PDA

View Full Version : sticky hair?

mintyhot
April 16th, 2010, 06:27 AM
last night i washed my hair with diluted castile soap and i rinsed with vinegar usually this is okay but this morning my my is kinda sticky and hard to run my fingers through.the roots of may hair look like they have a coating, i was thinking it might be the tea tree oil i put in after because my scalp smells and i was thinking the oil could help. could it possibly be the tea tree oil that is causing the sticky waxy feeling? :confused: :(

aisling
April 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM
No, I think it's the soap, they can leave a waxy feeling.

Carolyn
April 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Soap based products always leave my hair feeling that way. That's why I don't use them anymore.

mintyhot
April 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
do you think if i changed to soft water it would be different?

spidermom
April 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I don't know; some people seem to get along all right with soap products; I don't know if they have soft water or more tolerance for the feeling of it. I can't stand the feel of soap anytime/anywhere/for any use, and we have soft water, ICK!

MAO
April 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Is your hair damaged? I've been using Bronner's to wash and a white vinegar rinse after. My virgin hair feels awesome, the bottom half (stripped and bleached last year) feels stiff and crunchy to me.

mintyhot
April 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM
i don't think so, i don't use any heat... ever. do you have soft water. I know this is a stupid question... but how do you know if it is damaged?

MAO
April 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
No I think I have hard water.....

little_cherry
April 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
What sort of vinegar and how much vinegar did you use?

StephanieB
April 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Vinegar doesn't leave a sticky coating on anything.

But soap often does... and softer soaps like castile leave more of a residue than hard soaps.

It could be that the kind of soap mintyhot used was okay for her undamaged roots, but leaves too much of a residue in her damaged ends, since heat-damaged and chemical-damaged hair is much more porous than healthy hair.

Mintyhot, I think it's the soap.

Unless..... you didn't put oil into all your hair, from roots to ends, did you?

If you did, then you may have just used too much oil and, like I said, your ends may be damaged and that makes them much more porous, so they soaked up much too much oil - which also can leave a sticky residue if you use too much.

Fractalsofhair
April 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Do you normally use soap? That's the question. It doesn't leave a waxy feeling on my hair, regardless of water, but Chagrin Valley can leave a buildup. Did you rinse the ACV rinse out? Did you throughly wash out the soap?

mintyhot
April 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
well, my whole hair was kinda sticky, so maybe it was the soap... the next time i wash my hair i will only use the soap and see if it is leaving a residue. now that i feel my hair twenty four hours since i washed it, it isn't sticky or waxy at all. Do you think it could just be dry?

Schefflera
April 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I can't help you, but I'm going to say this anyway even though it's probably not applicable...

I have had sticky hair twice, and they were both in the University of Wisconsin-Madison dorm, where I was staying for a conference. The first time, I thought it was my shampoo, because I'd used something different. So the next time I made sure to take a shampoo I was familiar with -- same thing. Until I used the shampoo they provided, which made everything okay again!

I still don't know what was in that stuff... either the water or the shampoo.