PDA

View Full Version : Iron Supplements

Purdy Bear
April 21st, 2010, 07:09 AM
I started taking an Iron supplement today (Dr said advised it) to help with hair growth.

Has anyone else had experience of using iron supplements and effects on hair.

Thanks
Purdy

tiggerousity
April 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Purdy Bear!

I would be interested in hearing how it affects your hair growth! I am constantly battling anemia. No noticable difference in my hair from when I take iron vs when I don't.

Are you anemic?

little_cherry
April 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Purdy ^_^
I've been taking iron for quite a while now..I don't know if I got any extra growth since I've been taking iron longer than measuring my hair, but I have definitely noticed that I shed way less than I used to.

talecon
April 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
I've noticed some hair growth by FINALLY taking my iron pills. I started taking them 3 months ago and I got a bunch of 3 inch hairs all over my head. also I read that scalp massages helps with hair growth. I try to do those when I remember

Purdy Bear
April 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM
Hi Purdy Bear!

I would be interested in hearing how it affects your hair growth! I am constantly battling anemia. No noticable difference in my hair from when I take iron vs when I don't.

Are you anemic?

I have Alopecia (Areata progressing into Univarlis), this means I have very little hair on my body at all. Since I also have a bad diet I wanted to try and see if it was caused by malnutrition (which I have had before) - this is due to my Leaky Gut Syndrome.

Since I began my research into hair, and with lots of help from this forum, my diet is improving and thus my hair has shown some regrowth (scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes, nasal).:cheese:

The Drs have never said I was Anaemic, but I have suspected it for some time.

morecowbell
April 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hmmm, are you taking it in a multivitamin form?
I take iron in my DMV, so it's probably not just the iron helping me, but I definitely notice faster hair and nail growth, and stronger nails when I take it.

HTH :)

Purdy Bear
April 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
No, just iron supplements. I have various allergies and intollerances, so I cant take a multivitamin.

tiggerousity
April 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Purdy Bear-
Three cheers for the hair growth! That is reason to celebrate :cheer:
Leaky gut and malnutrition. That sounds like quite a health challenge. Are you on a gluten-free diet?

Dars
April 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Purdy Bear you should insist your doctor gives you a blood test to check your iron stores and levels before he recommends an iron supplement. They are toxic when taken if the body doesn't need it. Please consider this even if you suspect you have anaemia, it's always better to know for sure to be safer. :flower:

jackiesjottings
April 26th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I was on iron tablets for some time due to iron deficiency anaemia, but unfortunately I didn't notice any extra hair growth :( Good luck :)

girlcat36
April 26th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I have been on iron for at least 5 years with no change in hair growth. Also my red blood cell count did not rise at all in 5 years time. But---I was only taking 28 mg iron glycinate. I have recently increased my iron dose, but-- important to note--doing so by having my blood tested often!!!

My ferritin has always been low, but in normal range(28), so I am trying to raise my ferritin. Low ferritin is implicated in hair loss. Normal ferritin range goes quite low(10), but for hair regrowth it should be at least 70.

skarab
April 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Those of you that take (/have taken) iron pills for anemia, what dose did you take and did it cause you GI distress? How long did it take for your levels to go up?

My iron was very low last I checked, but the high-potency pills had such painful side effects I couldn't take them. With the low-dose ones I have never managed to stick it out for long, because I have a really hard time swallowing pills. I'm hoping that improved diet has taken care of the problem at least in part, but I haven't checked yet.