PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage hair "hats"

Ainu
April 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
So, I'm a finn, and as you know finns love to take a sauna.
To protect my hair when I'm in the sauna, I make this hat out of a cabbage leaf. I take the outer leaf of a big head of cabbage and roll a rolling pin or wine bottle over it, to open up the "veins". Then I just put it on my head while saunaing.
I find this is really good for my hair, it both protects it and provides it with moisture and vitamins.
I also sometimes use a cabbage hat on top of my hair when doing a henna dye, as a hair mask and to keep it less messy.

I don't know if anybody had heard of this before, but I thought I should share :)

renarok
April 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
uhhhh, pictures?

Shorty89
April 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
That sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before. I too would love to see pictures.

Ainu
April 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now. I'll try and remember to take some next time!

I don't think it's very common - I hadn't heard about it either until an eco-cosmetologist gave me the tip about a year ago. I only knew that cabbage was used as compress for wounds back the old days in the Nordic countries.

Jeni
April 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I agree we need pictures!

It sounds pretty interesting, definitely more inventive then my plastic bags and wool hat!

Fluffy Squirrel
April 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Am I right: You make a bun (to keep the hair on top of your head) and then put the leaf above it?
Do you fix it with anything? I wonder why the leaf doesn´t fall down from the bun...? Or do you leave your hair open?

Oooh, I like this idea :o

Ainu
April 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, the thing is I have quite short hair, so I don't really need to make a bun out of it. I guess if you have really long hair, you might have to leave the hair open....
Normally I do a CO wash at the same time while in the sauna (oops, forgot to mention that), and the conditioner kind of "glues" the cabbage leaf to the hair. But if you have a big enough leaf, I usually don't have any problem with it staying on top of my head.

I promise, I will take some photos! It might take a while before the next time though, as we don't have a sauna at home.

*thecatsmeow*
April 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Wow this sounds like a really neat idea, I like that instead of a plastic shower cap you can use a cabbage leaf :o

slz
April 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM

mellie
April 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Does it make your hair smell cabbage-y? :-)

marisa
April 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
I've never heard of this~ very interesting!
I have a cabbage in the produce bin right now and am thinking I'll try this when conditioning my hair while taking a steamy shower.

lovelylaura
April 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I love the Sauna and I love Cabbage- PERFECT! Eco-cosmetology- sounds interesting!

countryhopper
April 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Does it make your hair smell cabbage-y? :-)

I was wondering this, too! at the very least the whole sauna should smell like steamed cabbage, doesn't it? What do other people say to you?

Tapioca
April 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM
When I was nursing, I'd slip cabbage leaves into my bra to help with the soreness.