PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Washing - how do you do it?

TXbarbie
April 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I've heard a little bit about scalp washing, and since I fry my ends with the blowfryer every time I shower, this might be a better alternative :)

How do you do it? Do you just wash the top of your head, or do you do the back of your head as well? Do you use water or shampoo? Do you put your hair in a bun, a braid, or leave it loose?

TIA! :flowers:

PrincessTieflin
April 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
This is a good question, Ill be watching this for ideas :D

Peter
April 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Amoretti wrote an article about scalp washes: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85

Hope that helps. :)

TXbarbie
April 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
That's a helpful article!

Unfortunately I live in an off-campus apartment so I don't have a removable shower head. Hmm.

sweet*things
April 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You can do it with a fixed shower head, it's just a lot more wiggling around at odd angles. :D

chopandchange
April 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM
You could use a jug. :)

Peter
April 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I've done it before as well and I don't have a removable showerhead. I had to twist my neck in some silly-looking ways but it worked. :p

MsBubbles
April 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I second chopandchange: using a jug or container of some kind works well.

I do scalp washes now most of the time. Saved me a ton on conditioner and over-washing my ends, which never really needed washing in the first place. My scalp on the other hand, needs washing every other day.

I bought a cheap little packet of 3 shower caps from WalMart. I put my hair in a loose ponytail with a big floppy ponytail holder. Then I put my ponytail in the shower cap and sort of wrap the cap around itself and put another ponytail holder around that up near my nape. Then I wrap another shower cap around the ponytail and secure it again with a ponytail holder. The ponytail holders all get drenched but my ends stay dry, for most scalp washes. I don't have a removable shower head either. Still works.

I credit scalp washing with getting my otherwise fragile ends past BSL to close to waist. A first! yay.

PS...forgot to say...if you have thick hair you might need to put your diluted shampoo of choice into a bottle with a long squirty nose on the end, so you can easily get the shampoo up under your hair. I don't have to scrub, but just gently rub. It lathers fine. But you might have to get used to that because your hair will probably be secured in a braid or ponytail. I have thin, fine hair so it rinses out again no problem.

Teazel
April 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Copying and pasting my reply in a previous thread:

I scalp-wash three different ways, but usually the first one.

1. In the sink. I have a mixer tap. I put my hair in a single snug plait (though if I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll just twist it), tuck it into my bra strap (an advantage over the men there!), then bend over the sink. Wet my head, apply shampoo or whatever, wash, and rinse. Blot dry with towel, undo plait, comb. Done!

2. In the shower. Hair in plait. Tie knot in plait to take up some of the length. Put shower cap on, with plait tucked into it. At end of shower, slip shower cap to the side, with hair bagged, and wrap around top of plait. Hold tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, blot with towel, etc. Done.

3. In the shower. Hair in bun on top of head, held with pin or stick. Shower cap on. When ready, bag and wrap bun as before, lift bun off scalp, and shampoo, wash, rinse. Etc. Done!

All these methods are dead easy and quick. I prefer not to get my length wet because it's a bit of a hassle to dry and detangle.

ETA: These days I would use a scrunchie in the third method, as a stick is likely to punch holes in the showercap. :silly:

Frying Pan Paul
April 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I actually tried to scalp wash and found it difficult to do with my hair braided. It seemed to me that I was perhaps breaking my hair since it has nowhere to go when being pulled on accidentally. That's my experience!

MsBubbles
April 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I actually tried to scalp wash and found it difficult to do with my hair braided. It seemed to me that I was perhaps breaking my hair since it has nowhere to go when being pulled on accidentally. That's my experience!

I found the same thing with my hair, which is why I use a really loose ponytail 98% of the time. It's much more forgiving!