PDA

View Full Version : Braiding with ribbons? AND making a straight part down the back of your head?

SunDreamer76
April 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ok -- so the title of my thread is basically my whole point. I have two questions:

1) How does one include ribbon in a french braid? I saw a pic of Spidermom with ribbon in and really like that look, but have no idea how to do it.

2) When creating double braids or pigtails, does anyone have any tips on making a straight part down the back of my head? My part on top is easy, but down the back... UGH.

little_cherry
April 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi...I'm going to keep checking this thread because I also want to know how to braid with ribbon!

As for parting, I just get my comb and slowly draw a line down the center of the back of my head using my fingers as a guide. I comb one section to the side and secure it with a hair band to get it out of the way. This helps me to braid the loose side...I then braid the other side.

Hope that helps

spidermom
April 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I never bother with a straight part. I just stick my finger through my hair at the middle of my neck and pull half to each side. Half is a relative term here. Sometimes it's even, sometimes not so much.

The easiest way to braid a ribbon in, for me, is to start out with one strand, lay the ribbon across it or underneath it, then start the braid as though each end of the ribbon is the right and left strands. So if I were doing a french braid, it would be left side of ribbon over center, right side of ribbon over center, left strand of hair over center. Then I would start picking up hair to add to the ribbon.

It takes some practice as using a ribbon feels kind of weird. Every once in awhile I hold the strands in one hand and use the other hand to pull the ribbon back up to the surface as it gets buried with hair. Or just be careful that you're always putting the hair that you pick up on the underside of the ribbon. You want it to show. Or not. If I'm in a hurry, I just braid, and the ribbon disappears and then reappears in my braid as I go.

Oh, and if you're just doing a simple 3-strand braid, you put the ribbon under the middle strand and add each side of the ribbon to the right and the left strands of hair.

Gumball
April 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I've seen images of braids such as dutch braids where every crossed strand has ribbon over it, so likely there are at least three pieces of ribbon being twined in. I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid, and then how to maintain it being on top. I'll be observing as well!

SunDreamer76
April 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I've seen images of braids such as dutch braids where every crossed strand has ribbon over it, so likely there are at least three pieces of ribbon being twined in. I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid, and then how to maintain it being on top. I'll be observing as well!

I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid -- that's exactly what confuses me too! I don't really care if they ribbon shows up on top all the time, I kinda like the not-so-perfect look, but I still don't get how you start the braid with the ribbon.

SunDreamer76
April 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I never bother with a straight part. I just stick my finger through my hair at the middle of my neck and pull half to each side. Half is a relative term here. Sometimes it's even, sometimes not so much.

The easiest way to braid a ribbon in, for me, is to start out with one strand, lay the ribbon across it or underneath it, then start the braid as though each end of the ribbon is the right and left strands. So if I were doing a french braid, it would be left side of ribbon over center, right side of ribbon over center, left strand of hair over center. Then I would start picking up hair to add to the ribbon.

It takes some practice as using a ribbon feels kind of weird. Every once in awhile I hold the strands in one hand and use the other hand to pull the ribbon back up to the surface as it gets buried with hair. Or just be careful that you're always putting the hair that you pick up on the underside of the ribbon. You want it to show. Or not. If I'm in a hurry, I just braid, and the ribbon disappears and then reappears in my braid as I go.

Oh, and if you're just doing a simple 3-strand braid, you put the ribbon under the middle strand and add each side of the ribbon to the right and the left strands of hair.

Don't you have to tie or attach the ribbon somehow when you start the braid?

P.S. - Thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying reading your posts.

spidermom
April 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Don't you have to tie or attach the ribbon somehow when you start the braid?

P.S. - Thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying reading your posts.

No, I don't. Once I've got the braid started, that ribbon isn't going anywhere.

GoddesJourney
April 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know much about ribbons, but I do know how to make a straight part down the back of my head if I can at least help you with half your problem. Since you know how to make a part on the top of your head, this should be excedingly easy for you.

First, find the centerline on your nape. Lean your head forward a little and follow your fingers up your cervical spine toward your skull. Once you get to your skull, lean your head back a little. Your fingers should be in what feels like a little groove. That's the centerline of the nape. Now that you've touched it, you should remember what that spot feels like.

Now, comb all of your hair straight back and down behind your head (the same path your measuring tape will take for your LHC length measurements).

Take a comb, pick, rat tail, or fingernail and run it along your scalp from your forehead to the point that sticks out most on the top back of your head. Now continue down to that little groove you found earlier. In the same motion, pull all the hair on the side of the arm that you used toward that side. Pull the rest of the hair to the other side.

Check with mirrors to see if it's how you want it but it should be perfectly straight and right in the middle.

Heidi_234
April 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ribbons? Really easy!
When you start a braid you have 3 sections. Fold your ribbon in two and place it in a such way that the middle where it folded is right at the start of the braid and both parts of the ribbon run along 2 of the hair sections (I usually choose the left and right one, but placing the ribbon along the middle one works too). Then braid as usual.

ETA: I think there's a tutorial with pictures in the Articles section, if you still confused or prefer visual guidance like moi. :)

girloctopus
April 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I find a metal-ended rat tail comb is the best way to make a straight part. I try to line up the part with the center of my nose, and use the tail end to draw a line all the way back. The end works really well to make a sharply defined part, but practice makes perfect!

I haven't really used a lot of ribbons in the past, but I definitely want to start working with them more. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :)

physicschick
April 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I find a metal-ended rat tail comb is the best way to make a straight part.

A pointy hairstick (I use a VK Design stick) is also helpful for this purpose. :)

tokidokichi
April 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
For parting the back of your hair, feel where your spine ends with your index finger, and run your finger straight up your neck to your hairline and leave your finger there. Take the end of a comb, or a fingernail and start where your part on top ended. Draw a line straight down, you will almost automatically comb straight down to where your finger is, this helps your part from going crooked. This tip really helped me when I started doing hair!

Ash
April 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I always keep a center part on top but how I do the back is to take both hands and starting at the top of my head I "walk" my index and middle fingers down the middle of my head. What my fingers are doing is pulling hair to either side as my hands travel downwards. It may help to touch your palms to the sides of your head while your hands are moving. I go down all the way to my neck like this and then pull the separated hair to the sides. I have found this way works better for me than using a comb - when I did that the part would always be off center and I would have tangles.

TheStorm
April 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I can't french braid but I always use a ribbon when I do a normal 3 strand even when I don't use a band at the top. The ribbon I use is double the length of the braid so its folded over at the top of the braid, I use a clip to hold the ribbon while I start the braid. Once the braid is done the ribbon is being held in place by the braid and the clip can be removed. Hope that helps.

Renbirde
April 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
:D I have a bit of used brazing rod that works well for parting. One end is melted at ~45* angle-- it's sharp enough to part well without poking me, and it's a pretty, shiny gold color! :o

As for the braiding-- My hair is long enough that starting the ribbon at the very beginning of the braid is a pain. The ribbon gets tangled in everything! So:

Take a length of ribbon and find the middle. Do your braid, but pause a few crosses above the final length (where you want to tie it). The farther up you start the ribbon, the less it will slip. Lay the ribbon across 'behind' the braid, so it lays with the hair in your outside strands. Braid the rest, ignoring the ribbon (working it with those two outside strands, like it's just more hair). Stop when your braid is as long as you want and the ribbon strands have come to the outside again. Dig the ribbon ends out of your hair and wrap them in either direction around the braid. You can use a few overhand knots to make it more secure. Tie the ends in a bow. Ta Da! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3262&pictureid=49895
:/ Speedbraid looks like a speedbraid....

I think you would have to start the ribbon at the very top of a rope braid... but it works well in the 3 and 4 strand braids I've tried. It holds like a rock if you use leather lacing (the thin pliable stuff, not shoelace weight) instead of ribbon, especially if you wet it first. It shrinks a bit when it dries again-- old-school elastic. Grosgrain ribbon holds better than satin (it's much less slippery!), but is might be slightly more damaging; I can't imagine that either type of tie is very harmful, however.

Merlin
April 17th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I've always harboured a suspicion that the girls you see with a completely straight parting down the back of their heads have had it done by somebody else - my suspicion is that once you get too old for mum to do your bunches then your parting goes wiggly! I base this purely on observation of course, but it does seem like "the younger the straighter"

SunDreamer76
April 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Many thanks to everyone responding. Particularly to Spidermom, TheStorm, and Renbirde -- you guys provided great details (stuff I didn't even know that I needed to know! :)). First I need to buy some ribbon (or something of the sort) and then I'm gonna give this a try! I'll post pics (if it's successful).