PDA

View Full Version : How to Wear My Hair for an Interview

kevala
April 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have an important interview for a fellowship on Wednesday, and I haven't done an interview in years! Last time I interviewed, I was looking for office jobs and wore my hair in a cinnamon bun. I like cinnamon buns, but some people told me I looked a bit conservative/old fashioned, and I'm thinking about wearing it down. But I'm also concerned that wearing it down might look unprofessional. So...I'm turning to all of the long hair experts here for ideas! How do you wear your hair for interviews or other important business situations?

Flynn
April 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Cinnabuns look sleek, professional, and I'd usually say are a good choice. To "modern it up" a bit, if you don't wear a fringe, try getting about an inch or so strip of hair all along the front hairline, parting it on the side, and brushing it sideward around and to the back, into the bun, while having the rest of your hair brushed straight back. (Does that even make any sense? Sort of like this (http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kim-kardashian-low-bun-hairstyle-09.jpg), I guess, but with that hair actually caught up into the bun, not loose.) I think this looks sleeker and tidier than having it parted the whole way back, but not as harsh or "old-fashioned" as having it sleeked stragith back...

walterSCAN
April 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Hmm... I was going to suggest a french twist, but then I looked at your length! I seem to remember that someone had a tutorial for a french twist at much longer lengths, but I can't remember who. I think french twists always look professional and classy...

Anyway, if it were me in that situation, I'd probably do a hypno-bun, because my hair looks neatest in that one, but it's intricate enough that I don't think it looks stuffy/ old-fashioned. Is your hair all long, or do you have bangs/ short-ish layers you could leave down? Those might soften a cinnabun a bit, too... You might even consider a half-up. Personally, I wouldn't want to wear mine down because it would probably be in my way/ I would be more likely to fidget with it during the interview.

just some things to think about! I guess it depends a lot on what kind of image you are wanting to project/ what kind of environment this school has. If it's a relatively professional setting, I would definitely wear it up somehow, but if it's not down or half-up might be ok.

misspriss
April 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would suggest a cinnamon bun, that is what I would do. I don't think it looks too conservative or old fashioned.

I consider trying new things for business events or interviews, but I almost always go back to a cinnamon bun.

ETA: I am going to school for accounting. It is usually better to err on the side of conservative rather than not in my profession!

teela1978
April 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would definitely wear it up rather than down. I'd stick with the cinnamon bun... for an interview, I'm usually trying to look conservative.

eternallyverdan
April 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'd do a French Twist. I think it's Cinnamonhair who made an instruction video for French Twists for extremely long hair, and they look quite professional.

melusine
April 18th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm no expert but I think for most interviews I would go for a bun rather than down because it seems neater and more controlled - a cinnamon bun sounds like it would be perfectly appropriate to me, though like walterSCAN I would probably use the hypno bun because my hair looks neater in it too and I think that would be another good choice :) However I'm not sure if the hypno bun can be secured without a hairstick/fork and I'm never sure whether those are "professional" enough for an interview, so maybe the cinnabun would be better in that case?

I personally feel that as long as the hair accessory isn't too glitzy it would be okay though :)

kevala
April 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all of these ideas! I really, really need this to go well, so I'm trying to think through everything very carefully. I was thinking about getting a trim before the interview as well, but I think it only makes sense if I wear the hair down, which I'm leaning away from now. Right now I have a few layers towards the bottom and a gradual oval shape with the shortest strands of hair at about collarbone length...it looks slightly shaggy because I haven't had a trim in about 9 months.

I love idea of a standard cinnamon bun with the 'strips' of hair separated out and secured in the bun lower down on the strand...I'd probably need a little mousse to make it work, but I bet it would look cool!

The french twist is a really interesting option, too...I looked at cinnamonhair's youtube video and was very intrigued! I had no idea that it was possible with longer hair. I'll give it a trial run tomorrow to see how it looks and holds throughout the day.

Somehow my hypnobuns have funny poky bits sticking out of them. But then, my cinnamon buns often do, too, unfortunately. I might try one and see if I can get it to look more polished.

Ivy~Rose
April 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wow, best of luck!!

I also vote for cinnamon bun/french twist. I'm also partial to half-ups, or do a half-pony with a barrette and bun all the hair from there. In my perspective, the more dimension you can give to your head, the bigger impression you'll give. HTH and very very good luck to you!!

julliams
April 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I often french braid or do a half up. I would not normally wear either of these styles but I think they work well for an interview.

countryhopper
April 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM
What are you wearing to the interview? Is there some way you could incorporate a style that complements your outfit?

You could also do a half up, topsytail it, and then do a cinnabun or another bun. That way it wouldn't be a slicked back and too formal.

I'd definately go with a style you feel comfortable with doing so you can focus on your interview and not on how well (or not well!) your hair is holding!

Purdy Bear
April 19th, 2010, 02:50 AM
You could always do a cinnamon bun with some braids at the sides and wrapped round, or sticks and other toys, so that it looks neat and tidy but also a bit hip.

Remember to wear the right colour for what you want (ie Black - power, blue - trustworthy) etc.

Good luck!