PDA

View Full Version : I'm having problems again.

coscass
April 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
My hair has steadily been getting worse and worse and I think I may know why. We ran out of condish a while ago, and my mom picked up some of that suave coconut stuff. Is that a protein conditioner? Because my hair hasn't been HORRIBLE, per say, but it's not a good condish to CO with IMO, and my hair seems to be more frizzy and rough at the ends. Of course, I could probably use a trim. It's been a few months.

Any ideas what I could do/try doing/stop doing?

I wash my hair 2-3 times a week with the suave coconut because that's all we have- though I have been putting a little bit of a coney condish in my DT lately to try and tame the frizz. I'm still not sure if I like coney condish or not. If this is what's causing my hair problems, and not the coconut condish, then I definitely don't like it.

I just don't know what to do. I'm getting fed up to the point of actually wanting to cut somewhere back to my shoulders.

What does it LOOK like I'm missing/doing wrong/not doing? Any ideas?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/hairmissingwhat.jpg

When it was this a few months ago:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/hairyayitslong.jpg

bunnii
April 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
First of all, your hair is lovely I don't see any need to cut at all. Maybe a trim to sort the rough ends :)

Maybe going back to the conditioner you were using before would help? You could also try some oil on the length before you wash, I believe you can oil with or without cones from what i've read people saying here.

Fractalsofhair
April 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Coconut is a slight protein condish, if your hair doesn't like protein, it may or may not like it. Just use up the coconut quickly if it bothers you and get a new one.

coscass
April 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
First of all, your hair is lovely I don't see any need to cut at all. Maybe a trim to sort the rough ends :)

Maybe going back to the conditioner you were using before would help? You could also try some oil on the length before you wash, I believe you can oil with or without cones from what i've read people saying here.
Aw, thank you, but I'm so annoyed with it right now I'm just about to give up. It's so THICK and HEAVY and FRIZZY, and not as managable as it was a few months back. It's getting to be a BOTHER, not a JOY.

My mom is at the store now, I think I'll have her pick some up. Also, I've tried oiling, and besides a very light coating to keep frizz at bay instead of gel, I just don't seem to get the hang of it. :(

Coconut is a slight protein condish, if your hair doesn't like protein, it may or may not like it. Just use up the coconut quickly if it bothers you and get a new one.
Ugh I've been trying. The last time we went to the store, we bought 4 or 5 $1 bottles so it's lasted for quite some time now. I think I'm going to ask her to buy another type while she's out today, or just pick up another, because this is getting out of control:(

FrannyG
April 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
We have entirely different hair types, but I so find that my hair gets rough-feeling every couple of months or so. I've never actually found the magic way to get rid of it. I just went through this last week, as a matter of fact.

Have you clarified your hair recently and done a deep moisturizing treatment? That's usually a good first step for me. Then I do a deep moisture treatment again, if that doesn't work.

I know that your hair looks beautiful, but I know that how it looks to me is not how it feels to you.

If clarifying and a deep moisture treatment or two don't help, perhaps get a teeny tiny trim. Sometimes just 1/4 of an inch trim can make a big difference.

I also agree with trying a different product.

I really hope your hair feels better soon. :blossom:

chopandchange
April 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Franny, you always give such good advice!

(Not that the other people's advice wasn't equally good, but Franny is always especially kind and helpful)!

Just saying. :)

coscass
April 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
We have entirely different hair types, but I so find that my hair gets rough-feeling every couple of months or so. I've never actually found the magic way to get rid of it. I just went through this last week, as a matter of fact.

Have you clarified your hair recently and done a deep moisturizing treatment? That's usually a good first step for me. Then I do a deep moisture treatment again, if that doesn't work.

I know that your hair looks beautiful, but I know that how it looks to me is not how it feels to you.

If clarifying and a deep moisture treatment or two don't help, perhaps get a teeny tiny trim. Sometimes just 1/4 of an inch trim can make a big difference.

I just clarified last night, and I'm trying to cut my DTs down. I've heard that too much moisture during warm months is just as bad as not enough. So I'm trying to find a balance. But thanks, and I hope it does, too.

Kristin
April 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM
I think there is an article that tells you what to do if you overdose on protein...I want to say you are supposed to give it loads of moisture...

EDIT: Found it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17
It's the protein disaster recovery article.

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
It has protein.

I'd try clarifying and getting rid of the cones first, and if that doesn't help, go off the Coconut.

I love Suave Coconut for CO, but sometimes it is a bit much protein wise.

marikamt
April 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM

and my hair is different than both of yours, yet I go through the same thing... every 3 or 4 months, my hair gets just BLECH..... frannyg is right, it does seem to sort itself out after a clarification and DT........ wish I could put my finger on what causes it......

Anje
April 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
I get rough ends from the Suave Coconut, due to protein. (Discovered this after clarifying and trimming both did nothing.) My recovery advice is similar to the article: lots of moisture. Get a non-protein condish (even if it's just a different Suave), use it instead, and try SMTs and the like. I went to SMT mix for every wash for a week or two, and I think that helped too.

lorig713
April 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM
I would say save up a $1.00 and try VO5 conditioner. You may like the results.

lovelylaura
April 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
and my hair is different than both of yours, yet I go through the same thing... every 3 or 4 months, my hair gets just BLECH..... frannyg is right, it does seem to sort itself out after a clarification and DT........ wish I could put my finger on what causes it......

What is DT? I didn't see it on the list of LHC abbreviations

halo_tightens
April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
What is DT? I didn't see it on the list of LHC abbreviations

I believe they're talking about "deep treatments." :flower:

lovelylaura
April 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
I believe they're talking about "deep treatments." :flower:

lol, that would make sense! Thanks!