PDA

View Full Version : hooray for no more products!

kitmarlow
April 18th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I've been lurking around LHC since I decided to grow my hair from one inch to at least waist length. I started posting a few weeks ago, and this is my first thread!

well!

my journey began with one inch of hair. I am an actress and decided to cut it for a show. bad bad call. I didn't get the part and I couldn't get out of the pixie cut loop. I LIKED my hair, but it lacked the versatility I need as an actress.

now unfortunately, as great as that motivation is, acting also means the frequent use of heat tools. aside from auditions and special occasions (my birthday and christmas only) I have done away with all heat tools outside of shows and all products besides when doing shows. well, tonight I worked as a greeter at a night club and needed an adorable fifties style. they dictated what that style was, unfortunately, and I thought it was going to require products, but when I did my hair I decided just to see what would happen if I went without (and then danced the night away and sweated like crazy in a humid room which would normally make my hair a mess).

fifteen hours since doing my hair, it's still perfect because my hair is in such good condition and it's washed less often. I'll probably still aquanet for three hour dance musicals, but it's good to know my hair can survive an entire day of light dancing and greeting people. :)

jera
April 18th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Congrats on quitting products. It's really hard. People have no idea how actresses and models struggle to be au naturel when it comes to hair.
Happy growing. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 18th, 2010, 03:34 AM
ow, sad to hear you shaved it off for a role :( i know there are caps that give the impression of badness when you put it on, you might want to try those next time :D

You can also get away with wigs, it can save you from styling your own hair ;)

Good luck in quitting products!

Frying Pan Paul
April 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Being flexible in the acting industry has its benefits. Wigs are a good idea, but they don't necessarily look natural. Sometimes I will focus on an actor's hair so much that I am not focusing on the dialogue because I am sure there is a wig on her head. lol

On your re-growth hair journey you'll have fun with each stage that your hair reaches. Your hair will grow back. It is important to treat it with care and avoid styling products (unless required on occasion). Hair is versatile and women can have so much fun with it. It doesn't need to be a bummer at any length. Enjoy your new look and each new look that comes your way.

kitmarlow
April 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
ow, sad to hear you shaved it off for a role :( i know there are caps that give the impression of badness when you put it on, you might want to try those next time :D

You can also get away with wigs, it can save you from styling your own hair ;)

Good luck in quitting products!

I didn't actually have that much to lose AND it was bleach fried, so bald wasn't a bad idea.

lundmir
April 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
If you must style it, why not try the older ways like pincurling? I don't have to straighten mine since it already is as straight as it gets, but when I need a different look (specially retro ones) they are wonderful since I don't damage it.

kitmarlow
April 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM
If you must style it, why not try the older ways like pincurling? I don't have to straighten mine since it already is as straight as it gets, but when I need a different look (specially retro ones) they are wonderful since I don't damage it.

my hair's not quite long enough to have pin curls look great yet. I just look like a frizzy shirley temple! but they're definitely a go-to style when I hit shoulder length. I'm on the shoulder side of mid-neck right now (and SHAGGY) about to get one last medium length cut to look nice on my twenty-first birthday.