PDA

View Full Version : witch hazel in hair products?

violeteyes
April 17th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I want to try the aubrey organics primrose tangle go, but I noticed the the main ingredient is witch hazel. Won't this dry out my hair? I already know that I HATE the smell of the stuff, but if the witch hazel is going to dry my strands, then there is no point in using it. Thoughts?

GoddesJourney
April 17th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Uh, yeah. Last I checked it had a similar effect to slightly oily rubbing alcohol and for that reason works great on really bad acne. No point to put THAT on your head.

Crazycatlady
April 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I've wondered this too. I have noticed that it is in my Lavender WEN cleaning condish (which I love, by the way). Witch hazel is the 17th ingredient on the list. I have fine, color treated hair and this product does not dry it out...just the opposite. Maybe it's far enough down the list that it doesn't have too much??

But I know the smell isn't for everyone, and some don't like the lavender fragrance either. I like it, though. :)

Frying Pan Paul
April 17th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I thought witch hazel was added or distilled in alcohol. I am going to have to look into that and come back when I know.

Arctic_Mama
April 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Witch hazel is a natural astringent, so yes, it can dry your hair out. It is probably being used in q conditioner in helping it dry more quickly and/or making the formula 'lighter' in feel. It's hard to say, but as long as it isn't a main ingredient (first five listed) the quantity is probably low enough to not have a negative effect on most hairtypes :)