PDA

View Full Version : perimeter wisps

countryhopper
April 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I have what look to be broken hairs (but some have tapered ends, so they are new growth) all along the perimeter of my head and also where my hair naturally parts.

I usually wear my hair up in different styles during the day (braids and twists, mostly) and up to sleep (braids or sock curls or sock z waves). I also have my pillow covered in satin for sleeping. I'm trying to wear my hair up to protect it, but it seems like it might be damaging the perimeter hairs! AACCKK!

Does anyone have this, too? How do you prevent it??!! :confused:

jackiesjottings
April 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I have it too and I think it is just new growth in those areas. At least I hope so!! I have them especially at the sides.

Pallas
April 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Maybe you just have 'baby hairs' ? XD I've had them all my life - once they're long enough to blend in with the rest, I get a new load :lol:

Carolyn
April 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I thought it was something most people had. I've had them all my life. The only time I haven't been aware of them was when my hair was shorter. I like them. I think they soften the look of updo's.

Stagecoach
April 20th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I have them. During the winter they're usually ok, but in summer the humidity causes them to curl wildly!

I think it's just growth patterns. Mine never seem to grow out, they stay 2-4" long.

Pixna
April 20th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I agree with Carolyn -- I think they soften the look of updos. Take a peek at my hair-toy album. Every single shot shows my perimeter wisps. I actually like them...a lot. I think they are feminine and keep an updo from looking stark or harsh. I believe they are all new baby hairs, not damaged ones.

countryhopper
April 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm so glad to know that others have these, too! I was so worried that I was unknowingly snapping off hairs left and right!

I think the humidity has made these little wisp more fly-away and noticeable. Especially the ones at the temple; they're like little horns!

SunDreamer76
April 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM
My daughter calls mine "crazy curls" because they do get CRAZY when it's humid... not pretty but frizzy and crazy. I agree with the PP, when the baby hairs are curly or more like peach fuzz... they soften an updo and are very feminine. Since mine tend to get crazy instead of curly, I often spray a spritz of leave-in-conditioner just around my hair line and then kinda scrunch those hairs to form curls instead of frizz. It works for me and they stay curly (rather than frizzy) all day. I use generic children's detangling spray as my leave-in for this purpose.

Side note -- I think you CAN damange your hair by pulling it up all the time if you are pulling it so tight that you're breaking off hairs near the root or even pulling them out and causing re-growth.

sibiryachka
April 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
"Perimeter wisps" is a much more polite way to say "neck pubes". Thank you, I needed that! ; )

Kaijah
April 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Oh man, I have billions (it seems, anyway) of these baby new growth hairs. Some are just straight and fluffy, others form little adorable curls.. all of them are tapered and (mostly) blondish. I don't really mind, though, because I think like Carolyn and Pixna said it helps soften updos... but if they get too floofed out, it makes me look kinda wild-haired-crazy. :p

I remember I used to try and tame them, but nothing really worked... not oil, gels, or pomades, and eventually I got lazy and decided to embrace my babies.

countryhopper
April 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
"Perimeter wisps" is a much more polite way to say "neck pubes". Thank you, I needed that! ; )

Do you still call them that even when they're not limited to your neck?

I couldn't think of a better way to call them! :)

Pixna
April 21st, 2010, 06:10 AM
Do you still call them that even when they're not limited to your neck?

I couldn't think of a better way to call them! :)

No, these are two different issues. I believe what you are referring to is more of a "halo" that those of us with 2+ hair in particular are prone to.

Ravenne
April 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have lots of baby hairs around my hair line. I personally like them. If I let them dry in the direction my hair would fall if it was all down, it really adds to the look of an updo (and yes, softens it as has been said before. I have a somewhat sharp, defined bone structure that can look harsh if I don't watch it). It's like having bangs, but not the greasy mess that comes with them. :p Embrace the babies!

AgnesONutter
April 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Considering hair grows all the time, and you will have shorter hair mixed in your length, a bit of wispiness is actually something to be happy about. Just shows you are still growing hair. ;)

Though, I must say I am really annoyed by the wisps in my neck since they are more than just wisps and doesn't always curl nicely but rather stands straight out. Looks funny.

emmebean
April 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Both my daughter and I have them, mine are short and at the temple, looks frizzy mostly. Emme's wispy's are insane though, after a day she has an entire head of wild frizz, in addition to the waist length hair, kinda like holding onto one of those "electric" globes.....