PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Hair headaches.

Purdy Bear
April 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
For those with heavy hair, how do you deal with the weight?

Several times in the past Iv had reoccuring headaches which were said to have been my hair, I got it chopped, and it turned out it wasn't. How do you do with it if it is?

NB I dont have much hair at the moment, just prepping for when I do.

Kristina713
April 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
My hair is only BSL but it is very thick. If I wear an updo too high on my head or too tight, I can get a headache from the weight and the pulling sensation. But I also can't wear headbands because the pressure gives me a headache, so I might just have a sensitive head. I have to wear my hair low on my head (low braids and buns) or down.

chopandchange
April 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
If I got headaches it would be due to updos or certain styles that concentrate all the weight in one place, or hairsticks or pins hurting my scalp, or my hair being smoothed back in a direction it is unused to. None of these things are due to having long hair. They're just due to what you do with said long hair. Maybe this was your problem.

I currently plait my hair instead. It allows it just to hang down in its natural direction, and feels comfortable.

Capybara
April 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Like chopandchange said, I only get headaches when all the hair is concentrated in one place, like a high ponytail on the back of my head. I'm usually fine with hairsticks or forks, though, I find they distribute the hair better :)

Kristina713, I get that with headbands too. Sometimes I try attaching a cushion of foam to the headband, but this only works for a few hours. :rolleyes:

Dreams_in_Pink
April 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
when i was at waist length, i didn't have any headache (and my hair's quite heavy). I even got tailbone-length extensions and i had no headache, although scalp felt sore then.

There was a girl in high school that said how updos gave her headache and she had to have her hair down. we never understood her :D

jera
April 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Me too. Headaches are more the result of style than just heaviness. :)

Bunnyhare
April 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I did the same thing, chopped because of headaches, and there they still were..it turned out to be TMJ ...anyone who is having regular headaches and not just from high pony tail days or something, it is probably NOT your hair...stress and TMJ or neck problems are more likely...so there i was with no hair, monster headaches..and i got a little appliance to sleep in, within 24 hours, no headaches...after like 18 months of tests,scans, hair cuts...GAH. see your dentist and tell them you are having alot of headaches...

spidermom
April 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
When the weight of my hair bothers me, I let it down, then put it back up differently or braid it. Sometimes I do this off and on all day long, other times I find that "sweet spot" where nothing is pulling and everything is balanced just right - then I'm set for the entire day. That doesn't happen very often, though.

Bloodheart
April 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'll add in on this one - my mother had hair down to her knees and her doctor told her that her hair length was to blame for her headaches...she chopped it all off to a pixie cut, only to find it wasn't the cause...and she cried for two weeks solid afterwards.

TiaKitty
April 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I cut my waist length hair at the request of a neurologist who was sure my migraines were caused by the weight of my hair.

I went to a shoulder-ish length. Guess what... I still have migraines, 15+ years later.

Curlsgirl
April 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I too never have headaches when my hair is totally down, only when pulled back or up and I get them a LOT from that since my scalp is very sensitive. Sometimes I can't even wear my hair in a place English braid or a low ponytail because of it but most of the time those 2 styles will work, especially the braid and that's why I wear that style a lot. For me it seems to be worse when my sinuses are bad or when I am under a lot of stress I have noticed. I KNOW cutting won't help me. I have known NO one that has had relief from cutting their hair unless it was connected with putting it up in hairstyles that caused it. I am sure there is someone but I could that is that common honestly. Hair weighs very little actually. I forget who it was here that actually weighed her hair once and hers was thick and if I am not mistaken thigh or even knee length.

Arctic_Mama
April 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've had hair headaches, but it is more due to placement of toys and yanking against my scalp than the weight of the hair. Shift the placemen of the hairstyle and the anchor points and it's solved, no scissors needed.

jackiesjottings
April 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I guess there is one advantage of having fine hair.. it isn't as heavy :) But I do sometimes get neckache if I put it up, especially if I use ficcares.

Maddy25
April 19th, 2010, 07:12 AM
That is one reason I cut my shoulder length hair off not long ago :( I couldnt wear it in a pony tail ever because it pulled and hurt way too much. I didnt have it pulled tight at all, but it always gave me a headache and felt like my scalp was burning.

Esme51
April 19th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I get headaches and neck aches when I wear my hair in ponytails or buns. I do better with braids and that is what I usually do when I need to wear it up. I have had some success with exercising. When I do exercises for the neck and upper back I can wear my hair up in a ponytail for longer periods of time without pain. However, I am pretty inconsistent with this.

When I get fed up with my hair or more frustrated with my headaches I am sure I'll be more dedicated but until then...

Igor
April 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thread on this from just 2 weeks ago: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45687

SunDreamer76
April 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I get headaches and neck aches when I wear my hair in ponytails or buns. I do better with braids and that is what I usually do when I need to wear it up. I have had some success with exercising. When I do exercises for the neck and upper back I can wear my hair up in a ponytail for longer periods of time without pain. However, I am pretty inconsistent with this.

When I get fed up with my hair or more frustrated with my headaches I am sure I'll be more dedicated but until then...

I also get neck pain if I wear my hair in a low pony or braid. If I pile a bun near the TOP of my head, the weight of it doesn't bother me at all. Since my hair is coarse and a bit frizzy, I never attempt smooth styles... therefore it's never pulled tight into any style, it's usually loose and "comfy" -- although on occasion I have experienced headaches from various toys or tight styles. I guess it's an individual thing, but neck pain is the biggie for me. I find myself sitting with my head tilted backward... the weight of my braid pulling my head back.

Ahhh... the price of having long hair. I'll pay it!

Anje
April 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I get what I consider "scalp aches" from positioning my hair in a way that the follicles aren't used to, or by letting it go back to normal after this. The prime culprit for me seems to be buns on the top of my head. Either it starts to ache after a few hours, or it'll ache when I let it back down. Sometimes both.

Occasionally I'll have a bun that pulls, and ponytails often start to pull similarly. When that happens, the easiest thing to do is re-do it, or at least reposition whatever's securing the hair. On days where everything pulls, low braids are effective.