PDA

View Full Version : Growing out coloured hair?

kristymarie87
April 18th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I have red hair, not too bright but in contrast to my roots theres obv a big difference.

I dont wanna keep dying it, i do have a semi perm red but it wont cover the roots so im going to be left with major contrasting roots!!

My job wouldnt allow this so i'm tempted to colour with a brown that is close to my natural colour and then let it grow, but that would cause more damage!

Im stuck :(

bunnii
April 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I know how you feel I'm growing out black hair after my headswelling last time I dyed, my roots are very light blonde shudder:

Here's a thread full of people doing the same thing http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24075

kristymarie87
April 18th, 2010, 09:58 AM
thank you.

So if i dye it the brown and just grow from there, can anyone recommend the best range of hairdye in the UK? I can get it done professionally or do it myself. Are the natural ones you get from health stores safer than the ones you would get inboots for example?

bunnii
April 18th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't think natural hair colourants are any safer, you can be allergic to alot of stuff (I am) I also don't know how good they are as i've never tried, I would suggest though not going for own brand colours, I used a boots one once and it HURT! and it was drying.

Revlon is nice if you can find it, I got some on ebay a couple of years back, it was gentler than most and the colour was good. I don't think they sell it in shops here though :(

Fairlight63
April 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think that if I was you I would go to a salon for the last coloring job & tell her that you want to go back to your natural color, maybe it would be less damaging that way. Then keep growing from there.

lundmir
April 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I did this the last time I got fed up with my red hair and wanted to go back to black without further damage: I mixed deposit only dark blue with magenta, and it gave me a pretty bluish black color. Some washes later it turned into reddish light brown, and I decided I wanted a 'cool' brown, so now I mixed the blue with a tiny amount of yellow. Results were lovely, but I do have to say, do a strand test. The most porous parts of my hair ended up dark green, although most of it was a beautiful light brown/dark ash blonde and while it looked good, your employer probably won't like it.

kristymarie87
April 19th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Yes, well im sort of having it done professionally i guess!

My cousin is a hairdresser and will get me the prof colour and then tell me how to mix, apply etc.

I'm going for a cool brown to get rid of some of the red and then thats it! No more dye for me!!

tokidokichi
April 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Try using a color line called Elumen by Goldwell
It is a non-oxidative, deposit only permanent hair color.

Here is a thread about it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594

EtherealOde
April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
What about using a color remover and then using henna (if you want to go with a non-damage hair color method)? You can still have red, without the damage that traditional dyes do to your hair, though it does take a bit of work to maintain. I do my roots about once a month rather than whole head, so the color doesn't get overly dark. I am more partial to the coppery red shades.