PDA

View Full Version : Do we create a sensitive scalp?

Frying Pan Paul
April 20th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Years ago I used to use drug store isle shampoos and conditioners. They worked fine, but than it occurred to me that I may be washing chemicals down the drain, etc.

Now that I use the closest to all-natural that is available, when I go back to those drug store brands my scalp burns.

Do we create a sensitive scalp?

chopandchange
April 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I think it's just like foods. You may not realise you are intolerant to a certain food until you eliminate it from your diet and then try re-introducing it.

Purdy Bear
April 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I should imagine its a bit like shoes, you wear a certain type and your feet get used to them, then you change for the Summer and go back for the Winter but your feet get sore.

misspriss
April 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I agree, it's like you use something harsh so often, your skin gets tougher. Like people who work with their hands a lot have rougher skin on their hands. When you treat it gently and baby it, it is more sensitive to the harsh chemicals.

MAO
April 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I think it's just like foods. You may not realise you are intolerant to a certain food until you eliminate it from your diet and then try re-introducing it.

I second this. I have learned some things about myself by removing certain items from my life.

Idun
April 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I second this. I have learned some things about myself by removing certain items from my life.

Me too; I removed my husband :D.

(Sorry for the off-topic comment, couldnīt help myself.)

GoddesJourney
April 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
^That's funny. On topic, I think we don't necessarily create sensitivity, but we create tolerance. You've been using cheap products your whole life, so your scalp was happy with it. Those were its living conditions. You gave it nicer living conditions for awhile and it no longer likes living on the street, if you know what I mean. I'm sure you could get it used to that again if that's really what you wanted, but for now it's comfortable with what it's used to.

SunDreamer76
April 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Years ago I used to use drug store isle shampoos and conditioners. They worked fine, but than it occurred to me that I may be washing chemicals down the drain, etc.

Now that I use the closest to all-natural that is available, when I go back to those drug store brands my scalp burns.

Do we create a sensitive scalp?

I think it's the opposite. We don't create a sensitive scalp by removing harsh chemicals... we create a scalp with a tolerance to those harsh chemicals when we use those products repeatedly.

little_cherry
April 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think we do....it's the same principle as face washes- there are some out there that can clean and oven, but people use them in hopes of making their faces oil free when in fact they're just aggravating the problem.

I was getting weary of washing chemicals down the drain as well, which is why I've switched to shikakai/soapnuts to cleanse my hair and castile soap.

cmnt831
April 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I've gone back and forth. I used regular shampoo from the time I was a child. I started having scalp problems later in life. I found out about all natural products about five years ago and started using them exclusively and my scalp improved. Just a couple months ago, my scalp started reacting again - itchy, red and flaky. I've gone back to regular shampoo and my scalp is happy again. I guess I'll see what happens next. :shrug:

Maybe it's good to switch things up sometimes so as not to develop a sensitivity to one thing. :confused:

Gingevere
April 20th, 2010, 01:18 PM
There's definitely some truth to this. I grew up using regular shampoo and developed scalp issues (dryness, flaking, dandruff, product buildup) several years ago. Though I didn't switch over to all-natural all at once, I gradually began using more and more natural hair products. I've definitely seen a difference in the condition of my scalp. Less itchiness and flaking, though my scalp still seems to be drier than most people's. I've had the same experience with other health and beauty products as well. All-natural stuff is clearly more effective for me.

MAO
April 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Me too; I removed my husband :D.

(Sorry for the off-topic comment, couldnīt help myself.)

Haha! Good one......

Anlbe
April 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I think it depends on the scalp. I've never had any scalp problems despite using some fairly harsh shampoos and sometimes not washing my hair for upto ten days, but I used to have horribly flaky sensitive skin on my face before I simply stopped washing it. On the other hand my BF suffers from a hideously sensitive scalp (nothing has ever made it better, he flakes and blisters poor thing) but he can wash his face every day.