PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Grow Out Have A Preferance?

Natalia
April 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Since i had to give up chem dying over a year ago due to a series of bad reactions ive had some fustration with my chem dyes length wanting/liking something and my roots detesting it or vise versa. My roots were ok with herbs washes but i didnt get to experiment much becasue my length retaliated so fiercley so i went back to CO which the last 5 inches of my hair adores, the middle is ok with and the roots feel finebut dont style well and get clumpy. What have the rest of you multi-toners discovered on your way to virgin or mostly virgin hair? How do you handle it? Hybrid washes? Or just let one part of your be more of a pain in order to benefit the other?

Juliannaissance
April 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I do CWC and my roots get really dry for the first day or two, and then it becomes a grease pit...the middle of my length gets soft and the ends are a little dry...Weird hair considering that I dyed it 3 times, but am going natural, and my virgin hair is 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length. :cheese:

IcarusBride
April 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
There's no option for "No."
My roots and length are both happy with WO washes every day and coconut oil every few days.

Dientje
April 21st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Like IcarusBride said, no "No" option.. My hair is happy from roots to tips with just a simple SC wash. Just make sure the condish is on the length before shampooing, then rinse it all out together.

Dars
April 21st, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm more on the no option. I do commercial no cone SC, with the shampoo just on the scalp and letting the suds rinse over the length and the conditioner is all over as well. Works for me, aka both roots and length are happy to date.

MerryKat
April 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM
I find that the only thing which keeps both my scalp, virgin roots and colour abused length happy is NW/SO (with the odd WO if I need to rinse out dirt or smells)

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hmm....I chose keeping everything happy because my current routine of CO, WO and oiling seems to do just that.

Natalia
April 22nd, 2010, 02:20 AM
There's no option for "No."
My roots and length are both happy with WO washes every day and coconut oil every few days.

Lol thats what the ceese/sleepy OP option was for :p.

Like IcarusBride said, no "No" option.. My hair is happy from roots to tips with just a simple SC wash. Just make sure the condish is on the length before shampooing, then rinse it all out together.

So you do a sort of hybrid? Condish to protect the length then do you add more condih after pooing the scalp or just rinse out as is?

I'm more on the no option. I do commercial no cone SC, with the shampoo just on the scalp and letting the suds rinse over the length and the conditioner is all over as well. Works for me, aka both roots and length are happy to date. I am jelous..... :p

Dars
April 22nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
I am jelous..... :p
Aw, no reason to be. It took me nearly a year to come back to it having S/C all my life prior to LHC. I was CO for a while but it just doesn't work for me in this country :(

Arctic_Mama
April 23rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
Well nothing I do seriously bothers either my scalp or length, but I do have a skin condition I have to manage by not letting my scalp get too grimy (and thus irritates) so I wash my length more than I want to in order to maintain a happy scalp.

It's still only twice a week, though! And by oiling my length and keeping conditioner off my roots both seem quite happy.

Heavenly Locks
April 23rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
My roots like an SLS & Cone free shampoo but my length hates it. I am trying to find a balance between clean roots and moisturized length. My ends have been really dry and upset lately. But my scalp and roots are happy! :(

Khiwanean
April 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm still trying to find a way to make my scalp happy. It is slightly happier than it has been, but it still gets greasy buildup extremely quickly. My length is much happier since I've joined LHC though!

vindo
April 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
My hair likes the same things all over. I think if hair does not its mostly damage or an imbalance. Hair is not a person, there is certain thing good for it healthwise, and then there is things that just have a great effect but are not necessarily healthy...;)

Natalia
April 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ok glad im not the only one stull struggling with this and also good to see so many ideas :). Thanks all!

windinherhair
April 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
My hair is partly dyed, and I haven't had any problems using the same treatment on all my hair. I usually shampoo my scalp and condition my length, and I use organic. It all works the same for me.

Tegaladwen
April 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I wash my scalp with either my shampoo bar for greasy roots or a normal shampoo. On my length I use a organic conditioner. My hair seems to like this routine at the moment with also a little coconut oil on the tips for that dryness I get there.

Laylah
April 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I voted :cheese:

Keeping both roots and length happy is not too hard for me...Mostly I work my routine around what my roots like (wash with shampoo once per week for oil, WO everyday for dirt), and I just add oil when necessary to the length.

indigonight
April 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
herbs all the way and my hair is soooooooo happy since I stopped peroxide, cones and all that cr%p....

Mae
April 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM
My roots get easily weighed down by conditioner and my length is quick to tangle without it. I condition the length (at the moment, with a conditioner containing cones, which provides nice slip), shampoo the roots and scalp, then condition the length again. I try to keep both roots and length happy. :)

SpeakingEZ
May 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
I voted to keep both happy. The only thing they tend to not agree on is henna, but that's only for the color. I usually CO and oil, once a week I CWC or S/C depending on what it needs overall. But they respond to different treatments in different ways for different reasons.

Henna: chem dyed length eats up henna and shines red while roots darken
CO and oil: scalp is getting used to not producing so much sebum and looking greasy
keratin: length loves it, scalp doesn't need it.

For my routine, it isn't so much compromising one for the other, it's more like the roots and the length have different routines altogether. I just keep their treatments separate.