PDA

View Full Version : Products advice?

frogette
April 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM
So, I'm back from almost-waist to bsl after a major chop.

I miss my length but my hair was not in a good condition so probably it's better this way. Anyway, I take it as a fresh start and an opportunity to correct what I was doing wrong.

I have already been wearing my hair up every day for a few months (but I still don't braid it every night).

Another problem is that I suspect my shampoo and conditioner are not right for me. As a shampoo, I'm using Lush New, which I like because it has a great rinsability and doesn't tangle my hair excessively. Plus, I love the smell. But it's probably too stripping, even if as someone with a very oily scalp , I find that my hair is never squeaky enough.

As a conditioner I'm using Garnier Fructis Nutri-Repair. It's quite nice but I feel hat it still leaves my hair lacking slip (I have hair that tangles just looking at it) and in a general way, my lengths feel quite dry. But I can't use a really rich conditioner because my hair is on the finer side so it gets weighted down easily, especially since I tend to produce so much sebum.

What would you suggest as a shampoo and a conditioner? I don't mind cones, in fact I probably need them; but when I use too much my hair is weighted down and looks oily faster.

Loreley
April 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Have you tried wet oiling? It can help with the dryness but I don't know how it works with fine hair. :confused:
I use Garnier Fructis triple nutrition and my hair seems to like it. But that's cone-free and you said your hair likes cones.

hydrangea
April 17th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I'm using long term relationship (both poo and condish) by herbal essences. It's very gentle and moisturizing, yet doesn't weigh down my hair. I also like sunsilk hydra tlc for the same reasons. Both are full of cones! :D My hair loves cones.

FrannyG
April 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM
As long as your hair is happy with what you're using, I don't see any problem. I would advise that from time to time you clarify and then do a moisture treatment to keep your hair moisturized and to get rid of old buildup that can make your hair feel like Velcro.

Also, I can't stress enough what a difference it made for me when I started wearing a night time hairdo. If you don't want to braid, you can always bun your hair right on the top of your head and secure it with a scrunchie. It's very comfortable as there are no lumps and bumps when you lie against the pillow, but it does protect the hair. When my hair was your length and longer, I really did notice the difference. A lot of wear and tear can go on while you're sleeping.

x0h_bother
April 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM
One idea is to use heavy conditioners only on the legnth, which I have done because my scalp and the hair right under it has enough sebum. Another thing could be to use a coney leave-in instead of relying on the conditioner for all the slip. I use a serum on my ends where it's curly, some people use oils. GL!

Capybara
April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Your hair looks lovely :)

I'd second Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo and conditioner, if you'd like to try the cones out. I find it doesn't coat my hair, yet makes it easy to detangle (:

frogette
April 18th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Have you tried wet oiling? It can help with the dryness but I don't know how it works with fine hair.

I have, and my hair seems to really like coconut oil, but I eventually stopped because I could never determine the quantity that wouldn't make my hair look oily. Use just a tiny little too much and end up a greaseball untill next shampoo. I think I'll give it another try. Or I could just deep oil before each shampoo, this way I wouldn't be stuck with oily ends for days if I overdid it

I'm considering trying SMT, and I have a kind of silly question about it: do you apply it to your whole head of hair like a CO or only from ears down like regular conditioner? I'm guessing the latter but I want to make sure.

Safira
April 18th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I use SMT only like regular conditioner. Thatīs because my scalp is sometimes so itchy and I try to avoid everything that makes it irritated.

If you donīt like to put oil to your ends, try to put it into conditioner and then to ends. That worked for me.

sibiryachka
April 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
When I do SMT I use it on the scalp, but only leave it for an hour or 2. It actually seems to slow down my oil production; it's usually at least an extra 12 hours before I need to wash.

mellie89
April 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I like Tresemme, personally. It has cones but doesn't weigh my hair down or build up. Right now, I'm using the thermal recovery one, and it's really nice and moisturizing.