PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Yahoo news today?

countryhopper
April 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM
They had an article on "What Men Really think About Women's Hair".

I found it quite interesting. It said that most men love to WATCH a woman put up her hair (I think that response was even more popular than just having her hair down!)

There were other surprisinig observations made... What's your thoughts?

TXbarbie
April 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hmm idk it's hard to say what they think, since I'm a girl :) All I can provide is this:

- my boyfriend thinks long hair is pretty, but down to hip is too long (aka he likes the long hair style that is popular at our college - down to waist practically)

- straight hair > curly hair

Do you ever watch Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo? Patti said that there was a study done and guys like the blown out look better than the natural/straight look, and tells many of the girls to straighten their hair before meeting the guys!

countryhopper
April 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Yes! That's another point they brought out... mid length locks are sexier than mega long ones (at least in the opinion of the guys they interviewed!)

Sorry, I'd post a link to the article but I'm computer illiterate :D Anyone care to try? THANX!

talecon
April 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/what-men-really-think-about-your-hair-1268349/

there ya go :)

mellie89
April 21st, 2010, 12:34 AM
I think those studies are silly on some level, since every guy is going to have a different opinion, and you shouldn't really make sweeping generalizations.

It is interesting that guys seem to like the asymmetrical look. I asked DBF and he said, "What's that?" :p

countryhopper
April 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
thanks for the link, talecon!

IcarusBride
April 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
I'm also surprised that so many men said they like the asymmetrical cut. Most guys I know don't realize it's supposed to be that way; when they see asymmetrical cuts they think that it was an accident!

I think it's kind of silly, too, that under the blurb about 'mega long hair' it has a link to "styles for mega long hair" and they are all APL? Not hating APL but I don't think it's quite "mega" haha...

Olivia23
April 21st, 2010, 01:52 AM
Hmmm, there are times at work when my updo will become loose and a few times when I'm trying to wrap my hair back up in a bun some of the the men will stop what they are doing just to watch. At first I didn't realize what they were staring for so I apologized and they said no, keep going lol!

Dreams_in_Pink
April 21st, 2010, 04:32 AM
Asymmetric haircut? :/ i don't think so. Sure, there can be a group of men who likes that kind of "extreme" haircuts on women but i don't think majority thinks that way. There was another article which suggested that men loved hair that's touchable, no matter straight, curly, short or long. That made most sense among these "what haircuts do men love?" articles.

Heidi_234
April 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
That was the silliest read I've ever done.
At least mid-thigh length hair is still hot. Phew!

AgnesONutter
April 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Really, I think men are as conditioned as women as to what is hot and what is not. Ask again if 50 years, and the answers will have changed. After all, when they think sexy, they will think their girlfriends and whatever hot stars they like, right? And then they will think what kind of hair they wear...and then you have the answer.

My boyfriend likes my hair as it is, at solid waist slowly inching towards tailbone. He likes it in half ups, he likes it in braids, he likes it loose, he likes it in buns...he likes it because it is my hair, and because it smells nice (seems to be the most important to him).

Purdy Bear
April 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
There is a You Tube video about the same subject, it discuss all the ******es, very interesting indeed.

Angela_Rose
April 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
I found the bit about "watching her put her hair up" fascinating, as I've seen this happen myself. Granted, getting my hair up can be quite the process (as we all know), but I've certainly stopped guys (and gals) in their tracks with my hair being put up.

bumblebums
April 21st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Well, on asymmetric haircuts, I think I might know what's going on. They emphasize the symmetry of the facial features, which evolutionary psychologists have found to be a strong predictor of attractiveness. I mean, look here: http://nessarosse.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lisbeth-salander.jpg An asymmetric cut can also help disguise asymmetry--so people like Shannen Doherty might opt for them. Not everyone can pull a symmetric style off--everything has to be in the right place for that to work :)

Liave Ekeli
April 21st, 2010, 07:26 AM
I think it's kind of silly, too, that under the blurb about 'mega long hair' it has a link to "styles for mega long hair" and they are all APL? Not hating APL but I don't think it's quite "mega" haha...

I thought that was a bit funny too. It just goes to show that many LHCers, being exposed to really long hair (tailbone, classic and beyond) have a different set of definitions when it comes to what's long and what's not. In my opinion APL qualifies as long hair, but definitely not 'mega long'.

toaster
April 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM
Because I'm privvy to "guy talk", my observation is that most guys like a woman to be stunningly beautiful, but it needs to look like she's not trying. That's maybe why the asymmetrical look scored high, because it looked good, but accidental.
Nobody wants a woman that is totally caught up in making herself look good, her priorities are all wrong. Fancy hairdo's and a lot of makeup aren't really that appealing.
Funny thing is that a plain, natural look is not appealing either. The ideal is someone that looks like a runway model, but just got out of bed that way. It's a fantasy, I know.

bumblebums
April 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Funny thing is that a plain, natural look is not appealing either. The ideal is someone that looks like a runway model, but just got out of bed that way.

I have seen a lot of runway models on the streets of my city in their unadulterated, pre-make-up guises. You're totally right--the look is not particularly appealing. Runway models don't look like runway models when they get out of bed.

countryhopper
April 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
The ideal is someone that looks like a runway model, but just got out of bed that way. It's a fantasy, I know.

So my night time sock curls and satin pillowcase wouldn't cut it, then, huh?:rolleyes: :D

Lamb
April 21st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Because I'm privvy to "guy talk", my observation is that most guys like a woman to be stunningly beautiful, but it needs to look like she's not trying. That's maybe why the asymmetrical look scored high, because it looked good, but accidental.
Nobody wants a woman that is totally caught up in making herself look good, her priorities are all wrong. Fancy hairdo's and a lot of makeup aren't really that appealing.
Funny thing is that a plain, natural look is not appealing either. The ideal is someone that looks like a runway model, but just got out of bed that way. It's a fantasy, I know.

Right. So guys
1) don't like women who are pretty and have to put in some work to be like that.
2) don't like women who are pretty but don't put in any work to be like that.

What they do like is something that doesn't exist. Okay. Gotcha. :rolleyes: I thought high school graduation was the cutoff point for that kind of nonsense.

TiaKitty
April 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Well, Lamb... he said it was a fantasy... LOL!

I can kind of understand, with two regards. First, I have had the putting hair up, taking it down phenomenon happen. When I worked in a cubicle farm, as well as when I dated a guy with 4 brothers and no other women in the house. They would all be fixated. Their Dad, too. Pops explained that the two edges on the woman scale (as he saw it) were librarian vs vixen, and that the change between the two (in either direction, up or down) was especially exciting...

Also, I can see how it could be that way, based on some of my reactions to men. For example, as a child, I remember being fixated sitting on the top of the toilet, watching my father shave. As an adult, every time I've seen one of my mates shave, it's been with that same degree of fascination...

dropinthebucket
April 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
Toaster, too funny. :) I teach cultural studies, and we just did a whole unit on the "deliberately natural" look in products (like Got2Be's "Tousle Me Softly" and "Bedhead" hair lotions) - this is a really interesting thread in comparison to the '80s hair thread! 'cause there was *nothing* natural about 80's hair!! :D like one poster said, styles change - the one thing "hot styles" all have in common is that they're *not* what's most achievable for most people. In the middle ages, a receding hairline was actually considered beautiful, so women shaved their hair back! In the '80s, totally huge hair, which no one had! I think it is not just "men thinking that way," either - i think it's how marketers sell us products, because if we already had what was supposed to be hot or beautiful, we wouldn't need to buy anything. 'nuff said. :)

Hypnotica
April 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Right. So guys
1) don't like women who are pretty and have to put in some work to be like that.

What they do like is something that doesn't exist. Okay. Gotcha. :rolleyes: I thought high school graduation was the cutoff point for that kind of nonsense.

As I have also been privy to men's conversations about woman, I like to boil down the statement to: Men like women that are stunningly beautiful, and are still stunningly beautiful right out of bed.

The neat part of that is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and love makes everyone stunningly beautiful.

To add my own observations: Men like women that look pretty made up, but prefers the "natural" beauty. I'm that way with men. I guess that "unmade" look is more true....

marikamt
April 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think the 'natural thing' that guys like depends on HOW natural.... I think the key is, they want us looking like girls (at least what i can figure out from DH)

example-
If I roll out of bed, throw my hair up and a sweat suit on and go on w/ my day, DH is not thrilled... he won't really say anything, but will hint at he would like to see me 'dressed up'

Now if instead of hair up, I do a half up or a pony tale and yoga pants instead of sweats, he is happy. To him, I look 'sexy'.... (and I am just as comfortable as I was in sweats)

Now heels and a skirt..... he will do my bidding... mwahahahaha ...........

I also think some men THINK they like the look of a 'fake' girl, but if they had to deal w/ one in real life, it may be a different story.

Fractalsofhair
April 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
A lot of guys are obsessed by women styling their hair, but I've heard mainly it's because they wish they had as many style options as women(and I tell them to grow their hair out, but do they listen? Not normally! xD The ones that do grow their hair out generally avoid the crazy heat styling though.). Guys in my age group seem to just want a girlfriend, period, who they care about and find attractive. Attractive doesn't seem to mean much though, and it's generally in relation to the guy's own attractiveness. My DBF considers me to be a good catch because he thinks I'm more attractive than he is(he's quite skinny and I'm average weight, so I guess so? I don't quite see why he thinks that, but w/e.), and the other girls he's considered asking out before we were dating weren't regarded as average at his school. I doubt your average guy honestly expects he'll date a supermodel, even if he has a great personality.

shadowclaw
April 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Pops explained that the two edges on the woman scale (as he saw it) were librarian vs vixen, and that the change between the two (in either direction, up or down) was especially exciting...

Hahaha... that is delightful! I still don't know why it's exciting, but it puts the whole concept into better perspective.

Based on the article, it seems that men like a girl with almost any hair, which implies that there are other more important qualities that will make or break the overall beauty of a woman. The asymmetical thing is also a surprise, because of the whole beauty in symmetry thing. But whoever pointed out that an asymmetrical haircut will make the face appear more symmetrical may be onto something!

And yes, I do think men are attracted most to the ideal of a woman who climbs out of bed looking just as stunning as she does made up. However, the fresh out of bed look and the made up look don't have to be the same -- they just both have to be attractive!

chopandchange
April 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Right. So guys

Ha ha ha that made me laugh so much.

Silly men.

Oskimosa
April 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Yeea... any article or statement beginning with the words "Men like" or "Guys don't like" automatically loses any credibility. How can you throw all of one gender into a shallow pool? It wasn't so long ago that people began embracing feminism to remove similar stereotypes on women. I dunno, maybe I ought to feel sorry for any poor souls (there can't be many) who read into this article with more than a grain of salt!

ETA: Not talking members. Not flaming anyone at all, you guys have too much sense :)

*thecatsmeow*
April 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah I read that article just before I logged on here ha ha, umm yeah it seemed to me that from what I read on that article is that men like any hair style as long as a woman wears it confidently :rolleyes:. No definitive answers to be found there ha ha. I think it was funny also that men like to watch you put your hair up or take it down? I think maybe its just that you are playing with your hair and men like to see women playing with their hair because it can be an unconscious sign that they are flirting with them.... I know what my husband likes, natural and long but not too long, and he likes when my hair is down as apposed to up.

BattahZ
April 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM
Re: the attraction of watching a woman put her hair up or down - I think a lot of it also has to do with the kind of intimacy of the act. Putting your hair up is something you usually do before you leave your house, so it may be something that people (men or women) aren't exposed to as much if they or their partners don't do it. Particularly with really long hair, since most people don't have that. And letting your hair down is also kind of a "I'm about to do something" gesture. Not necessarily a suggestive gesture, but I've heard a lot of guys indicate that a woman taking her hair down is a sexy-librarian-letting-down-her-bun kind of thing that they dig.

Re: what toaster said, my $.02 from observing my husband are these: though he, from time to time, appreciates it when I get all "did up," generally high-maintenance women don't appeal to him. And by "high maintenance" I mean spending a lot of time on makeup all the time, refusing to leave the house without a full face of makeup on and fixed-up hair, impractical shoes and outfits, etc. But he also thinks women (and men) should take some care of themselves - wear neat clothes, take care of skincare/some makeup/shave, etc. It's a happy medium between being a slob and spending too much time fixating on your appearance.

Then again, as others said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I look pretty terrible first thing in the morning, but he tells me I look beautiful. So, somehow it all works out!

tommiefromva
April 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm male and I will second look if it's APL or longer. Mine is APL. Tommie

Copasetic
April 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
I think these surveys are pretty strange. If forced to pick, a guy will probably say he likes long hair more than short, or straight hair more than wavy. But that doesn't mean he can't meet a girl with a curly pixie cut and find her totally hot.

Anywhere
April 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
this is kind of funny to read actually. When I put my hair up with a hair stick in front of my (female) friends it just blows their minds, but guys don't seem to care.

DBF likes my hair long and natural (aka natural color and wurly/curly). He wants me to wear makeup though.

exBF liked the hair long, dyed, and fried(straightened) but would get upset if I mentioned putting makeup on.

but like people've previously stated, not all guys like the same thing. It's still interesting though.

goodenough
April 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
My husband knows better than to express opinions on makeup or hair if not asked. But since he's known me forever...I do try to get it out of him sometimes, more because I want to look good, and he probably has some valid observations.

He doesn't care long or short, but he doesn't think bangs look as good on me. He likes my natural color and texture, which is dark and straight. He hates when I fuss and put makeup on, but this has to do with him wanting me to feel fine just the way I am, and wanting to leave the house on time:) He likes when I dress up once in a while when we go out. I think it would be sad if I look all hot to go out with the girls, and don't put any effort into looking nice for a special date with him. But he'd be happy if that was a twice a year thing.

In general, one look that makes both of us go ewww is gelled curls. Curls that have the wet look make us both gag. At least we can bond over that:)

Euphony
April 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
this is kind of funny to read actually. When I put my hair up with a hair stick in front of my (female) friends it just blows their minds, but guys don't seem to care.

hahahaha I had this happen at a festival before! Hubby and I were at a booth that had hair sticks, I wasn't sure if the stick would hold my hair so the girl selling them told me to go ahead and try it. So I unraveled my braid and proceeded to put my hair up with the stick. I heard this woman behind me say LOOK she's putting her hair up with a stick! After I was done, I turned around and there must've been ten women staring at me LOL.

My hubby met me when I had short (for me) hair, it was just brushing my collar bone. He loved my hair then and adores it now. I've asked him how long he would want my hair - he wants it to my ankles LOL. But he's also told me if I want to cut it off to my ears he's fine with it too.

Curly, wavy, straight - I don't think it matters to him.

Unofficial_Rose
April 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Right. So guys

Not entirely sure women are that different on that score - we would like to see a muscular physique but would be put off by someone who spent half their life in the gym. Or look handsome but not as if they've spent hours preening and grooming. Yes, it's a pipe dream! But hey, we can all dream. :)

StephanieB
April 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM
I appreciate toaster's complete honesty. (tommie's too)

How daunting it must be for a man to post anything here, regarding generalized gender isues?!
Yes - we have men here, but far more women than men...

I've always been impressed by LHC's guys!
(and sometimes I cringe for them, ie - on their behalf, after reading and/or posting in some very women-specific thread here, btw :D)

sweet*things
April 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
There's always exceptions, but I think most men prefer an enhanced natural look. A little bit of makeup, enough to look fresh and healthy, but not so much that it looks like a mask.

My DH doesn't think too much about my hair, which is fine with me, but I think he prefers it down and touchable (not a lot of hairspray or hair pins to deal with). He doesn't really care what I do to it, as long as I'm happy with it. :) He keeps telling me not to color because he's afraid I'll mess it up (in my own opinion) and be unhappy with myself for months. :D

StephanieB
April 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hrmmph

I didn't see a single pic of really long hair pic there, never mind mega-long hair.

Neither did hubby. (and I asked him just to "please pick out the very long hair pix" - without telling him why or what my reasons were)

PhillyGirl1978@
April 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hmm idk it's hard to say what they think, since I'm a girl :) All I can provide is this:

- my boyfriend thinks long hair is pretty, but down to hip is too long (aka he likes the long hair style that is popular at our college - down to waist practically)

- straight hair > curly hair

Do you ever watch Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo? Patti said that there was a study done and guys like the blown out look better than the natural/straight look, and tells many of the girls to straighten their hair before meeting the guys!

Lol...yeah I watch that show...she's is SO wrong! At least in my experience...dudes love long hair...period!! Most think my wild curls are sexy and uninhibited....messy and kinda like bed head. But I have gotten that they love watching us put it up and or take it down. It's too funny!!! My most recent ex almost started drooling when I'd put it up! We were at dinner...and our food came and I go to do a peacock twist...he's like..."that's so not fair" I told him...unless he wanted to eat my hair...I had to put it up!lol I do it all the time...what a rush!!lol Really just playing with it in anyway does it for them. Simple creatures!lol

countryhopper
April 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Did they mention anything about color? i'll have to go back and look...

Crazy article. :D

I wonder what they would have said had it been interviewing women about men's hair...

VitaR86
April 22nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
hahahaha I had this happen at a festival before! Hubby and I were at a booth that had hair sticks, I wasn't sure if the stick would hold my hair so the girl selling them told me to go ahead and try it. So I unraveled my braid and proceeded to put my hair up with the stick. I heard this woman behind me say LOOK she's putting her hair up with a stick! After I was done, I turned around and there must've been ten women staring at me LOL.

My hubby met me when I had short (for me) hair, it was just brushing my collar bone. He loved my hair then and adores it now. I've asked him how long he would want my hair - he wants it to my ankles LOL. But he's also told me if I want to cut it off to my ears he's fine with it too.

Curly, wavy, straight - I don't think it matters to him.
lol, I'm sure that if I had been there, I would have been one of those 10 women. :)

Lamb
April 22nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
Re: the attraction of watching a woman put her hair up or down - I think a lot of it also has to do with the kind of intimacy of the act.

Honestly, I think the same applies to just about any article of clothing other than a winter coat. ;)

FrannyG
April 22nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
I hope no one takes these articles seriously. They are written solely to attract readers who desperately want to fit in.

In real life, I have observed that the average man doesn't notice the difference between APL length and waist length. Men who say they don't like women who wear makeup will often gush over a woman who wears makeup when she doesn't ordinarily.

Nothing is black and white or cut and dried about what people find attractive in others. Even most people don't know themselves what they find attractive on a permanent basis. Usually it has to do with a lot more than hair, clothing or makeup.

VitaR86
April 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
FrannyG -- You are absolutely correct. I'm sure that article was roughly put together and was just some easy project for a random bored writter.

Khiwanean
April 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
In real life, I have observed that the average man doesn't notice the difference between APL length and waist length. Men who say they don't like women who wear makeup will often gush over a woman who wears makeup when she doesn't ordinarily.I've noticed this too. Some time ago, I got about 4 inches chopped off and even DBF didnt notice.
You can't really lump all men in together as to their likes and dislikes for hair. Even I like midlength to long, but I also really like a chin-length cut. It's artificial to force someone to choose any one preferred length or texture.