PDA

View Full Version : Could CWC once a week lead to more-than-usual shedding?

Tonks
April 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I've been CWCing since February, and since then I've noticed that I'm shedding A LOT. My hair is literally everywhere. I find bunches of it in my bed, on my jammies, the blankets, desk, bathroom, shower, purse, everywhere you can think of.

Does getting it wet/CWCing it once a week let out all the hair at once that would have shed were it washed more often, or something? I'm at a complete loss at why I'm getting more shedding than pre-LHC. It's not that I've always shed this much and now I'm just becoming aware of it. This has never happened before, guaranteed.

jera
April 18th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Perhaps you need to clarify? Scalp buildup can cause itches and sheddies. I've been CWC for a long time but do a poo once every couple of weeks and a clarifying as needed. :)

Carolyn
April 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I've noticed with my hair I see a lot of shedding after a wash (any kind of wash method) if I go more than my usual 2 days. My usual practice is to brush my hair right before I wash it. That removes hairs that have shed but have not dropped out. We all lose hair every day. It's a natural process. So if I don't wash my hair for an extra day or two, there are more shed hairs to brush out. I also find more shed hairs in my comb after washing. I think it's just that the hair hasn't been removed in my usual every other day brushing. So I'm going to say it's the frequency of your washing and not your washing method but I can only go on personal experience and what *my* hair does.

Oskimosa
April 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Along the lines of what Carolyn said, I have experienced more "around the clock" shedding with my routine than pre-LHC. If you're like me, you were using a sulfate shampoo and a coney conditioner every day or two. All your shed hairs came out at once in the shower in a big handful. Maybe now, when you wash, there's a few but not that many. But guess what you're still going to shed at the same RATE but now they're going to come out all the time rather than in your now-absent daily wash. They'll come out when you brush, when you handle your hair, when you sleep, etc. So, in reality, it COULD be the same, only now it SEEMS like more. Just a thought.

Either that or it could be seasonal... Also, if your hair is much longer than when you started, it can just LOOK like more hair, although it's really only a few "super-long" (to you) strands.

spidermom
April 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I can't imagine anything about CWC (been doing it for 4+ years now) that would in and of itself lead to increased shedding, but I think Oskimosa and Carolyn probably have it figured out.

Tonks
April 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Along the lines of what Carolyn said, I have experienced more "around the clock" shedding with my routine than pre-LHC. If you're like me, you were using a sulfate shampoo and a coney conditioner every day or two. All your shed hairs came out at once in the shower in a big handful. Maybe now, when you wash, there's a few but not that many. But guess what you're still going to shed at the same RATE but now they're going to come out all the time rather than in your now-absent daily wash. They'll come out when you brush, when you handle your hair, when you sleep, etc. So, in reality, it COULD be the same, only now it SEEMS like more. Just a thought.

Either that or it could be seasonal... Also, if your hair is much longer than when you started, it can just LOOK like more hair, although it's really only a few "super-long" (to you) strands.
Before I found the LHC, I was using Suave products, then I switched to "natural" shampoo that I didn't know was cone-free. I don't remember any difference in my hair, but I wasn't paying attention to it back then. I just recently switched to coney conditioner, and I find that my hair feels a lot better with it, and I enjoy it more.

I do get a few strands on my hands in the shower. Doesn't bother me too much, other than me thinking "Damnit! Be more gentle, be more gentle..."

--
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I think what I'm going to do is give clarifying a try, give it a week or so to see if there's any difference (I do have some minor itching and some flakes), and if that doesn't solve it, I'm going to increase the frequency of my washes to twice a week. And if that doesn't work... I'll try something else!