PDA

View Full Version : Should I trim my zig-zag-y ends? (pics)

peronella
April 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Since I'm growing out an a-line bob, now that I'm inching towards APL (in front at least :P ) My ends are all funky and uneven. I'm wondering if I should use Feye's self trimming method to even it out a little? I think I've pretty much decided against going to a stylist at this point, so should I try to do it myself? I have a pic here of my ends with an elastic around the ends so you can see what I would see if i were to decide to trim, and also a pic of my hemline:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/luv4smeagol/102_3010sm2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/luv4smeagol/102_2995sm2.jpg
(some of the unevenness in the hemline pic is just from it flipping under like it likes to do, but still)

I'm debating whether I should trim or just wait it out till my hair gets a little longer and it gets even more noticeable (but also easier to trim)?
any advice or opinions from you all are very much appreciated :)

Arctic_Mama
April 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I'd say only trim it if it bothers you - it won't be noticeable to a layperson and looks fine to me.

My hair does that naturally the longer I go without a trim - hair grows at different speeds from different follicles - and I figure most other people's does as well.

If it bugs you there is no reason you couldn't trim it yourself or get it trimmed, but I'd personally wait until it is longer. I find hair shorter than APL is hard to style and deal with and length is more important to me than immediate health (I am growing out my dyed ends until they hit tailbone, at least, and trimming no shorter than waist) but not everyone's focus is on length.

This is all a very long way of saying that it looks fine, you'll have to judge for yourself if straight ends are better than length.

HintOfMint
April 17th, 2010, 12:45 AM
It doesn't look bad at all. If I really scrutinize your hair, I see the remnants of the A-line cut, but I really dig the zig zag ends especially because the hemline is, overall, even. I remember wishing I had your hair texture so I could cut ends like that. If you have damage, then trim or S&D, but if you don't, I would leave it alone and let it grow. Of course, if it really bugs you, then by all means, go for a trim. But, in my opinion, I don't think it is necessary.

julliams
April 17th, 2010, 12:47 AM
You hair colour is really pretty.

I could be very wrong here but I'm not sure if you your hair is long enough for the self trim method as my hair is BSL and I am only just starting to be able to see the ends properly. When it comes to actually cutting your hair you really want to make sure you can see what you are doing properly.

As for an opinion as to what you should do, I think it depends on how you mostly wear your hair and what sort of hemline you are after. If you want blunt ends I would say that a trim might be in order but I think you may have to get it done by someone else to really get it right.

If you are really not keen on going to a stylist, just wait about 3 - 6 months and it could be long enough to self trim.

My apologies if I have got the length thing wrong, I just haven't worked up the courage yet has I've personally had problems seeing my ends clearly because they just aren't far enough away from my eyes when I bring my hair around to the front. I guess you could cut in two seperate bunches???

peronella
April 17th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Thank you, Arctic Mama, that does add some perspective to things.

HintOfMint Thanks! I have trouble s&d'ing but I do try and I think it will get easier as it gets longer

julliams Thank you, I really like your color too. and you're mostly right about my hair being a little short for self trims, but I've been practicing putting it in that little pony tail and I've been convinced I could manage it, with a little ingenuity...but I tend to think things like that and then end up totally wrong

Thanks everyone, you've made me feel better about the whole issue, I think I'll wait to trim them :)

countryhopper
April 17th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, since I'm also growing out an A-line bob. My hair is a little longer than yours, I think, but our hemlines are identical.

I also went back and forth about whether or not to trim, but since I rarely wear my hair down, no one notices that the hemline is uneven. Plus, those litttle strands of longer hair make it just (barely) possible to do a couple new buns.

spidermom
April 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think I'd trim just a smidge - less than half of what you have indicated.

sherigayle
April 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
If it really bothers you, try just trimming off the tips of the longest hairs. Sometimes a very small change can make a big difference.

Frying Pan Paul
April 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I think you should go to a stylist to have them even out your hemline. If you make a mistake by attempting this yourself, there is no going back.

IcarusBride
April 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Your hemline is much straiter than mine! Haha
I think it would be a good idea to straiten it out now just because you'd only need to snip, like, a quarter of an inch (from what I can tell from the picture) to make it strait.
But you definitely don't NEED to trim it; when it's down I couldn't see any un-eveness at all!

*Aoife*
April 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
No, I think your hair looks lovely as it is :)

I think very blunt hemlines are less interesting. Zig-zags give hair some character!

goodenough
April 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
My hair's a few inches shorter than yours, and horrible uneven, and I'm putting a trim off till June, because I MUST be able to put it into a ponytail before I lose my mind:) One thing about even ends is that they don't stay in an updo very well. I've been hotrolling mine anytime I need to look half-way decent, and just forgetting about it the rest. I've done the self trim when my hair was long, but I like the results better from a stylist, maybe because my hair is so thick.