View Full Version : Hair softer initially from bunning?

julliams
April 17th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Can anyone explain why when I take my hair down from being in a bun it is so soft and silky initially, but when I've had it down for about an hour it seems to lose that silkiness? I'll put it up again and take it down later - same silkiness.

Is the bunning causing something like "hair wrapping" where the hair is straightened, as if ironed without heat, but then when it's out for a bit it goes back to it's normal state :confused:

Dars
April 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I experience the same effect and I think it's just softer because it hasn't had the opportunity to tangle yet.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 18th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Might be because any possible moisture in your hair is trapped inside the bun. When hair's down, all the moisture evaporates quicker :)

Sheltie_Momma
April 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
My hair is coarse and wavy and I find that bunning it compresses it and smooths it, this is why for me Wash day 1 and wash day + 1 are always hair up in a bun days. If I'm careful with how I place my ends the I end up with smooth frizz free hair for WD+2 and WD+3. Except days like today with super high humidity when it's a lost cause.

Rhiannon7
April 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
It happens to me every time i bun my hair. i've never noticed any changes since when i take the bun down, i usually brush or comb it to detangle and then braid it. I usually wear it in a bun all day and take the bun down about 30 minutes before going to bed, then detangle and braid for bed. but when i do wear my hair down/ loose (which is rare.) i do feel that it is silkier, smoother after undoing the bun.

Svenja
April 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
My hair seems a lot softer when i open a bun. It stays quite soft for a while afterwards, but then it looses this softness.

Heidi_234
April 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
I've been meaning to dig that thread up long time ago because I began to experience the same with bunning and wanted to check if somebody got any idea why. Maybe it's the weather? :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15456

RoseRedDead
April 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
I think it has to do with the porosity of your hair, and how easily it loses moisture.

Mine does feel better having been contained all day, usually. I'm guessing it's because I have fairly porous hair, and I lose it when my hair's down. Crackpot guess.

RenaBanana
April 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I've noticed that too. I'm guessing it has to do with your hair not getting tangled when it's in a bun, along with the moisture things that people have been mentioning.

bumblebums
April 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
That's probably right. Also, when the hair is in a bun, it gets both moisture and heat from your head--and the ends are often right next to the scalp so they get more sebum oils.

lacereza
April 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM

rhubarbarin
April 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM
I get that too. I think it's because more contact with the air strips all the moisture out of my dry, porous hair. My hair doesn't tangle so it's nothing to do with that.