PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something wrong? (pictures)

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2010, 06:15 AM
My hair a year ago (march):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=32426

august last year:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=46891

This was recent, last november:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=55600

This is a month ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=69391

Is it me, or is my hair getting thinner? Or just staying the same? I trim every 2 weeks mostly and I trimmed a big amount off last week (no pictures yet), but it isn't helping.
Or am I imagining things?

Maddy25
April 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM
It does look a little thinner in the last photo but it could also just be the styling, did you do anything different in the previous photos or was it freshly washed or something that would make it appear fuller?

Dreams_in_Pink
April 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I noticed your hair's getting straighter. Straight hair always looks thinner than curly hair.
Besides, in the last photo your hair looks greasy/wet. Could it be over-oiling/conditioning? Clarify your hair and let it air-dry, then compare.

Svenja
April 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM
I second Dreams in Pink, it might appear thinner because it's straighter now. Plus in the last image it looks like either it's quite oily, not dry yet or coated with something.

missmandy
April 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
I agree with everyone else. It looks like it's getting straighter, and the last picture looks a bit greasy.

SunDreamer76
April 21st, 2010, 07:03 AM
I think the last picture might be deceiving since you're in the shade... it appears your roots are dry and non-greasy, so I must disagree with the PPs about it looking wet/greasy. You have lovely hair, but it does actually look thinner AND shorter as time passes... but perhaps the PPs are right regarding it just appearing thinner because it's straighter... it also looks like you don't have as many layers now and perhaps that's taking away the look of fullness? Unless you are seeing a bunch of hair in your drain or your brush as proof that you're losing it... I wouldn't worry to much... as I said, you have a lovely head of hair.

Quahatundightu
April 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Wow I think we have really similar hair! I honestly think it's about the curl pattern and even the background (eg which coloured top you are wearing) At least for me, my hair can look dramatically different depending on how I dry it, and even what I'm wearing.

The last picture is very hard to tell, as it's in the shade and it looks like your hair has dried differently than in the others. What I think you should do is try taking another photo, freshly dried, with a similar colour top to what you were wearing in the ones where your hair looks thick. It will be much easier to compare then!! :)

dropinthebucket
April 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
It does look as though you are losing your curl, and that's the difference - can you think of anything in your routine that could be loosening your hair? (i've heard henna does this, and people use amla to combat it). I've used just amla, straight, and its curls galore! Still, that's not a long-term solution .... your hair is still really beautiful, anyway. Hope you figure out how to get your curl back, if you want it back.

Lady Mary
April 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Perhaps you shed a lot of hair after the winter. I know I did, tons!

pennyroyal
April 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
i agree with what others have said on here but i just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous in all of the pictures! it definitley does look straighter in the most recent one tho so that could be the culprit.

lapushka
April 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Pictures can be deceiving. Try taking several pictures of your hair, at various points: recently washed & dry, the day after, after a bun, after a braid, right before washing it, after washing it (when wet). Everyone has good hair days and bad hair days. You might actually be thinking it got thinner and it's just not so good a day where your hair is flatter, appears straighter than it usually does. You might not have chosen the right moment each time to take a picture.

In the last pic it looks wet, or oily, and that makes it look so much different than when it's recently washed and all fluffy.

I know mine looks different depending on when a pic is taken! Best is to take a progress pic at the exact same time each time, e.g. right after it's washed & dry. Then you can actually compare!

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
That newest picture was taken when it was wet, I should have said that! The straighter picture was how it dried up that day. My hair has it's own free will LOL. Yesterday it dried with waves again. I had indeed layers and I'm trying to grow them out. I loose very little hair daily and when washing also just a tiny bit (compared to other people)
I'll take a picture in the sun. That's what I normally try to do.
What is the best color clothes to photograph hair on?

pennyroyal
April 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
being your hair is kinda dark i would say a light color shirt~like white.

cindy58
April 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Why are you trimming so often?

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
It, uh, looks wet in the last picture. :shrug: I think that's the issue here. Otherwise, it looks the same to me, if I had to guess.

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Why are you trimming so often?

Because it grows so fast and I don't want my fairytale ends to look too sad :D

Beesweet
April 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM
How's your thyroid? Do you have any hypothyroid symptoms? Are you on any meds? You don't have to answer here, just maybe consider that.

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Yes I'm on medications :( not sure if it has any effect on my hair.

Here is a picture from today with a lighter background:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=69990

I like my hair better in this picture, it shows the color nicer:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=69989

pennyroyal
April 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM
it looks beautiful to me!

Oskimosa
April 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
Yea, the verdict is in, its a texture thing :) Your hair just looks thinner to you because of the straightness. Btw, you take lovely photos!! I'm not sure which I envy more, the color, or your cute clothes, lol!

ilovelonghair
April 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Oskimosa, it must be the clothes: because your hair color is nicer :p. I got that dress from a second hand store for only $4.50!

Thanks for the compliments everybody!

I just have another question: to chop or not to cop the fairytale ends?

Flynn
April 22nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
I noticed your hair's getting straighter. Straight hair always looks thinner than curly hair.

This. I think your hair just looks "bigger" in the first pictures -- not truly any thicker.

fluffer
April 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM
You have a gorgeous hair!

Oil and silicone build up makes my hair look thinner and shorter.
Also the weather plays a role. My hair looks thicker during humid/rainy days.

pennyroyal
April 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
i vote for no trim! i love your fairytale ends!
but obviously it's up to you~whatever makes you happy. :)

spidermom
April 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
The current picture really isn't very good for comparison purposes. Perhaps get another one in good light?

bumblebums
April 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
My hair deflates in a similar manner from the first to the last day of the wash cycle. I think it's just what 2c ii hair does.

ilovelonghair
April 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
The current picture really isn't very good for comparison purposes. Perhaps get another one in good light?

I tried to take that one in sunlight, but the sun wasn't very strong that day. Got to take another one. I'll try to get one with curls :)

Belisarius
April 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Oskimosa, it must be the clothes: because your hair color is nicer :p. I got that dress from a second hand store for only $4.50!

Thanks for the compliments everybody!

I just have another question: to chop or not to cop the fairytale ends?
I actually like fairytales, so i vote for no chopping.