PDA

View Full Version : How should I communicate what I want?

MakeLoveNotWar
April 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that a trim is in order. My ends look and feel so scraggly, and overall it will look neater when it's trimmed up. I'm really scared of losing too much length, so I want to ask for a microtrim or dusting, but I'm worried the stylist won't understand or confuse what I want. I have a V-shaped hemline which I love and don't want to lose, so how do I communicate that I want to keep the hemline the same and only lose a teeny-tiny dusting of hair? I also need my layers trimmed up, but that'll be easier to specify. :confused:

tokidokichi
April 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
Instead of Telling her you want a micro trim or dusting, be more clear about exactly how much you want off. 1/4 inch? 1/8 inch? Tell her you want only that much length off all over, and you would like to keep your v-shaped hemline. Pretty much just tell her what you just told us here. You should have nothing to worry about :))

Heidi_234
April 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Even if you do it yourself, you might trim off little bit too much, so keep your expectations from the hairdresser accordingly. Make sure to stress that you're growing your hair out, and say you just need to trim the very ends. Show on your hair how much you mean by that. Say that you like the layers and the V shape (that part, IMO, they know how to deal with :wink:).

If it's your first time with this hairdresser, if you stress your desire for long hair, he or she would probably be very careful because they'd what you to come back. Show them how much is too much, and how much is definitely not acceptable. The more LHC weirdness you show, the less imposing they might be (the client's always right after all). Don't be afraid to come across funny or obsessed or anything, it's your hair on the line here!

And when the hairdresser gets to the trimming part watch carefully, and maybe even ask to see how much s/he's taking off. Don't let them push you (happened to me way to many times!).

My point is, let them know, and double check they know what you're after. I've been growing my hair from shoulder length to mid-back for 10 years because I was too shy to say what I really wanted, and kept being pushed to do things I didn't want to (layers etc). Don't make my mistake! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
I second what Heidi said. Make it clear that you don't want to get a new "haircut". keep your eyes at their scissors and tell them to STOP when you see long hair falling off. Not doing this resulted in very short bangs and layers on me, so watch out :(

Capybara
April 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM
It's also helpful to note that what a hairdresser may consider as one cm or one inch isn't exactly what you may think of as one cm or one inch. I'd suggest showing him/her exactly how much to take off - bring a ruler, if you must. I've brought various strips of paper to the hairdressers before, saying "This is how much I would like you to take off the back, this much off my bangs...etc :p ) It helps to make what you want more clear.

HTH :flower:

EtherealOde
April 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
I totally agree with Capybara, you simply cannot trust that their understanding of 1/8 inch or 1 cm or whatever amount you want removed is the same as your understanding of those numbers. Bring a small ruler, and a couple of paper strips in those exact widths so they have an exact visual reference of your wishes. Also, explain that you are not interested in getting 'all the damage' or whatever removed from your hair, you just want a certain amount removed and no more. Many times hairdressers will say they had to cut that much in order to remove damage, so you really want to take that option off the table right away.

As further incentive, you can explain that you realize this won't take as much of her time as a more elaborate cut might, so you tend to tip very well when you get exactly what you ask for and tend not to tip at all when a hairdresser is overzealous in their cutting. :) It may or may not be tacky, but who cares? Being sweet and passive and undemanding doesn't make your hair magically reappear, or grow it back any faster for that matter. You are there to receive a service you are paying for, and have every right to expect you will get what you want, not what the hairdresser thinks you need.

Delila
April 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Here's a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=175)to an article here with lots of great advice on this exact issue.