PDA

View Full Version : My hair doesn't like oil anymore!

Kristin
April 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have been oiling my hair with coconut oil (pre-wash) since last September. In January, I added castor oil as well. It has been working really well and my previously dry ends are now soft.

In the last week or two, my hair just will not tolerate oil. I use the same method and apply the same amount as always. Even if I shampoo multiple times, the oil does not come out. Last night, I shampooed twice and still woke up with massive quantities of oil in my length. I have also tried CO using VO5 Kiwi Clarifying.

The weather has changed a little bit. It isn't bitterly cold anymore. Could that be the reason?

lora410
April 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have this issue as well. Try new oils. I switched back to Grapeseed oil and my hair is happy. Your is is like mine with a mind of it's own :)

Twil
April 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
My hair doesn't like oils of any kind, but your problem may be the weather. Now that the dry winter is over, you hair isn't as thirsty so it isn't absorbing as much oil. Try lighter oils and see if that works :)

x0h_bother
April 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
My hair doesn't like oils of any kind, but your problem may be the weather. Now that the dry winter is over, you hair isn't as thirsty so it isn't absorbing as much oil. Try lighter oils and see if that works :)

I would agree with Twill. Switching it up might be good for its new needs now that it is better weather. Let us know how it goes! :)

Athena's Owl
April 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM
could be that you need more emollient type ingredients in colder weather, and something else as it gets warmer. don't despair!

Kristin
April 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I have some jojoba oil. Would that be light enough for me to continue my pre-wash oilings, or do I need something else?:rolleyes:

EDIT: What am I saying? How will you all know if it is light enough? Duh. What I meant to ask is if there are other good, light oils I should try as well. Thanks

s_tresses
April 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
It's always a good idea to switch up your routine.
What is your current routine like? Pre-poo and after-poo treatments? Cone free or not?

If all your routine includes is oiling and shampooing, I am thinking the Castor oil could be the culprit. Castor oil tends to build up on hair, and it is ideally used on the scalp for hair growth. Applying it on the length gives an illusion of thickness but also builds up pretty fast.

If not, then maybe the products you are using are not working for you. The cones could be building up.

Try clarifying without oiling before or after and let your hair breathe for a while.
Your hair could also be lacking something, protein or moisture. You can strand test what your needs. I believe there is something about this in the articles section.

Some lighter oils you might want to try are: avocado, cameilla, jojoba...
Good luck!