PDA

View Full Version : Post-Pregnancy Shedding

BubbleDragon
April 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
This has gotten me seriously depressed, and juuuuust about ready to cut some hair off. My hair isn't in the greatest shape, but it looks pretty good at "true-waist" length - is that a length?

But my twins are 5.5 months old now and in the past month, I feel like I've lost half my hair. Seriously. Every time I comb or brush, at least 10 hairs pull free. At the LEAST. I don't even shampoo all that often (because seriously, when would I anyway??) Sweeping and vacuuming makes it look like I cut it all off and then sprinkled it around the house - I've had to cut it out of the vacuum brushes!

I haven't put henna in in nearly a year now (out of laziness), and I'm afraid to because every time I henna, I really really lose hair. But the "line" is pretty obvious, and it's seriously starting to bother me.

Any ideas here, folks? I'm already taking prenatal vitamins (still, we're nursing). What else can I do?

hendrix.co
April 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I know the feeling. My daughter is 10 months and now I have all these hairs that are 2-3 inches long sticking out all over the place. It only lasts for a little while. And I PROMISE you won't lose all your hair. even though some days it feels like it. The good new is now I'm really exited for all this growth to catch up. The price we pay for these beautiful babies. (I've got a picture of my new growth in my album) Hope this helps.

hendrix.co
April 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Duh didn't even answer your question. All that hair has to come out so henna away. It's only the hair those crazy hormones hung onto but it would have normally shed. Just be gentle as always.

Beansidhe
April 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I don't really have much advice, but you have my sympathy. It's a very upsetting thing to go through. About 9 months after I had my daughter I stopped nursing and my hair fell out in huge clumps. I had amazingly healthy hair when I was pregnant, so to lose it all after, especially when going through postpartum depression was absolutely devastating. I lost about half of it. This was a few years ago. It's still not as thick as it used to be, but that may have more to do with all the damage I caused by not taking care of it at all.

Have you tried a supplement with biotin? I take a "hair vitamin" with a lot of biotin in it and it seems to have had the effect of making me shed a lot less. Good luck! :)

MonikaHa
April 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Just wait it out, it will pass. My son is 9 months old, and the shedding started at 3 months, lasted about 3, and now has stopped.
My hair was the same way, from a nice thick ponytail I was left with a thin nothing. I could not deal with that so I chopped it all off.
It is growing back, feels like under my regular hair I have a pixie cut, all those little hairs are sticking up in all directions.

spidermom
April 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Oh the memories! I cut short after babies. I don't remember shedding as much as I remember what a pain it was to keep sticky baby fingers out of it. My hair can slither out of anything, so putting it up didn't help much because I always had strings of it falling down. Plus getting up in the middle of the night to deal with a sick baby guaranteed I'd end up with something unspeakable in my hair and no time to wash it out.

I know a lot of people find a way to deal with it without cutting, though, so do what is best for yourself, and take heart; this is temporary.

BubbleDragon
April 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Mine does the "slither" thing, too - I thought I was the only one! It stays "put" if it's wet when I do it, though - braids or buns every day now. I don't know how new mums with short hair do it! I certainly don't have time to "do" my hair every day like it would take me with a short style.

I'm going to try a biotin supplement and try upping my protein intake - I'm sure my diet could use some improvement. :)

Arctic_Mama
April 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Pregnancy sheds stink, but the new growth catches up fast enough! I know I'm having lots more babies, so I deal with it by planning to maintain at certain lengths for a long time, to give that growth a chance to even out with the older hairs.

TheKnight'sLady
April 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Totally understand, I started a thread about this in the Prengancy board a few days ago. It is so depressing to see so much hair shed out when showering and brushing. I am only 3 months postpartum so it looks like I have a few more months of this. I haven't decided on whether to cut it short or not. I think I will probably cut it back to waist or BSL (at Hip now) and try to maintain, but I just haven't gotten around to that yet! Anyway, sympathy for you, you are definitely not alone.

IndigoAsh
April 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Another momma of twins!!! /pouncehugs

I am totally feeling you!! I shed for about 9-10 months after each birth and it's like hand fulls of hair that come out. No worries though, I never went bald with my first son or the twins. I had my hair long with all my babies, it kept fairly well. I've had my share of baby poo and puke in my hair though. Glad I didn't cut though, a few months of baby mess or like 5 years of trying to regrow it! I found pony braids saved my life. I only recently started wearing my hair loose since like November 2007(my oldest son is 2 1/2 and Alec and Ajax turned one in January). Good luck feel free to message me if you need any help also!! I love helping. :hug:

JamieLeigh
April 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I completely feel your pain. I just lost a baby in January, so I'm having all the post-partum fun like depression and shedding and weight fluctuation and acne, but without the excitement and distraction of having a baby to play with. Lol, I am ok with it for the most part, but still..... :/

Anyway, I've started back on my prenatal vitamins, along with my hair, skin and nails formula supplements. Acidophilus in capsule form was also recommended by my dr because a healthy digestive system helps vitamins to be used more quickly and more efficiently by your body. So any of that might be worth looking into. :grouphug: Trust me, it sucks - my hair is midthigh length and a lot thinner than it was a few months ago. :(

Raponsje
April 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM
@ Jamieleigh, how heartbreaking. I hope you get all the support and love from those around you.

It will stop falling out and grow back in the most annoying manner. Especially when your hair is straight. Little hairs sticking out all over the place. But it all will pass.

TheKnight'sLady
April 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Jamieleigh- So sorry for your loss.