PDA

View Full Version : How long can thin hair be?

fhelton
May 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hello everyone, I read the article on hairtyping and realized that my hair is very thin! It is straight and fine, and the diameter of my pony tail is only 1 inch. Is it unrealistic to try to have long hair? It is just at my collar bone now.

Does anyone else have hair like mine? How long is your hair? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Meli
May 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Do you mean that your ponytail circumference is 1"? Then you are i. If it is your diameter that is one inch, then your circumference is more likely to be in the ii range - in other words, not so thin. People with thin hair should be able to grow long hair as well. How long it will be is determined by both genes and haircare, and the only way to find out for sure is to let it grow and see what happens.

fhelton
May 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I was measuring the diameter, should I measure circumference instead?

Katurday
May 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
When I was younger there was a girl in my class with classic length extremely thin hair. It was very blonde, and she looked like a fairy.
Her mother actually had the same hair type as the girl, but her hair was at her knees and it was platinum.
Quite impressive, actually.

lora410
There are tons of fine hairs on here that have VERY long and beautiful hair. there are no limits no matter what your hair type.

Meli
Yes. It is the circumference that is used in the hairtyping system.

Euphony
May 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
There are tons of fine hairs on here that have VERY long and beautiful hair. there are no limits no matter what your hair type.
Agreed! My MIL has thin hair and had her hair very long when my husband was a child. A lot has to do with genes and care.

Riot Crrl
May 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Just multiply the diameter by pi. Circumference is 3.14159265" :)

spidermom
May 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I saw a woman in the grocery store one day whose very thin hair was in a high ponytail, and the ends wisped away somewhere near knee-length. She must have had a very slow shed and regrow cycle because I couldn't help staring and noticing that she didn't have lots of shorter hairs sticking out like I do. Her hair was very straight, though, so maybe that is why.

fhelton
May 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Thank you everyone! I checked the article again and the measurement is circumference, I should have read that more carefully. 3 inches sounds so much better!

I really appreciate hearing that it is possible to have long hair with my hair type. I've been reading the postings and seeing the pictures of everyone's beautiful hair and I've started dreaming that it may be possible for me too.

Igor
May 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I did a search on the old LHC and the longest length in the i-range was calf length :thumbsup:

freznow
May 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I did a search on the old LHC and the longest length in the i-range was calf length :thumbsup:

Wow, that gives me much hope!

fhelton, I'm a 3" circumference too, so we have roughly the same hair type. You'll get there, and it will be just as stunning as thick hair! :blossom:

jojo
May 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I dont see any reason why thinner hair should not be long, it reminds me of a fairy too. Keep growing! my hair coincidentally has gone thicker since i joined LHC 8 months ago, probably because i dont squash it with straighteners everyday and treat it a whole lot better.

Kiraela
May 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I just wanted to wish you luck on your growing journey!

kwaniesiam
May 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
My circumference is only about 1.5-1.75" and at its longest my hair was just past waist :)

moon-flower
May 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
My hair is fine, straight, and thin. (Like you) and my hair has reached knee lenght. So I don't see why having thin hair would make it have slower growth, or terminal length. I also think I have very thin hair, especially the ends. Just see my album.(Must be a friend though.)

sapphire-o
May 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You should change your hair stats now. 3" is right in the middle of the ii category and a very decent thickness. :) It's not thin at all and I'm sure would grow to average length at least.

Katze
May 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I just saw a woman with thin, fine hair about my length (almost, almost BSL) in a high single (thin - thumb width tapering to pencil width) braid with an elastic at the top, and it looked GOOD. This made me wonder why I am so selfconscious about my hair being so fine and thin? Why am I jealous of women whose hair has no taper, and is thick at the ends?

I think society tells us that only thick hair is healthy and/or beautiful. Fairytale ends, which many of us naturally have, are seen by hairdressers as a problem that needs to be solved. Perhaps this is due to unrealistic expectations of beauty, perhaps due to a desire to make more money.

My hair is fine and thin and when I put it into braids, they are thinner than the thin end of a chopstick. Part of this is due to my old layers, but part does seem to be natural.

AS you see from many people here, thin hair, fine hair, and thin, fine hair, can indeed be long and beautiful and healthy. It's just a matter of resetting our expectations so that we are happy with not ever having those wrist-thick braids with no taper...sigh...

jel
May 7th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I was measuring the diameter, should I measure circumference instead?

I wonder, how did you measure the diameter of your pony tail? I can never do that myself, as either I can't insert the ruler properly or the markings are covered by hair! :p

I find it much easier to wrap a tape measure around my ponytail, or, even more accurately, to tie a ribbon around it firmly, then cut it open and measure the length.

Just_Isabel
May 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
You should change your hair stats now. 3" is right in the middle of the ii category and a very decent thickness. :) It's not thin at all and I'm sure would grow to average length at least.

What she said. 3 inches is not that thin at all. :)

Anje
May 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Where's Unnamed? I haven't seen her around in a while, but she's got thinner hair (about a 2" circumference) at least to her lower thighs. It looks gorgeous, too.

Babyfine
May 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm trying to do it LOL!
My dh measured my circumference and we kept coming up with 2" so I'm an i -maybe ii
THis is all one length hair at 2". with no bangs/fringe/layers.
I do get frustrated-but- my hair has color damage, too, if I could get rid of that-
I think with good care it is definatly possible.
I have a friend with long straight waist length hair that is thin- but in good health- and I think it looks beautiful.

heidi w.
May 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
One strand of my hair is nearly invisible. I have a lot of volume, though. Look at my profile picture if interested in how long fine, straight hair can become with great hair care techniques and quality products.

heidi w.