PDA

View Full Version : Article on greying hair...

GoddesJourney
April 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I found this on MSN this morning:
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100249178&gt1=31036

I'm not so sure I agree that hair cannot be grey on one part and brown on another, because mine has done this many times and so has my mom's. I had long hairs that actually mapped my stress, like rings on a tree. If I measured back in years, I could pretty much name them all after exboyfriends. I only have a couple of grey hairs now, which I'm assuming are permanent due to their solid silvery look. The other ones were just a few inches of dull grey in the middle of an otherwil normal hair. I remember when they were growing out and I thought it strange that a hair would suddenly turn grey mid-shaft like that. I had lots of them and now I don't. They've all grown out by now, so I don't have any proof, but my mom remembers because I showed them to her. You could study my hair and know what kind of winters I've weathered... :D

Anyone had this happen?

Nastasia
April 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I think what the article is saying is that a hair can't change color once it's out of the follicle. A follicle can stop producing colored hair, though, so a hair that starts growing normally can suddenly start growing white. I've totally seen those on me. It's pretty cool, I think. :D

vindo
April 19th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah hairs can start out brown and then turn grey~ish and later even go brown again. My mother has that, and I had that when my husband was deployed to Iraq, a couple of hairs totally lost their color and regained it later on. I don't have any grey hairs atm.

There is a difference between illness/ heavy stress and age related greying which the msn article did not talk about.

When your ill for example, your follicles often don't work as well, the body saves energy on hair first, its least important to the body (not to us of course:D).
That can produce a paler hair that did not get enough melanin (or a rough wiry weird hair, a super fine brittle hair..its simply a "hick up")

ilovelonghair
April 19th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I've heard of people getting grays at age 13 and some who never get them. I don't think it's an age thing but more genetics. And the hairs that are white and turn colored again, they do exist.

DarkChocolate
April 19th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I have had that happen due to stress and jerks in my life. I usually pluck them and never see them again:) Rejoice:magic: