PDA

View Full Version : Calling all coneheads!

Kristin
April 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I give up on the no-cone thing. Now that I'm back on cones, I need to establish a new routine, so I have a few questions...

1. Do you ever oil hair as a pre-wash treatment? What type of oil do you use?

2. Do you always wash with sulfates, or do you only use them to clarify?

3. How frequently do you clarify?

4. Do you CO? If you do, do you use a coney conditioner, or a no-cone conditioner? Which types would you recommend?

5. Do you use any leave-ins? (coney leave-in or detangler, oils)

Thanks!

curlylocks85
April 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I give up on the no-cone thing. Now that I'm back on cones, I need to establish a new routine, so I have a few questions...

4. Do you CO? If you do, do you use a coney conditioner, or a no-cone conditioner? Which types would you recommend?

Thanks!

1. Yes I do. I find it helps to keep my hair as soft as it can be. After I wash it helps to seal in the moisture.

2. I always wash with them. I have never had an issue since I stopped using shampoo.

3. If I have to, maybe every few months.

4. I use Pantene. Works wonders for me

5. I leave the conditioner and deep treatment in; I do not rinse
Hope this helps. :)

Capybara
April 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Yes, always :) I use olive oil. I've used coconut oil but it only seems to work with my hair for a short while before I don't reap any benefits anymore. I wash my hair in the morning, so I'll either heavily oil my hair and braid it overnight, or do a hot oil treatment, rinse the excess, braid as usual, cover with a shower cap, and wash in the morning.

I try to stay away from sulfates :o

About once every two weeks to once a month. This may be too much, or too little, for you, however. I don't stick to a strict schedule regarding clarifying, I only clarify when I need to. I'd suggest testing it out. You'll soon discover when you need to clarify ;)

I CO when I need it - about once every two months, or if I've put my hair through some not-so-nice treatment. I use whatever conditioner I have on hand, so sometimes it may be coney and others, not so much.

Olive oil as a leave in. I used to use a coney de-tangling spray, but haven't for a while.

Welcome back to the world of cones :D Hope this helps - remember, what works for me might not necessarily work for everyone. Good luck! :flower:

Aditi
April 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hii!!! Welcome back to Coneheads Club :D.....
1. Yes i apply oil as pre-wash treatment and i use coconut oil.
2. I have not yet found any SLS free shampoo so i have no other option but i find it good enough.
3. once in a week, my hair gets dirty very fast.
4. I don't co but if i do i would use Dove Conditioners, its a coney condish.
5. I use leave-in after i wash out conditioner on semi-dry hair and the one i use is coney.
:)

MsBubbles
April 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Yep. Cones for me too and loving them!

Camellia oil, but not necessarily as a pre-wash treatment. Just a little every day.

I chop and change and grab whatever bottle strikes my fancy. If my ends feel too dry I use the Aubrey Organics. If I need a darned good clarifying I'll use a diluted sulfate shampoo.

My hair seems to need it every 6 weeks. So I go 6 weeks with scalp washes plus one full wash & condition per week, which works out to about 6 dumploads of cones on my ends, and then switch to Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner for about 2 weeks. Although the tangles can be so bad I can't detangle after a wash unless I put a small amount of coney leave in on the ends. So I'm not totally clarifying, I guess, but the overall effect is that it gets my ends back to zero.

No.

Yes. A freebie I got from Sunsilk! Need to get some more. And of course the camellia oil.

LadyLongLocks
April 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Yes, I mix coconut,jojoba,almond or olive oil to some conditioner and a little water and put it on my dry hair from the ears down.

I always wash with sulfates ( but never ammonium)

Maybe twice a year.

I CO the ends in the winter between washes and I always use a coney one. I like herbal essences, thermasilk or sunsilk.

I use garnier fructis leave in along with silk drops. Sometimes I just use a littlle jojoba oil.

TXbarbie
April 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks!
1. I've never done an oil treatment

2. Idk if I have sulfates in my poo/condish but I'm assuming that I do :)

3. I use poo every other time I shower

4. When I CO, I use Suave first then follow up with Nexxus on my ends and canopy.

5. I use a Nexxus detangler and a Mane n' Tail heat protectant - I always blow dry my hair since it'll be stick straight like I used a flat iron!

HTH :flowers:

BonnyJ
April 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, coconut and Jojoba.

Yes, I use Garnier Triple Nutrition shampoo.

Maybe monthly or so.

Yes, Garnier Triple Nutrition condish which is coney.

I use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm at the last then rinse it out. After most of the water is out of my hair I use Pantene Pro-V Leave in Cream Moisture Protection which is very coney.

I have very, very coarse hair and need the cones to have some control over it. I also only use the shampoo on my scalp and the conditioners below my shoulders.

Kristin
April 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Welcome back to the world of cones :D Hope this helps - remember, what works for me might not necessarily work for everyone. Good luck! :flower:

I know. I was just curious. I used to use cones obsessively (meaning that I would intentionally buy conditioner with the most cones and, depending on the season, apply both leave-in and serum). Never noticed build-up and received lots of compliments on my hair. Maybe I was over-coning, but it was never a problem. I also always used SLS poos without incident.

Also glad that I'm not the only one who loves Pantene.:o (And yet I'm still embarrassed for admitting it. I have been completely brainwashed.)

hendrix.co
April 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM
1. Coconut for me. I have it in my hair 90% of the time. Mostly just a tiny bit for frizz. Glob it on about twice a week.

2. I never use shampoo. I clarify with a non silicone and a bit of baking soda.

3. I clarify when my hair feels weighed down shortly after a wash.

4. I alternate between a bottle of coney and non coney. Usually clarifying in between. Most conditioners work for me. I've found the lighter they are the better they clean. If it is to heavy or creamy I water it down.

Keep us posted on your findings. :)

Thanks

andrea1982
April 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
Welcome back to the dark side ;)

Almost always. I sometimes use coconut, but olive seems to work the best. I'll use jojoba too at times.

Mostly, but I usually CO about every third wash or so.

I use a chelating/clarifying shampoo about every three months.

I do, about every other to every third wash or so. I use a cone free conditioner (suave naturals) because I don't like cones on/close to my scalp. (leaves my hair too flat and sometimes scalp gunky) I prefer cone free shampoo as well.

I use coney serum occasionally (like if I'm blowdrying) but usually I use a little detangler spray.

Rhiannon7
April 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
I'm a total conehead!

R. No, takes too long for poo to get rid of oil, if i do oil i do it at night, sleep and then wash in the morning. I use a mix of Shea Butter and Almond Oil.

R. yes, tried several natural poos but none got my hair truly clean. so use Suave Vanilla Floral or Suave Water Lilly poo or use Alberto V05 honey and almond poo.

R. since i use sulfates i guess i clarify every time i wash? I wash my hair once or twice a week with sulfate poo.

R. Yes, I normally use Suave Vanilla Floral for CO. It depends on what your hair likes. for CO most Suave, Alberto V05 and some others cheapy condish are good.

R. Yes i use a mix of Almond Oil and Shea Butter after washing hair, i also use Pantene Reconstructing Leave In Overnight treatment at night.

HTH.

Jeni
April 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM

I use to, with coconut oil but I never noticed much of a difference except my hair was kind of flat. I had a hard time getting the oil out just doing my normal CWC.

I usually use sulfates daily (CWC) but I'm currently using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo which I cant figure out if it has sulfates or not (it lists Sulfonate, coconut derived, waaaay down on the list so...?). If it is SLS free it will be the first one ever that works for me for more then a few days at a time. I occasionally use a different (SLS) shampoo but its more because Im bored not because I think I need to clarify.

I only use cones from the ears down and I never shampoo that part, SLS or not. I have never noticed any "build up" or whatever it is cones are suppose to cause.

uh, see above

nope, CO has never worked for me

nope. Oils and me don't get along unless they are mixed into an SMT or cassia. With the conditioner I use I don't have an issue detangling after I wash.

AgnesONutter
April 21st, 2010, 04:25 AM
My hair also likes cones. Much more managable with them than without, so no cones means a lot of damage for me. Anyhow...

Yes, I do. The night before I wash I put a safflower and aloe vera mixture into my hair, massaging it into my scalp and brushing it through my lengths.

Yes I wash with sulfates. Tried to go the no sulfate route for a while, but those shampoos just didn't work that well with my hard water and I just got tired of trying new brands.

Seeing as I use a sulfate shampoo when I wash (twice a week) I find I don't need to. The cones I use aren't the stubborn kind.

No.

I've started to experiment with a bit of aloe vera, since my hair needs lots of moisture, but I am weary of putting oils in my lengths since the result is often lank looking hair. Probably just haven't found the right oil, and probably am using all too much. :)

Bianca
April 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM
Yes, Garnier Triple Nutrition condish which is coney.

[/COLOR]

The Garnier triple nutrition conditioner is no-cone. Used it for months :p
I think the deep treatment contains cones though.

halo_tightens
April 21st, 2010, 07:06 AM

I went cone-free for a while, sometime last year, and I'm glad I did-- I learned a lot about my hair. I'm also glad that I decided to start using cones again, though! They help a lot on my thick, coarse-ish hair.

1. Yes, I often oil. I usually use Dabur Vatika coconut oil blend, or occasionally another oil like olive or hemp.

2. I always use sulfate shampoos. I usually do CWC (hybrid?) washes, so shampoo is never on my head unless my hair is already coated in conditioner.

3. I clarify anywhere from once a week to once a month. It just depends on what I've been doing with my hair lately. When I do, it's just a good all-over shampoo with my usual stuff.

4. The only time I ever CO is if I just washed my hair yesterday and I want to do it again today to let it dry all perfect and stuff, lol. I usually use a coneless Suave first, then a dose of coney Pantene.

5. I use both oils and coney conditioner as leave-ins. It's up to what my hair wants today. :)

LadyVictoria
April 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM

Yes, I oil my hair about every other day alternating between coconut & olive. The night before I wash I use both & braid it.

I only use an SLS shampoo when it's time to clarify

Once to twice month or as needed.

Yes. I use a no-cone condish for the cleansing (washing my scalp with coney conditioners leaves my hair greasy & limp) then I follow that with a thick, coney condish on my ends only.

Oil & occasionally some of my coney condish diluted in filtered water & applied with a spray bottle.

Thanks!

I love my cones & so does my hair. I tried to go cone-free & I gave it my best, but it just didn't work for me. My hair was dry & was breaking off everywhere. Once I reintroduced cones to my hair, everyone was happy :-)

chopandchange
April 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
I chop and change

No, I chop and change. You MsBubbles.

:D Sorry, I couldn't resist!

chopandchange
April 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM

Oils don't really seem to work for me. The only two I've had moderate success with are olive and avocado.

I CO, so I only use sulfates if I need to clarify. I use them to clarify my hair, not my scalp. I keep them well away from my scalp, as I find them extremely irritating.

Whenever needed. I don't have a schedule.

I CO with cones and use cone-free as a pre-wash treatment. What works for you will depend on your own hair. Everyone's different.

I use a coney serum.

Forever_Sophie
April 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM

Sure, coconut oil lately. Also, trying to use up John Frieda's Beach Blonde conditioning oil (think that's what it's called).

Always!

Every other week, roughly.

I have in the past, no-cone (White Rain Strawberry, Suave Lavender).

Giovanni Direct Leave In, no silicones.

Cirafly24
April 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
I tried going cone-free and immediately hated it. My hair was frizzy, grabby, and hard to detangle. I felt like I was causing damage just by combing it. It was even hard to get a hairstick through because it wouldn't slide in smoothly. A small amount of cones makes my hair so much easier to manage.

Yes, coconut oil.

No, I just use them to clarify, if at all. I use a cone-free conditioner mixed with a smaller amount of coney conditioner, so I don't think I overload on cones.

Rarely.

Once in a while, but if I do, I use a cone-free conditioner. Specifically Suave Naturals Coconut. I don't put cones above my ears.

Sometimes I put some AVG in while it's still damp, but usually on day 2 or 3 I put some jojoba or coconut oil on the ends. I also use AVG to smooth back baby hairs in updos.

Kristin
April 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Considering how often 'cones are vilified on this forum, I am quite surprised at the response this thread received.

I realize that I had been washing my hair even more frequently when I was cone-free. I think I was trying to "fix" the tangles and roughness of my length by constantly applying treatments and trying new products. I am on day 4 with dry lengths and am now able to do scalp-only washes again. I love cones. :D

Cleopatra18
April 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
1. Do you ever oil hair as a pre-wash treatment? What type of oil do you use? yes,i use coconut oil as prepoo,any other ones through out normal days

2. Do you always wash with sulfates, or do you only use them to clarify? i use them to clarify only.

3. How frequently do you clarify? maybe once in 2 weeks,whenever i feel like i need to.

4. Do you CO? If you do, do you use a coney conditioner, or a no-cone conditioner? Which types would you recommend?yes i cowash all the time with coney condish.i alternate between alter ego garlic conditioner and herbal essences break's over.

5. Do you use any leave-ins? (coney leave-in or detangler, oils)yes and they're coney.i also use oils any time.i dont feel like the cones interfere with oil absorption and i remember there was another thread on that.but again i didnt try to go cone-free so i dont know if there will be a diffrence.

Henrietta
April 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
You know, I've been using cones for EVER. Then I found the LHC, I read a lot and I decided to leave cones as ther are said to be bad. But then I read an article which says that cones are bad only when the hair looks bad after using them. And my hair looks... fantastic after cones so I will stay with them too. I don't care about the fact that they build up too much. I use SLS to remove them regularly. Cones are not bad, right? ;)
So now your questions:

Sometimes I do, using coconut oil. But generally I just wash, without oiling before. Sometimes I CWC, but as conditioner I stll use cones:)

Always with SLS or SLES.

Every 4 days which means everytime I wash. One can say "what for do you use cones if you remove them regularly" but it... works excellent for me. Cones don't have to stay on my hair long to work.

No, I use shampoo. With cones ;)
Sometimes spray conditioner as a leave-in, but it is really, really full of cones, more cones that other ingredients so I will change it. And I use coconut oil.

I'm glad I'm not the one who likes cones;)

Katrina
May 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
- Always, at least an hour before washing. I mist my hair lightly (with water, usually) and mix olive oil (EVOO) with some conditioner (most often Tigi Moisture Maniac). I put the mix into my hair from ears down.

- I wash with sulfates.

- I never use a special clarifying shampoo, but I wash with sulfates. It clarifies, yes?

- I used to CO, but realized that I like CWC better.

- Yes. Olive oil and (coney) Sebastian Potion 9 for ends and a bit for length too, (coney) Tresemme Heat Defence for detangling and blow drying though I blow dry rarely, and (very coney) Chi Silk Infusion for extra slip.

Neoma
May 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Sometimes, I am a conehead. I alternate between cone and no-cone days. This isn't by design. Some days, I feel like using a non-cone product that detangles beautifully, such as Biolage Conditioning Balm. Other days, I want to drench my hairs in cones.

Coconut, emu, jojoba (not an oil, but we'll pretend that it is)

No, I don't always wash with sulfates. Sometimes I wash with shampoo bars or even Indian herbs.
I don't clarify unless I'm on a shampoo bar kick and want to start with a clean slate: i.e., cone-free hair.

4. Do you CO? If you do, do you use a coney conditioner, or a no-cone conditioner? Which types would you recommend?CO is one of my favorite cleansing methods. I generally use VO5 or Suave as my first conditioner, then follow up with Biolage (no cones) or a coney conditioner, such as Feria or Neutragena Triple Moisture.

One of my Holy Grail products is CHI Silk. I use it as a leave-in almost daily. I also love Giovanni Frizz Be Gone, which also is a coney leave-in.

elina333
May 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM

Yep every time. I use coconut oil :cloud9:

Hmm :hmm: I dunno. I use schampo from Redken, Matrix and Kérastase... I guess they have sulfates?

Ohh every other month maybe..? If that?

Nope.

I used to but gave them all up when I found coconut oil :inlove:

Henrietta
May 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
You know, I've been using cones for EVER. Then I found the LHC, I read a lot and I decided to leave cones as ther are said to be bad. But then I read an article which says that cones are bad only when the hair looks bad after using them. And my hair looks... fantastic after cones so I will stay with them too. I don't care about the fact that they build up too much. I use SLS to remove them regularly. Cones are not bad, right? ;)
So now your questions:

Sometimes I do, using coconut oil. But generally I just wash, without oiling before. Sometimes I CWC, but as conditioner I stll use cones:)

Always with SLS or SLES.

Every 4 days which means everytime I wash. One can say "what for do you use cones if you remove them regularly" but it... works excellent for me. Cones don't have to stay on my hair long to work.

No, I use shampoo. With cones ;)
Sometimes spray conditioner as a leave-in, but it is really, really full of cones, more cones that other ingredients so I will change it. And I use coconut oil.

I'm glad I'm not the one who likes cones;)

And now it's time to say goodbye to this thread!
After 22.05.2010 I will be cone free:) I have just 3 washes with cones left to do before finishing up my coney condishioner and shampoo:) Then I will clarify and became 100% cone free.

But I wish I could use cones still. But then build up too much and to fast on my poor hair.

So... :run: