PDA

View Full Version : One year here!!

Rapunzal2Be
April 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, it's my one year anniversary of joining LHC, and I'm very happy that I joined!

Here are my photos from when I first joined:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/April19a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/April19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/april19b.jpg

16.5" long, 2.5" pony tail.

And here I am now (well, March 30th, actually):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/DSC_0176.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/DSC_0175.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/Photoon2010-04-18at2120.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/DanielleD1/Hair/Photoon2010-04-18at21203.jpg
22" long, 3" pony tail.

Obviously I still have a long way to go until I have long hair, but I'm happy to have hit APL at least :cheese: and I know now that I have the patience to grow to my goal, and even enjoy the journey along the way.

My hair has grown about six inches this year; I got about .5" cut last May, and haven't cut or trimmed since. Despite my best efforts at growth boosters, my hair doesn't seem in any rush to grow, but honestly I'm okay with that because my hair has never (well, not since childhood) looked so good! It's been a rough year for me, as well, including leaving my husband, adjusting to being a single parent, moving from Germany back to the US, having to move in with family, and well, just starting over. Considering how much I shed normally, and the fact that I always shed more under stress, I'm glad to have hair left on my head, and for what I have to be looking so fantastic (by my standards, anyway!!).

I attribute my new head of healthy hair to:

* Giving up the flat iron (good riddance, I've found that my hair can actually dry almost poker straight on its own if I comb it while wet and just a quick finish with the hair dryer)

* Air drying and use of the hair dryer for a finishing touch only sparingly

* Giving up the hair dye and bleach and going to Henndigo!!! I use BAQ henna and indigo and it has drastically changed the quality, shine and strength of my hair. It now shines like glass, is stronger than ever, and in almost an entire year without a trim I have ZERO split ends

* Supplements. I take a lot, and I notice a BIG difference in my growth between when I'm taking them and when I don't (I often get lazy for months at a time and stop taking them, but both my health and my hair growth suffer for it).
I take: Centrum Multi, folic acid, biotin, gelatin, MSM, acidophilus pearl, fish oil, Super B, and Diatomaceous Earth daily. And I take saw palmetto twice per week.

* I get growth spurts after using a mixture of sulfur and coconut oil on my scalp overnight, but I do it only about once every month or so because I tend to get a big shed the day after.

* I've reduced my overall shedding (which has always been a LOT!) by using ACV in a spritzer bottle sprayed on my scalp once a day and by brushing my scalp with either a BBB or my tangle teazer once per day, as well as using cool water to wash and rinse my hair now. I still shed more then average, but it is a lot less than before.

* I've given up on expensive shampoos/conditioners like Nioxin, Redken, etc. and now can't get enough of (lots of) V05 and Suave conditioners, Suave Clarifying shampoo, Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo, and Jason Scalp Normalizing Shampoo. I alternate between them all and wash usually twice per week, COing otherwise.

:D I want to thank everyone here for teaching me so much about hair care (who would have thought that my cousin who had waist length hair and told me her secret was cheap conditioner and lots of it, was really onto something!!!;)), and for inspiring me with your beautiful photos, videos, tutorials, and tips, and for helping me to realize that my baby fine, thin hair can - and will - be beautiful, long, and natural.

Yozhik
April 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Congratulations! Your hair certainly has made a lot of progress, and I like it's new color :)

Thanks for sharing your backstory :flower:

GoddesJourney
April 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Wow! That doesn't even look like the same head of hair! That's an amazing difference in quality and the new color looks great on you. If I may be so bold, congratulations on leaving your husband even though that meant leaving the country, becoming a single parent, moving in with your parents, and starting over. That takes some serious guts and I am in awe of your personal power. Couple that with gorgeous hair and you are completely amazing.

kelly-j
April 19th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Happy Anniversary.. Your hair looks really good.

Monsterkitti
April 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Happy anniversary! :) The new colour is lovely :)

freckles
April 19th, 2010, 03:05 AM
congratulations :) looks like you've had good growth!

FrannyG
April 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Congratulations, and great progress. :flower: Don't forget that outside of LHC standards, APL is long hair. You already do have long hair. It's just that this time next year it will be very long hair. :blossom:

Rapunzal2Be
April 19th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Wow! That doesn't even look like the same head of hair! That's an amazing difference in quality and the new color looks great on you. If I may be so bold, congratulations on leaving your husband even though that meant leaving the country, becoming a single parent, moving in with your parents, and starting over. That takes some serious guts and I am in awe of your personal power. Couple that with gorgeous hair and you are completely amazing.

Thank you - very much. It was a very hard thing to do, and I really, really appreciate your compliments. :D

Rapunzal2Be
April 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Congratulations, and great progress. :flower: Don't forget that outside of LHC standards, APL is long hair. You already do have long hair. It's just that this time next year it will be very long hair. :blossom:

Thank you!! What a great way to look at it! :cheese:

oceanwoman111
April 19th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Congratulations!! Your hair looks fabulous! :cheer: You can tell that you've been taking really good care of it. Thanks for sharing your hair care routine. I find it really helps to see what other people are doing.

My ex-husband and I were married for 3 yrs when we separated. He moved back to Turkey and I moved to NY. 3 years later, after the divorce was final, I went back to him thinking things would be different. I moved to Istanbul and lived there with him almost a year. I realized that I didn't want to be with him. I didn't even like him or respect him as a person anymore. It was really hard to leave because I loved living in Istanbul and I loved his family ,but I definitely did not love him. When I came back to the US, I realized how many things I had missed about my home town and my family. The whole experience made me really appreciate the gifts and the freedom that I have in my life.
I wish you the best on your new life. Honestly, leaving him was one of the best decisions I ever made. My life is light and free now. :meditate:

Pumpkin
April 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Congratulations!! Your hair looks great!! :)

JamieLeigh
April 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
That ponytail is definitely getting longer. And what smooth, silky and shiny hair you have! Congrats on 1 year! :flower:

halo_tightens
April 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Congrats on your anniversary, and on the increased length and health you've found in the past year here! :flower:

NuclearMosquito
April 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Your hair looks very sleek and shiny! You have some awesome 'hair habits' too, keep it up and you'll be at your goal before you know it. :flower:

Rhiannon7
April 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Congrats! that is some great growth you got. definetely doing right to not only get growth but thickness too! lovely.

little_acorn
April 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Congratulations, your hair looks lovely now and just think how much longer it will be on your next anniversary :flower:

lesbia
April 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You had an incredible growth!!

christinemariep
April 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Congrats! You've made so much progress...thanks for sharing your story :)

EtherealOde
April 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM

I second this, everyone I know thinks I have long hair. I think...I am hoping it gets long someday, lol. I guess it really is a matter of perspective. Your hair is long and it is getting longer every day. Congrats on the progress. :)

x0h_bother
April 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Happy Anniversary! What great lengths!! :-)

redneckprincess
April 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
AMAZING...growth, color and condition :)

ericthegreat
April 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Your hair has definitely grown much longer over this past year, I'd say a good 5 inches or so!
And I love what the combo of henna and indigo has done to your hair color, it looks so much healthier and shiner now!

Beansidhe
April 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Congratulations! Wonderful progress and growth! The color is beautiful too! :)

Loreley
April 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Congrats on your progress! Your hair looks great! :)

alwayssmiling
April 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thank you for sharing your experiences over the year. It gives me great encouragement as I am at the early stages of my hair journey.

I have pretty much adopted the same strategies as you - fingers crossed that mine will look as good as yours come November!

Rapunzal2Be
April 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thank you for sharing your experiences over the year. It gives me great encouragement as I am at the early stages of my hair journey.

I have pretty much adopted the same strategies as you - fingers crossed that mine will look as good as yours come November!

I'm sure it will!! And thank you!!!