PDA

View Full Version : Question about color oops

xoxophelia
April 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I had asked earlier about my color demarcation from left over semipermanent hair color I have been letting fade for about half a year. There are pics in my album if you are curious..:)

But the question is, I have about 4-5" of roots. If I apply Color Oops to my hair, do I have to be careful to avoid my virgin hair? As in, will it change the color of hair that has not been dyed or only the parts that have been? :confused:

Also, will it lighten my hair to a shade even lighter than my natural hair color? (light brown/blonde highlights)

Any other tips you might have are welcome as I'm thinking I would like to do this.

KajiKodomo
April 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I believe ColorOops has some sort of bleach/peroxide powder in it. If you use the powder, it will strip your natural hair. If you don't it may lighten it a bit, I'm not sure.

When I used it, I used it full-strength. It definitely bleached my roots.

Hope that helps! :D

KajiKodomo
April 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I just looked at your album, and your hair actually isn't bad at all. I grew my hair out from black dye (my natural color is lighter than it looks in my profile pic/siggy), and it looked bad, but the dye faded eventually and it actually only looked noticeable in pictures, not in real life.

Keep in mind that if you use Color Oops, that you will have to apply dye onto the ends again. Color Oops will oxidize and get darker unless you put a dye back on top of it.

xoxophelia
April 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Will it become black or something? It isn't all that bad.. but by my roots there is a dark band that looks somewhat lifeless because the color did something weird. Also, as the color is fading it is turning sorta red :S

I'm thinking it might be a little difficult though to blend the roots with the newly colored hair. I really just want to make a subtle change so that the band is gone and to mute the black on the bottom which hasn't faded one bit in about year..

KajiKodomo
April 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
It will turn the dyed portions orange to yellow. It could end up a more reddish coppery color depending on how many times you've dyed your hair. If it's black, it will oxidize to almost black again if you do not put another dye on top of the stripped hair. I once used color remover on heavily black dyed hair (each time I dyed it, I did a full head application). It streaked it out reddish copper, and once I dyed over it with a medium brown, it turned out a dark dark brown with medium brown streaks.

I would say that depending on how many times you've dyed to go with a shade or half-shade lighter than you want your hair to turn out in the end to put on top of the stripped color. :)

KajiKodomo
April 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Alternately, you could skip the Color Oops and find a shade close to your natural color and put it on top of the dyed portion. Make sure to look for an ashy color to counteract the reddish tones that you're worried about. :)

xoxophelia
April 16th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Honestly though, do you think it would be better or safer to get it done? We know somebody who does it for relatively cheap but part of me doesn't want to put my hair in anybody else's hands...

kwaniesiam
April 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I had asked earlier about my color demarcation from left over semipermanent hair color I have been letting fade for about half a year. There are pics in my album if you are curious..:)

But the question is, I have about 4-5" of roots. If I apply Color Oops to my hair, do I have to be careful to avoid my virgin hair? As in, will it change the color of hair that has not been dyed or only the parts that have been? :confused:

Also, will it lighten my hair to a shade even lighter than my natural hair color? (light brown/blonde highlights)

Any other tips you might have are welcome as I'm thinking I would like to do this.

Color removers will not affect virgin hair. However, most are designed to work with permanent chemical color and it may not have any effect if you used a semi permanent. I personally prefer One n' Only Colorfix over Color Oops. I'd also recommend going to a professional if you are worried about keeping your virgin hair chemical free, they'll be able to get your color much more even and not have to touch your roots at all in the process.

xoxophelia
April 17th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Color removers will not affect virgin hair. However, most are designed to work with permanent chemical color and it may not have any effect if you used a semi permanent. I personally prefer One n' Only Colorfix over Color Oops. I'd also recommend going to a professional if you are worried about keeping your virgin hair chemical free, they'll be able to get your color much more even and not have to touch your roots at all in the process.

Thanks. I was worried they would say I had to color my roots which I have been working so hard to grow out :S

I'm just nervous about the whole thing..

sherigayle
April 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Have you tried honey lightening yet? It worked really well for me to lessen that line from color to natural. And it's easy on your hair.

midwinterwind
April 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I second ColorFix if you are not wanting your roots to be bleached. Or even Color Zap... Color Oops left my hair a mess when I used it like 6 years ago. I've not touched the stuff since.

I am a HUGE HUGE fan of Color Zap. It comes with optional peroxide for extra color remol, but the directions allow for just mixing the removal powder with warm water- if you do that it won't bleach your roots. :)

If you use ColorFix, Do be careful to not use a Peroxide-based dye or lightener right after you use ColorFix-!!!!!- it will darken your hair. Wait after a couple of shampoos. I learned that the hard way.

All Permanent dyes involve peroxide. Even the box black dyes you see in CVS or Walgreens... its just like a 10 or 20 vol. Peroxide increases the porosity of hair and that allows your hair to soak up the dye molecules.

oh.. and all of the above dye removers, with the exception of Color Oops. I know work on semi permanent and veggie dyes.

Hope this helps!

xoxophelia
April 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks! That really is helpful. I didn't know there was any difference between the color removers. My mom thinks I should get it done.. but I just don't understand how they would be able to remove the color and then dye and have it be safe, when I would not be able to do that as well :S

midwinterwind
April 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM
what color do you have now and what are you trying to get to? perhaps I can offer more advice. I do ..a..lot... of hair dying/lifting/color removing for my friends and I've been experimenting on myself for years.

xoxophelia
April 18th, 2010, 03:23 AM
what color do you have now and what are you trying to get to? perhaps I can offer more advice. I do ..a..lot... of hair dying/lifting/color removing for my friends and I've been experimenting on myself for years.

Thats cool. I would love to learns to color people hair as I cut hair (just for friends) but I need to stop doing my own XD

I have photos in my album but they are not very clear. Basically, I used Natural Instincts dark brown semi permanent which was not semipermanent.. and also their soft black semi. And then in adition at one point I did a permanent black which faded rapidly :confused: and on the underside when I had closer to my natural color, a permanent black which has not faded.

I have about 4-5" of roots which currently look light brown with some highlights starting to show through, but I know in the summer will get blonder.

Most of the length has faded to a degree but has stopped but turned slightly reddish. My natural color is very cool until the sun does it thing.

I think I want to lighten it to match the shade of my roots and then make it cooler to match the color. And either then or later pull some very subtle highlights through to blend with my natural hair (I have a highlight by my face really popping through in my roots now).

That is sorta a lot of details ^_^'

midwinterwind
April 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE]And then in adition at one point I did a permanent black which faded rapidly /QUOTE]

That could be due to two reasons which are kind of opposite of each other. Either your hair was damaged to the point that the hair could not absorb the color... or it wasn't porous enough to take the black because of the previous semi-perm dyes.

Semi perm dyes usually fade faster because some of their molecules are too big to be absorbed into the hair shaft completely, But they will ...Always... leave a stain. so having those larger molecules under the black permanent would have prevented absorption. There are a billion other factors too like whether you had product on your hair or not, or used conditioner before you colored, etc.

[QUOTE]Most of the length has faded to a degree but has stopped but turned slightly reddish./QUOTE]
So you have a reddish color on top and a black on the under layer... correct?

The reason why it turned red was because of the peroxide in the permanent black dye that fell out.

What you need to do is get a couple boxes of whichever color remover you decided on.
And it sounds like you're going to need someone to do this for you.. it can get complicated.

Start with the darker black layer. Apply the remover always from ends first, then the parts closer to your roots.

Give this like a 10 minutes, or until it turns about the color of the rest of your hair.

Rinse.

You should have pretty even color all over, if its 1-2 shades off, thats fine... when you go to color your hair your natural color, it will cover it. I cannot stress strand testing enough... this will give you a good idea of how long it will take to even out your color.

If you need your dyed portions lighter to match your natural, then apply remover all over again.

If not, you should be able to apply a permanent dye with no problem.

Remember it is always easier to go from light to dark, and a pain to go from dark to light.
And strand test. always strand test.

If your natural color is more neutral (not too golden, not too ash) then you should use a base green light brown... also known as medium ash brown in box dyes. Green cancels Red, and will give you a nice natural brown, with probably a hint of golden undertones.

:)

midwinterwind
April 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
eh... forgive my lack of knowing how to properly quote text apparently.

Nicoliee
January 16th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I used color oops on a temp dye and it got maybe 40-50% out. But I used it about 3 weeks after it was dyed. There were parts of my hair that didn't get dyed and the color oops didn't do anything to affect the color.

Nicoliee
January 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Thats cool. I would love to learns to color people hair as I cut hair (just for friends) but I need to stop doing my own XD

I have photos in my album but they are not very clear. Basically, I used Natural Instincts dark brown semi permanent which was not semipermanent.. and also their soft black semi. And then in adition at one point I did a permanent black which faded rapidly :confused: and on the underside when I had closer to my natural color, a permanent black which has not faded.

I have about 4-5" of roots which currently look light brown with some highlights starting to show through, but I know in the summer will get blonder.

Most of the length has faded to a degree but has stopped but turned slightly reddish. My natural color is very cool until the sun does it thing.

I think I want to lighten it to match the shade of my roots and then make it cooler to match the color. And either then or later pull some very subtle highlights through to blend with my natural hair (I have a highlight by my face really popping through in my roots now).

That is sorta a lot of details ^_^'

Yeah I used Natural Instincts Midnight Black. I was going crazy when I realized it wasn't going to come out when the box said.