PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Biotin in hair products?

waist2011
April 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
I was reading labels last night. I saw a brand of shampoo and Conditioner that had Biotin in them. I always thought that it has to be taken orally for it to be helpful for hair. Or is there a benefit of having it in the hair products. My thoughts were it's just a buzz word to throw around. What are your thoughts on this?

Magicknthenight
April 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
I was reading labels last night. I saw a brand of shampoo and Conditioner that had Biotin in them. I always thought that it has to be taken orally for it to be helpful for hair. Or is there a benefit of having it in the hair products. My thoughts were it's just a buzz word to throw around. What are your thoughts on this?

I could have sworn i just read something the other day about this. I believe it said something about how biotin isn't really absorbed well through the scalp :ponder:. I take it in a vitamin.
The last paragraph on this website talks about it in shampoos and conditioners.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4571723_biotin-help-hair-grow-faster.html said "Another dilemma regarding biotin arises when considering how biotin is delivered to the hair. Biotin is available in both oral supplement form and within hair care products that are applied topically, like shampoos and conditioners. If biotin actually does make hair grow faster, then your best bet is to take it in a vitamin form. Most evidence points to biotin not being able to penetrate the scalp, thus making it's use in topical hair products dubious. Using biotin enriched shampoos may make your hair appear thicker by adding volume to the hair shaft, but it's unlikely that it will increase the rate of hair growth. However, since biotin does contribute to overall health by helping both with metabolism and the manufacturing enzymes, it may possibly be helpful to take a supplement. And since it's water-soluble, there's virtually no risk of overdosing. However, there is also no guarantee that your hair will grow faster, so don't be lured in by any lavish claims of lengthy manes."

Of course theirs probably other websites that might say the exact opposite. Your hair might like the products wither the biotin helps or not. I wouldn't believe that just because of the biotin its *going to* help though. Its not really a sure thing. Theirs probably tons of products with biotin in them but all might make your hair react differently. I'm not really sure. I'll be watching for other replies though.:grin:

ETA: I didn't know how to put the website in a "here" button o-o

joiekimochi
April 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM
I used a shampoo with biotin for about 3+ months before taking biotin supplements orally. I noticed that the shampoo cut down on shedding, while the oral supplements made my hair grow longer faster.

julliams
April 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
I take biotin both as a vitamin and it's also in a lotion that I apply directly to my scalp. I was pretty skeptical about it but then I figured "why not" and have been massaging it in day and night for the last month. I have had really great growth of late but I also started applying Resolve (like Monistat) to my scalp and I feel it is this product that has sped up growth rather than the biotin lotion.

mellie89
April 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
I use a Nature's Gate conditioner with biotin when I'm having shedding issues. It definitely helps when I apply it to my scalp. I don't think it does much for my length, however.

Finoriel
April 22nd, 2010, 05:30 AM
If you´re following a regular routine and not leave on the product for extended timeframes ... I´d say it´s too short on your scalp to have much effect.
Even if biotin, in the amounts used in the product, would actually do something to hair growth when used externally. Which I´m sceptical about, too.

I actually thought the biotin in shampoos and conditioners would be used for conditioning/coating purposes of the length. In addition to ingredients like glycerin and cones... promising less frizz, detangling benefits, masking damage and all that.

lilalong
April 22nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
I really doubt that Biotin can be absorbed by your skin.