PDA

View Full Version : Securing hair in an updo

Squeak toy
April 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I have found so much useful information on these pages but I have not found an answer to this: what can you use and how do you use things to hold your hair in an updo? I have fine hair to my waist and have learned some great updos but the bobby pins are just not holding all the weight anymore and I have to use so many of them just to get it somewhat secure. I now have resorted to tiny claw clips but they are so visible. I also do not know how to hide the ends of my hair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Loreley
April 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
You can use hairsticks or forks. And there are big hairpins which are also good. :)

heidihug
April 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Good Hair Days pins (http://www.goodhairdays.com/plastic-bulk-hairpins-chignon-pins.htm) for the win. You can get them at Sally's. They are a fine-haired person's updo best friend.

Ravenne
April 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hair sticks are my personal favorite. They come in lots of styles and pretty colors. :D

And I second the Good Hair Days pins linked above. They truly are amazing little things.

Pixna
April 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I have found that it's the technique, even more than the hair toy, that holds hair securely. Look at some of the bun threads I've started here to find links to directions for various buns. Also, hair forks tend to hold very well, especially those that have a minimum of 3 prongs (though, personally, I'm more of a hair-stick gal).

BattahZ
April 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I agree re: hair forks (and sticks, though I find forks to be more secure) and technique being the key. Watching lots of Youtube tutorials on different types of buns has helped me figure out how to use my hairtoys to hold updos more securely.

deviantkitten
April 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
hair forks
hair sticks
Amish pins- they make them crimped now for fine haired ppl like myself. I love them!
Good hair days hairpins- another personal fave when I can't use a fork or stick

Capybara
April 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
If you're looking to hide the ends of your hair, you may want to look into some new styles :) Have you ever tried a sock bun, or something similar?

I second the hair sticks/forks. So easy to use, yet so secure!!

You can also use headbands/scarves to help hide the ends. I really like this style: Renaissance Bun (http://stylespotter.luckymag.com/galleries/out_and_about/498/hair/6317)

HTH! :blossom:

Melisande
April 16th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'd like to add a good word for hair scroos. They are amazing and hold very very well. For me, better than Amish pins or other hair pins. For invisible hold, scroos cannot be beaten IMO.

For visible hold, take a good look at flexi 8s and ficcares ;-) Beautiful, well made, solid hold and many updo options.

Gumball
April 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I agree that technique can play a big part. That's why two heads of identical hair can have such vastly different reactions to using hair sticks, for example.

I have yet to practice with good days pins again after my failed attempt years ago (go figure I was putting them in incorrectly then). I do use sticks, bobby pins, or a flexi-8. My hair is just past hip, too, and it's up every single day. :)

Purdy Bear
April 16th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Torrin Paige in her You Tube videos, uses double ended knitting needles that have been bent in half as hair pins.

Arctic_Mama
April 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I use good hair day pins to secure my ends in a bun, but I have to throw them out regularly as they end up splayed apart and funky... I think I put them in wrong or use too much hair.

For me, Amish pins and hairsticks are my main hairtoy these days. I am LOVING my sticks now that my hair is long enough, though my bank account is less than thrilled :lol:

AgnesONutter
April 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I like my quattro anchor pins, they hold my hair very well throughout the day. In a cinnabun, three of them is all I need, if I'm doing something a bit more elaborate, where I want the support not to be visible, I use them underneath and then ordinary bobby pins. As for the ends, try to tuck the last bit into the coil, not pulling it through, so the ends end up underneath the bun.

Blandine
April 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have recently (and finally) learned how to use scroos and I love them.

StephanieB
April 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Amish pins (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27).

I use both the straight pins (gotten them at both the above-hotlinked PrayerCoverings.com and at PlainlyDressed.com, and the crinkled pins at PrayerCoverings.

They really work - and I have very soft, slippery, baby-fine hair.

I bought Hair Scroos online (eBay), but the seller never contacted me and it's been a while since I paid. In fact, if I don't get them soon (by early morning of the 18th or 19th day after payment was made with my credit card), I will open a complaint with PayPal. I've only ever had to escalate to PP about 3 times in a very long and fruitful eBay usage (since 1998 )... although two of thee three times I've had to escalate further up to the FBI IC3.

If I ever get the Scroos, I'll post how they work in my hair after trying them. (I'm no longer holding m breath to receive them, though. I've been ebaying too long and know that it's not very likely that this seller is going to suddenly start communicating with me after all ths time. :rolleyes:)

Pierre
April 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Flexis hold for DAYS. I sleep with them on. And for invisible hold, I second the hair scroos.

TXbarbie
April 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
A lot of people use hair sticks. I'm a broke college student so I just use my sparkly mechanical pencils :)

GoddesJourney
April 16th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Torrin Paige in her You Tube videos, uses double ended knitting needles that have been bent in half as hair pins.

I'm a fan of her tutorials, definately. I followed the advice and made some hair pins a few months ago and they are amazing. It was a couple of dollars for four of them and I just bent them around a stray highlighter with my hands (I bought thin ones). The good days hair pins are pretty good too, now that my layers are gone. Make sure you file or sand the edges though, because they're molded plastic. Also, squeeze the ends together as you're putting them in to make them hold better and not wear out as fast (they eventually bend).

countryhopper
April 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I agree, hair scroos are AWESOME!! Super strong hold, and comfortable too!