PDA

View Full Version : Up-do observation ( on myself)

marikamt
April 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
I have been wearing my hair up at work for about 9 months now.... I have been doing it because it is 'good' for my hair, but have not really loved how it looked on me......

I learned how to do an infinity bun this week, and while playing around did one up higher (instead of my normal low/ nape of neck)... SO much better on me!!!!!! Way more attractive..... I may start really liking updos, not just doing them because they are good for me.....

morecowbell
April 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm glad you found a way to like updos on yourself! :D

I find the same thing to be true for me... I can't stand to have a bun/braid/pony at my nape. I think having the hair higher up on your head looks more youthful. :)

little_acorn
April 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
:flower: thats great, I know I don't like some updos on me because they can look so severe but somedays I can't be bothered to redo them into a more flattering style LOL!!

RenaBanana
April 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, I totally know what you mean! That's great that you figured out something that works for you, though. :cheese:

TiaKitty
April 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Cool! You learned new updo AND found out it flatters you.

I like to wear my updos higher up, as well. I hadn't thought of it as being more youthful, but had thought about it as drawing attention away from my double chin.

smilinjenn71
April 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
I feel your pain! Work requires me to keep my hair out of my face and/or up and I dislike updos on myself as well. I found that a high pony is MUCH better than the center of my head. Also, playing around with other styles. Recently I've been doing victory rolls (a 40's-50's hairstyle) and basically that style has saved my sanity!! lol

My hair isn't long enough to need protective styles yet:p

restourceful
April 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
They work better for me, too, higher up. I have layers and I find I have more hair to work with up higher. They more youthful looking part doesn't really apply to me since I'm gray with little granny glasses. :silly:

Arctic_Mama
April 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Low updos are fairly unflattering on me as they drag the weight line of the face and head downward, and I (at least) look better with that emphasis on my crown and eyes. My only reason for ever doing an updo lower than my ears is if it pulls too much higher up. Otherwise, it's very dating on me.

joiekimochi
April 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
When I do updos, I kind of push the hair on my crown up a little so it 'poufs' up and looks like a small bouffant/crown lift. I find that it makes my updo look more sophisticated, slims my face and elongates my short oval face! The secure bun holds the pushed up hair up smoothly! I used to do same thing with backcombing and hairspray, leading to hair loss on the crown, but now I find that this technique works so much better and yield nicer results without all that damaging work because the hair on my crown has grown in thicker, so more volume up there!

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
:) I'm happy for you.

I can't really do puffy or high anything with my hair. It suits me just fine--that'd look odd anyway. xD; On me, I mean--I tend to look better with severe, slicked back buns, I think.

julliams
April 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
I've been doing loads of updos in the last few months - mostly buns. At the end of March I went and got a trim at the same time as a girlfriend was getting her hair done (and in the same salon). My hair was trimmed, and heat styled so that it sat straight and blunt cut. My friend remarked how much younger I looked with it down and straight. She is a very close friend that I have know for 11 years and calls a spade a spade. It made me think about how my normal style might make me look older. All I can think is that maybe people see buns as being something older people wear???? I personally don't but maybe that is the thought amongst general public???

I like updos myself but I almost never keep the same one in for the whole day. It either falls out or I take it out because my hair is sore.

Masara
April 21st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I think I look better with higher updos too. I very rarely do any that sit at the nape. It's probably stupid, but they always feel heavier and they make me feel "weighed down"
If I'm going to do a lower bun, I often do a half up with a flexi-8 or something first which lifts my hair a bit.

Gumball
April 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
That's awesome! It's all about finding what really works for you on both of those levels. Containing the hair is one, and that aesthetic is the other. If you start liking updos then uh oh. Slippery slope!

kelly-j
April 22nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
That´s great. I wish I could start like having my hair in buns.
I´ll guess I have to practice more.

Aditi
April 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM
That's really cool!!! I am sure there will be lot more updo's which will compliment your style :)

naereid
April 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Huh. For some reason I'm always afraid that higher buns would harshly pull on my hair, so I keep them low. Thanks for making this thread and inspiring me to try it, too. :grnbiggri

All I can think is that maybe people see buns as being something older people wear???? I personally don't but maybe that is the thought amongst general public???
I think they do. And while I've personally managed to stop thinking this way, there's still one thing that makes me think of little old ladies. The word itself. :o Not in English, mind - I think "bun" is a perfectly adorable word! But translated to my own language, yikes, we've entered little old lady territory!
Probably because my own language carries a lot more outside baggage and associations than English does.

Pixna
April 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
I love wearing buns. I think they look good on me -- and if they make me look like a little old lady, so be it (cuz I am one! :laugh:). But, truthfully, I think they can look elegant. And I've never seen a little old lady wear cool hair toys in her bun (except for me, of course! ;)).

It can take a lot of experimentation to find a bun style and head location for it that suits you best. I'm glad you have found one. Keep playing around with it -- there are probably other styles you will like a lot, too.

Maddy25
April 22nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I know what you mean, I'm trying to decide if I will be growing out my bangs to be the same length as my hair or if I want to keep some just around chin length when its long to sort of tuck behind my ears with updos....I think I may look a little severe with no hair by my face :(

marikamt
April 22nd, 2010, 06:37 AM
Huh. For some reason I'm always afraid that higher buns would harshly pull on my hair, so I keep them low. Thanks for making this thread and inspiring me to try it, too. :grnbiggri

I think they do. And while I've personally managed to stop thinking this way, there's still one thing that makes me think of little old ladies. The word itself. :o Not in English, mind - I think "bun" is a perfectly adorable word! But translated to my own language, yikes, we've entered little old lady territory!
Probably because my own language carries a lot more outside baggage and associations than English does.

well, it is not on the very top of my head, but maybe 3/4 up than I usually do.... I also do a mini 'poof' on top (nothing huge, just more of a softness instead of severely pulled back)..... and when I do it higher like this, the back is somehow softer too....

JCFantasy23
April 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I find the same thing generally, more into a higher updo look. The exception (kind-of), is that many times I put my hair at the nape, leaving some face framing hair down, and secure as a ponytail, then twist the hair to the top of the head and secure, wrapping the hair into a bun of sorts. Does compliments for my face shape without looking harsh.

Schefflera
April 22nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I have trouble getting all of my hair to go straight back unless it's wet or pretty dirty, and when I leave it parted and try to gather it higher than the nape of my neck, it tends to look weird.

Mostly I am happy with my hair, but it is a little ornery about high updos.

sibiryachka
April 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM

Purely out of linguistics-geek curiosity :p, may I ask what that language is?

princessp
April 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear it, and good idea, I think I'll try this too!

naereid
April 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Purely out of linguistics-geek curiosity :p, may I ask what that language is?
Croatian. Just the thing for you, judging by your profile info. :grnbiggri