PDA

View Full Version : Seawater & its effects on hair

undeadjellybean
April 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have access to sea water, so I would like to know if it helps hair in any way.

countryhopper
April 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure if the minerals in the water would help any, but a few days back there was a thread talking about a product called a salt water spray, but the opinions of many was that the salt can be very drying to the hair. I would imagine it would be the same for sea water.

julliams
April 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I went for a dip in the ocean a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you - my hair wasn't itself for about a week and a half. It was so dry and unruly. I had always thought the saltwater was good for my curls as it always brought them out, but having joined LHC and knowing how my hair can be, it was super drying and honestly, I do think twice now before going for a swim.

Next time I might try overoiling in coconut oil and wearing it in a braid. It was that bad.

elina333
April 17th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I started a thread on salt water spray last week. Its pretty drying and even though sea water gives your hair a really nice texture and all, its quite bad for it...

Here's a link to the thread in case you wanna check it out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45595&highlight=salt+water+spray

Capybara
April 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I have dry hair to begin with, but I've always found that in certain places, the seawater can be really good for my hair. I spend a lot of time on the ocean, and while I protect my hair from the sun, I don't worry about the water.

Sea water can be really good for your skin. If you've ever visited the Dead Sea, you'd see tourists sitting in the water soaking up all of the minerals... which is not recommended for long periods of time because the minerals in the water will literally dehydrate you on the spot. But I've found that my hair feels wonderful after being soaked (unintentionally) in sea water :)