PDA

View Full Version : S&D's ok, need help avoiding serious trims

PhillyGirl1978@
April 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I am at just about 31 inches now, when stretched. So I am definitely at waist for me when I stretch but with all these curls, it looks like it's brushing waist when it's dry. I wanna get to hip...and have it look that long when curly. So I may have to grow to 36-37 inches. My hair lately has been growing quite a bit more than a half an inch a month. I love feeling it brushing across my waist when I get out of the shower...and today while finger combing it got caught in my bellybutton ring.YAY Anyhow...I have been noticing a lot of splits when I sit and twirl it in the sun. I probably should get about 2-3 inches cut off but I can't part with the length yet. I got some good scissors and I do S&D...I need to do more and be more thorough...(lots of curls make it difficult) I didn't really oil my ends much. I'm looking for ways to keep the splits at bay without really loosing any length.

So do you think I should do heavy oilings on nights I have no place to go in the morning, should I do light oilings regularly? I do two pigtail braids at night to sleep in and it gives me great braid waves, should I be oiling the tassle...coconut or olive? What should I be doing...these splits get on my nerves!

clichepithet
April 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Personally, I like regular light oilings with extra on a braid tassel(s) at night, paired with regular dusting(s). I'm not a curly, but I do have some pre-LHC damage that I'm slowly trying to be rid of. :flower: Good luck! Oh, and I like coconut oil, but everybody's different.

Yozhik
April 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I also like to pigtail braid for night -- it's so much more comfortable since I sleep on my back!
Generally, I tend to put coconut oil on my braid tassels after braiding, and I've definitely noticed a distinct change in the softness of my ends.

I'm not a curly, but my hair gets pretty wavy, (and seems to like to grow outwards rather than downwards ;)) so I understand the reluctance to lose those precious inches :flower:

Oskimosa
April 16th, 2010, 12:29 AM
If you can't part with the length, I say keep on with the S&D. I've yet to find a magic product that re-seals or hides those things. Unless you heat style and mask it with a serum for a few hours!

PhillyGirl1978@
April 16th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I figure I can S&D most of what I see to cut down on existing splits, my worry was am I doing something to cause them to be so plentiful. Now it has been about 4-5 months since my last trim and a hair dresser, I think. So maybe this is average and when most people get cuts...but I want the length.lol It seems to be mostly the last 3 inches or so but I do see them all over. I think I will do a serious S&D this weekend...separating all the hair, all layers and everything. And I will oil my braid tassels everynight...maaybe a heavy oiling when I have no place to go.

So moisture will keep you from getting so many splits??

BelleBot
April 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
It might be worth doing catnip rinses to help keep splits at bay. There's an article on it written by ktani in the article section. I certainly seem to be finding less split ends now with regular S&Ds and catnip soaks. Here's the article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

SpinDance
April 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I concur with the oiling and continuing to S&D. However, if most of your splits seem to be happening in the last few inches it could be partly due to mechanical damage from the braid/band. I've noticed less damage in this area since I went mainly to buns instead of braids, but I also changed my routine to LHC things like CWC & oiling, so it could be a combination of things making the difference. The last couple of months I've done a heavy overnight oiling about once a week and that seems to be helping as well. Bellebot's comment about catnip makes me think I might need to look into that, too, though!

PhillyGirl1978@
April 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys...I may have to try the catnip thing...and I will definitely do the oilings.