PDA

View Full Version : Quick update

kristymarie87
April 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM
So i decided to dye my hair brown so that i can attempt to grow my natural hair back. It is brown, a little warm because of the red underneath - i'll say chesnut. The ends are almost black :S I hope they will lighten a bit!

I'm on day 3 of having my hair up everyday and also not straightening! Doing well since im an addict to those things!!

So now thats it. Cold turkey, no heat, no dye...over!!

I'm having a trim 22 May so i will wear it up until that day hopefully!

Thanks everyone for advice an helping, now i just need the will to survive with plain brown hair!!

x0h_bother
April 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Great job quitting the flat iron! I did that too gradually and now I only use it for special occasions or photo ops :) I am also working on wearing my hair up- what style have you been wearing your hair in?
Yay for the trim, your ends will feel soo good after all this hard work :)

kristymarie87
April 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Well my hair is only at my shoulders and i have alot of layers so will only go in a simple pony or claw clip - which i cant find....so just in a pony right now!!

Cant wait for the trim! May seems so long away :O

sarah061
April 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Yay you! It's really hard for me to commit to wearing my hair up every day but I know it's something that I need to start doing. I'm starting to really be able to see the damage from everyday wear and tangles. Do you miss the straightener?

jera
April 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Congrats. It's not easy to adopt healthy hair habits. :)

kristymarie87
April 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
It is so hard to lay off the straighteners and i miss them alot!!

But if i wash the night before and let it dry naturally, when i wake up its relatively frizz free. If its a bit messy i just spray it and pretend thats the look im going for!

I may wear it down for a night out, depends if i can be strong enough to keep it up!! If i wear it down i will have to straighten :( So hmmmm no think its will stay up!

Its day 4 now so going well! Got until May 22 when i get a trim! Sooooo looking forward to that day :D

Maddy25
April 21st, 2010, 06:52 AM
That's great :) You'll notice a huge difference now that you're taking better care of it.

Purdy Bear
April 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM
Good Luck!

Oh browns are awesome, as is any colour. If you take a close look, very few are just brown, they have reds, golden shades, silvers, blondes and numerous other colours entwined. Some are more ginger, others auburn, some mousey and many close to black. Its all awesome and inspring. When ever I see hair, it always reminds me of bird wings, they always look just a base colour, but when they catch the light, it can reveal a vastness of rainbows that the human would find hard to replicate in paint.

kristymarie87
April 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
So i dyed my hair with the brown. Surprisingly it looks healthier! I know it isnt, so i treated it last night with Aussie 3mm.

I decided to let it dry naturally and every now and then comb it with my tangle teaser in hope it would dry straight. After about 3-4 hours it was still very wet! Not damp but wet enough to dampen my tshirt. I did dab all the excess water out. Is this good that my hair took so long to dry?

I will be dying again with a semi to get rid of the red tone that is still there. At the moment its a medium-dark chestnut brown but i think if i go over with an ash brown it will cover the red. Then it will be as close to my natural colour as possible.

Has anyone done this or have advice for me? I'm having a trim 29th of may, a while from now but will have about half an inch, if that trimmed off. Hopefully with the treatments im doing it will look somewhat decent.

I havent straightened since last saturday and dont intend to. I may blowdry on a cool setting tonight when i go out. Hair has been up since sunday too.

Joette
April 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
So i dyed my hair with the brown. Surprisingly it looks healthier! I know it isnt, so i treated it last night with Aussie 3mm.

[...]

Has anyone done this or have advice for me? I'm having a trim 29th of may, a while from now but will have about half an inch, if that trimmed off. Hopefully with the treatments im doing it will look somewhat decent.

I havent straightened since last saturday and dont intend to. I may blowdry on a cool setting tonight when i go out. Hair has been up since sunday too.

WTG! It's always excellent to see someone new commit to kinder treatment of their hair. I had mine dyed to match my roots in January and pledged not to color any more and to only trim every 3 months or so. I've had great growth since then and think my "natural" color is looking great.

One thing I've found to help tide me over since I'm not coloring or trimming much is to go to the salon every now and then for a deep conditioning. It helps me scratch the itch to get something done, but instead of dyeing and frying I'm doing something nice for my hair instead. It helps that I've found a stylist who's totally on board with my desire to go long so she gives me solid advice about if she thinks I need a trim and goes very lightly with the scissors when I do trim.

Best of luck!