PDA

View Full Version : Urge to cut hair off!

kateeg
April 21st, 2010, 04:51 AM
So, I have very damaged hair from three years of bleaching and dyeing that I've been trying to resuscitate after finding LHC. My hair is, at the minute, -just- short of APL when pulled straight, shoulder length when curly. I've been doing protein treatments of all descriptions, oiling, conditioning, every protective measure I can find. But it just isn't helping! My hair splits and breaks more every day, no matter how much i trim, and although my hair is longer than it has been for years, I don't know if it's worth trying to keep the length when it's of such poor quality.

A little voice in my head has been telling me just to cut the lot off- or at least, up to the ~5 inches of relatively good condition hair that grew after I went cold-turkey on bleach, permanent chemical dyes and hairdryers (although I still use an ammonia/peroxide free semi-permanent).

I know members on here have managed to grow their hair out from damage without resorting to a big chop, but right now, it seems pretty daunting. I'd be sad to lose the length I worked so hard for, but at the same time, it would be a relief not to stress about it all the time! While it would make life easier, I do have to bear in mind that if I were to get my hair cut short (and, once it's curly, -very- short), I have to work in an office over summer on an internship, and part-time paid in a sweet shop, so there are professional dress-code issues and health and hygiene factors to consider.

Does anyone have any kind advice for me? TIA :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 21st, 2010, 04:55 AM
I say go for microtrims and maintain at shoulder length until all damage is gone. Chopping it all off now will only make you lose length.

During this time, keep your ends in a protective style, use satin pillowcases, detangle with your fingers.

christinemariep
April 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM
Well, it sounds as if you are ok with losing length to get back to healthy hair. I would be too. When I got a bad perm several years ago, I ended up getting a cute short haircut because I was tired of obsessing over the damage. Nothing I did really made my hair look better with its perm damage, so I started over. Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

kateeg
April 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Dreams in Pink- Thank you for your contribution, it's nice to see that someone thinks it would be possible to salvage this without losing length :) I wasn't really sure how I would go about it, so thank you very much for your advice and input, I'll certainly consider it.

Christine Marie P- While I'm not overly thrilled at the idea of losing length, the idea doesn't scare me so much because for about two years I wore my hair in a very short POB- 6 inches at the front, maybe 1 inch at the back, and my hair springs up even shorter... So I'm kindof ok about having short hair, because I know i quite enjoyed it. I really don't know what to do next! But thank you for your input, and it's nice to hear about someone feeling the same about the constant obsessing over damage, it drives me insane! Thank you kindly for sharing your experience

alwayssmiling
April 21st, 2010, 05:50 AM
I was in the same situation last year. I was told (by a hairdresser) I would have to have my hair cut above my ears to get rid of all the bleach damage that I had done. It was breaking at an alarming rate. I can't do short hair - at all.

I decided to do micro trims and S&D (almost daily). I stopped all the things that damage my hair and experimented with treatments etc (to try and prevent further damage - existing damage will eventually have to be trimmed off). It wasn't brilliant. For the whole of the winter I have had my hair tied back, using an alice band to tie back dodgy layers/breakage. I was complimented only on the hats that I wore, I wore some clip in extentions for nights out. And there were moments were I felt it wasn't growing at all. I'm now coming out the other side. Breakage has slowed down considerably, I now have to really hunt for splits, its starting to really grow! I'm at the stage where I'm considering a light trim to even things up so I can wear my hair down a bit more and be proud of it. My aim is to get to BSL then maintain the length until all my pre LHC hair is cut off.

It depends on you really. If the damage is going to really bother you, you may be better having a decent chop and starting with lovely fresh hair. Thats the easiest option. But if cutting is something that you don't want to do it is possible to trim slowly.

countryhopper
April 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM
There's a great article on growing out damaged hair. Check it out (on the top of this page) and see if you can apply any of the tips mentioned!

I'd give it a couple months of microtrims like the other posters have mentioned. If you really can't stand it after at least trying mini trims, at least you know that you gave it your best shot. Then just trim off an inch at a time.

Dani
April 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM
You can totally have longer hair and don't have to chop it off. Dustings are great, and you don't have to do them often. Just do it once every couple months, or whatever you're comfortable with.

I've been where you are many times, and gotten "through it", and with a little bit of time and lots of deep conditioning, oiling and taking care of your hair (as you've been doing), you absolutely WILL see a difference and things will change, and it's not far away at all! Seriously, there comes a point (very soon!) where you will notice that your hair is breaking less, it's looking and feeling softer, and it will look SHINY, and you'll be all, How did that happen? Is this real? And then I'll be like, Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. :D And then I'll have another cup of coffee and both of our hair will grow and be beautiful and it will be awesome. :D :p :cheese: hee.

I'm not kidding though; that's how it works. Your hair will be very different in no time at all, and it will just get better from there. :cool: *pinkyswears*

Forever_Sophie
April 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
I would do the same thing and cut the damaged hair then load up on biotin, etc! I'd rather be dealing with healthy hair, esp. when nothing seems to be helping. I've done it before. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Mariah!!
April 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM
I had very bad hair in HS and I had died it many times. When I was 17 I died it one last time for a special occasion, and I have not died it since. My hair was shorter than it is now, and even though I had died it burgandy, it faded to a weird lighter redish brown color lighter than my naturally brown hair. I hated how my hair was so unhealthy, and I wanted long hair, and the only person I trusted to cut my hair or trim it was my mother in law. I let her cut it a little too much for my liking one time, and it got the last of the dye out of my hair. That was the only good part. I didn't like my length, but I did like the health. It grew out to the length it is now, and I am 22 now. I have only micro trimmed it since that hair cut other than once. It was about a year and a half ago. I cut it a little past shoulder. So in about a year and a half with only 2 micro trims it has grown to the length it is in my avatar.

I cant tell you what I would do if I were you, but its a tough disission. I hope it works out the way you want it!!

Fractalsofhair
April 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Try an SMT. A deep moisture treatment might be what you need after protein treatments.

Also, I suggest microtrims, unless your undamaged hair is getting damaged from splits traveling up it.

MAO
April 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
So, I have very damaged hair from three years of bleaching and dyeing that I've been trying to resuscitate after finding LHC. My hair is, at the minute, -just- short of APL when pulled straight, shoulder length when curly. I've been doing protein treatments of all descriptions, oiling, conditioning, every protective measure I can find. But it just isn't helping! My hair splits and breaks more every day, no matter how much i trim, and although my hair is longer than it has been for years, I don't know if it's worth trying to keep the length when it's of such poor quality.

A little voice in my head has been telling me just to cut the lot off- or at least, up to the ~5 inches of relatively good condition hair that grew after I went cold-turkey on bleach, permanent chemical dyes and hairdryers (although I still use an ammonia/peroxide free semi-permanent).

I know members on here have managed to grow their hair out from damage without resorting to a big chop, but right now, it seems pretty daunting. I'd be sad to lose the length I worked so hard for, but at the same time, it would be a relief not to stress about it all the time! While it would make life easier, I do have to bear in mind that if I were to get my hair cut short (and, once it's curly, -very- short), I have to work in an office over summer on an internship, and part-time paid in a sweet shop, so there are professional dress-code issues and health and hygiene factors to consider.

Does anyone have any kind advice for me? TIA :)

Have you tried cassia? I just tried putting some in my last henna mix. I made a mix of 1/3 henna, 1/3 cassia, and 1/3 amla. My hair feels AWESOME!~ Too bad I already cut all my hair off last week before trying the cassia! :p

If you use cassia by itself, it won't color your hair. Your hair will just feel very nice and look healthier ;). I found the Light Mountain brand at my local health food store for $5.99.

Ah yes, as Fractalsofhair mentioned, a good deep moisture treatment. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=snowymoon%27s"]

Grrrrr, the stupid hyperlink isn't working for me! Just copy and paste it :)

kateeg
April 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Oh my goodness! Thank you all kindly for sharing such a wealth of information! It's been wonderful to hear everyone's experiences, and it's given me a lot of hope and a little more confidence than before to keep doing what i've been doing, rather than "give up" as it were and do the big cut.

I will certainly be going away to research all your valuable suggestions and will make them my next set of experiments, as several commenters have pointed out it definitely seems better to give every other possible option a go before opting for the most drastic one! I can't thank everyone enough for their kind help, everyone in real life thinks I'm insane talking about "weird" things we do to our hair here. I just can't get over how lovely and helpful and willing to pass on experience and knowledge here at LHC!