PDA

View Full Version : "Is that all *your* hair?!"

Angela_Rose
April 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hi, folks!
So, as some of you may know, I'm a Sweet Adeline. Our Region's annual Contest event was this weekend, and since my chorus was competing, there had to be fancy hair dos. Well, of course my hair is almost four feet long and is the longest in my chorus by about three feet, I had quite the challenge ahead of me. The hair had to be: Big, Off My Face, Fancy, and Neat.

Um.

So I actually caved and bought a can of hair spray. I got Garnier Fructis's Anti-Humidity hairspray (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_STYLING%5EFR UCTIS_STYLE%5ESTYLE_DISCOVER%5ESTYLE_SLEEK_SHINE%5 ESTYLE_SLEEK_SHINE_RTN1&prdcode=P60035), mostly because I like their products but more because this stuff doesn't have any 'cones or alcohols. Score! Of course it's still laden with chemicals and what-have-you, but I only use this stuff twice a year. Anyway! Two dozen bobby pins, three elastics, and gallons of hairspray later, I'd divided the hair into three sections, vertically. The bottom got twisted into a bun. The middle got some volume on top and then braided. That braid got pinned around the base of the first bun. The top section got combed into side-swept bangs sort of thing. That covered some of my right ear, and then once it got behind that ear, I braided that and wound that around the other braid. So now I've got this HUGE braided... thing practically stapled to the back of my head and honestly, it looked *awesome.*

Following our performance, I was walking with our Director from the Symphony Hall to the Marriot to change during intermission. Another Sweet Adeline from another chorus was walking behind us and I got a tap on the shoulder and asked "Is that all *your* hair? What a beautiful style!" Our Director started talking to the lady for me, and to illustrate the actual length of my hair, she poked me in the thigh. Good thing I'm not still at tailbone length!
It was just really nice to have had a good, solid performance, and then to get a Random Hair Compliment from a total stranger all in the same day.
(I'll post photos when I get them ready to go!)

saskia_madding
April 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I know it has only been two minutes since you posted this, but I am still eagerly awaiting photos. It sounds gorgeous! :D

Heavenly Locks
April 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/lpski1/Misc%20Gifs/worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

That is seriously AWESOME! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear...

aef231
April 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Wow, awesome! It's so nice when random people give compliments. Glad to hear your chorus did well too, I was really involved in choir back in high school and loved it. Can't wait to see those pictures!!!

PS- how is your weight loss journey going? Are you adjusting to that new lady in the mirror? ;)

aef231
April 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/lpski1/Misc%20Gifs/worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Ahahahaha, awesome.

freckles
April 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM
like everyone else, I really want to see photos of that style! It sounds awesome! :D

Ravenne
April 19th, 2010, 07:33 AM
That does sound beautiful! Can't wait to see photos! :D

And yay for random hair compliments and yay for choir competitions. I hope you all placed well. :)

Angela_Rose
April 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Wow, awesome! It's so nice when random people give compliments. Glad to hear your chorus did well too, I was really involved in choir back in high school and loved it. Can't wait to see those pictures!!!

PS- how is your weight loss journey going? Are you adjusting to that new lady in the mirror? ;)

Thanks! It's going okay... I've hit a little stall, which I'm actually okay with. My costume top for Saturday was *enormous* on me, and this is after having taken it in by eight inches. I'd out-shrunk it again, and it probably can't be taken in any more. It looked pretty good from the stage, though.

Angela_Rose
April 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Awesome. I promise photos when I get my grubby little paws on them.

Grinning... yes! My face still hurts.

gmdiaz
April 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I can't wait to see pictures! I know it was just beautiful!!!

countryhopper
April 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Pics! Pics! Pics!!!

Tornerose
April 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Omg LHC should make this smiley into one of the standard ones :P

Anyways it musthave been really cool.

Rentlle
April 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Daaaaaaaaamn, with your lenght and thickness of hair that must have been GORGEOUS!!!
Can't wait to see the pictures! It looks so great getting complements from total strangers... :)

xoxophelia
April 19th, 2010, 09:54 AM
pics pics pics! :P

So curious....

LoveMyLongHair
April 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Ohhhh.........add me to the 'PICTURES PLEASE" group!!

spidermom
April 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Terrific; congratulations on hair well styled and doing well with the chorus.

JamieLeigh
April 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I can't WAIT to see pics! That sounds like a fantastic style, and congrats on the compliment!! :cheese:

And a huge LMAO to the smiley chain....that's awesome!

little_acorn
April 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Sounds amazing :D

jera
April 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Congrats on the compliment. I've seen your albums. Your hair is off the charts gorgeous. :p

Rivanariko
April 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Can't wait for pictures!! That sounds absolutely gorgeous!

I almost joined a local Sweet Adelines group here, it seems like so much fun! Turns out I'm moving in two months though, so I can't commit to a chorus after all. I'm glad you had a great performance though!

Stagecoach
April 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I can't wait for photo's! It sounds great!

Arctic_Mama
April 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I love barbershop - I did some singing with the Sweet Adelines a few years back and really enjoyed it.

As for your amazing hair, I can't wait to see a picture :)

Angela_Rose
April 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I emailed the lady who took the photos, asking her to send them. I can't wait to share!

And to Rivanariko and Arctic_Momma, isn't it fun? I love it so much and I'll be in for the rest of my life.

Merewen
April 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
WHOO HOO on hair compliments and on barbershop! I have a special fondness for both.

VitaR86
April 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
>_< quit teasing us, we wanna see pictures.

Angela_Rose
April 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
>_< quit teasing us, we wanna see pictures.

I feel like this is turning into a Meet Report thread!

deko
April 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I just can't wait ;) it sounds so pretty!