wish I had found this site a lot sooner.

My question is how do you determine what routine you should use?

What made you choose what you use? Did you just do a trial and error route?

Ursula
April 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I wrote an article a while back on exactly this issue. You can find it in the articles section, as "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" and there is a link in my sig.

TXbarbie
April 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Urusla's advice in the newbie article is very helpful.

For me I went out on a limb and tried a few new things - CO, CWC, cone-free etc. It came down to what was most convenient for me since I'm a student, so my routine hasn't changed too much other than wearing my hair up more and doing a CO wash every other time I wash my hair :)

Good luck on your journey!

Copasetic
April 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
For me it was just trial and error. I honestly haven't changed my routine all that much since my pre-LHC days. The only real difference is that I discovered coconut oil and KCCC.

VitaR86
April 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
What's KCCC?

Stephichan
April 21st, 2010, 11:14 PM
I did a lot of reading on here first. I read Ursula's newbie guide (highly recommend it) then I hit the review board. I experimented with CWC, CO, sulfate-free shampoo, no-cone conditioner, henna and oil. I also keep a word document to act as a 'hair journal'. I make notes of shampoos and conditioners I want to try, ones that I know work, and ones that I have determined to not work for me. In the end, it all comes down to reading and systematically experimenting (as detailed in Ursula's guide). Good luck and happy growing! ^_^

Rhiannon7
April 22nd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Experiment, Experiment, Experiment. when you do change something in your routine, change one thing and do not change anything else for 1 month, so you will see how your hair responds to that change. i started with SMT, waited 3 weeks and changed conditioner, waited a month and changed poo, waited another month and changed leave ins. then i experimented with WO, CO, SO, CWC, and many recipes. even tried going cone free.

It takes patience and lots of experimentation to find a good routine that you and your hair like. also it depends on what your hair needs, what it likes and dislikes and how it responds. if at any time you get massive tangles or your hair starts shedding more than usual...stop and change products/routine. also if you change diet or have a big life change take a month before making any changes to your hair.

Mostly just treat your hair like antique lace, if possible wear it in a bun or braid and use extreme measures if necesary to protect your hair. I've done so much experiments my best friend and her children call me 'miss weird.' because i have tried almost all things, recipes and routines. but finally found the perfect routine and products, my hair is happy and i am very happy.

Take your time and be patient always. believe me if your hair is going to hate something it will tell you immediately, but if it is going to like something it could take a few weeks sometimes even more than 1 month to actually show you it likes what you are doing.

HTH. and welcome to the community.

VitaR86
April 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Rhiannon7 thank you so much. And I love your hair in your siggy. That is such a beautiful color.

Aditi
April 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
First of all you can start with the Ursula's article and then go to the very basic shampoo and condish check and then you can upgrade as and when you read more and more posts here on the boards. Good Luck :flower:

09robiha
April 22nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
When I started figuring out a new hair routine I did a clarifying wash, let it dry, and properly looked at my hair and evalutated its needs e.g (for me anyways) its curly, its dry, it has some residual heat damage at the ends and reasearched methods that would work well for me e.g CO washing, going cone free to aff moisture, detangling in the shower everyday etc.

After that I changed little things every 2 weeks so I would be able to see the differance of certain methods and products etc etc and be able to pin point which were working and which weren't . If you do everything at once your hair may freak out and you'll end up discounting everything.

It does take patience, and I understand the frustrations, but take a look at the articles especially Ursuala's newbie advice one, look through the albums for inspiration and motivation and jsut experiment, experiment, experiment!!

lilalong
April 22nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
Welcome! I would also point you to Ursulas article.