PDA

View Full Version : I zipped my hair

chopandchange
April 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
The end of one of my plaits got stuck in my zip today. When I managed to unzip it, there were loads of bends and damaged parts.

Will they turn into splits? Should I snip it all off? If I do, I will have a whole section of hair that is shorter than the rest.

:(

I am washing my hair tonight, so I will see if the bendy parts go away after a wash. Hopefully they will.

It was my favourite jacket, that I wear to go dogwalking. It has velcro on the outside, and I hate it when my plaits get stuck on the velcro, so I always tuck my plaits inside, at the front, before zipping it up. Today I mustn't have been careful enough to make sure the plaits were flattened against my body, and they got caught in the zip.

BelleBot
April 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Owwie. Stick a chunk of conditioner on the bits that got caught and let it soak in for a while, just to see if you can smooth out the kinks. Hopefully you'll be able to baby it back to health, though you may need to have a go at S&D ing after it's settled to get rid of any nasty bits.

I hope it doesn't turn out too bad, that's always my worst fear with zips.

Carolyn
April 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Welcome to Longhair Land :D It's happened to a lot of us at one time or another. I would snip off any obviously shredded ends now and then soak the rest in oil. Some hairs may just be bent and not damaged so wait to do more snipping until after you wash it.

jera
April 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Ooo that's nasty. I've gotten a few loose hairs snagged before but never a whole braid. Hope it's undamaged. Your hair is so beautiful.:)

spidermom
April 16th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I've done that, but the ends actually came through the experience pretty good. Some of the ends broke off, and I don't remember having any particular trouble with the hairs that didn't break off.

Frying Pan Paul
April 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
No, I wouldn't cut a chunk off of my hair in your situation. I would cut off any visible damage, though. I get my hair caught in my coat zipper, too, and in the seat belt of my car when I unhook the belt. My hair seems to go with the seat belt and the odd time my hair gets caught in the car window or door. But they're usually a few strands.