PDA

View Full Version : Adding scent to a conditioner?

Katurday
April 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I've got a large supply of cheap conditioner with no-cones. It is light and works great on my hair. The only problem is the scent. It is not an offensive scent in strength, it is simply...clinical. It smells like a hospital made the conditioner.

I want to add a few drops of SOMETHING to add a bit of sweetness. Any ideas? Please note we can't get BPAL in canada, don't mention BPAL if you don't want tears in my eyes. I don't know if EO's can be safely added, and in what amounts. And home ingredients that might work as well?

Frying Pan Paul
April 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
What is BPAL?

If you don't like the scent of your conditioner it may be better to give it away (or chuck it)! Sometimes adding another scent can make it smell weird and you might still be able to smell the offending odor. On the flip side it may very well work.

ZenGwen
April 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
What is BPAL?

If you don't like the scent of your conditioner it may be better to give it away (or chuck it)! Sometimes adding another scent can make it smell weird and you might still be able to smell the offending odor. On the flip side it may very well work.

This is a good point - maybe try putting a little bit in a cup and adding a bit of scent to that to see if it takes well? Experimentation! :)

Unfortunately I've got no idea what sort of scent to add...

eternallyverdan
April 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I just searched "Essential oils for hair" and got a bunch of results. I'm not an expert, but I assume that most things that are listed as beneficial would be fine as long as you use enough conditioner to dilute them properly.

curlylocks85
April 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Have you tried Vanilla Extract? I use it when I oil my hair; it smells great.

Ursula
April 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Is the problem that you're unhappy with the scent while the conditioner is on your head, or that you are unhappy with the scent after you have rinsed and finished your bath/hair wash?

If it is the residual scent that bugs you, I find it is easier to control by using a scented leave-in, rather than fussing with the scent of a rinse out conditioner. I use Kimberlilly's defrizz spray recipe for detangling, and I add a few drops of tea tree oil to my bottle for scent. This scents my hair nicely, and lets a little EO go a long way.