PDA

View Full Version : Greasy scalp questions

Pallas
April 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
So after one day after I wash my hair, it gets a bit greasy already. Not dripping-greasy, but still. I've heard that if you just wait a bit longer to wash and sort of "train" your hair that way, it gets greasier less quickly. I've tried that a lot but it doesn't change anything. (it did have some effect when I was younger, but not anymore)

It makes no difference whether I used shampoo or did a CO wash either. Even if I'm really careful not to get the conditioner anwhere near my scalp, it's the exact same result.

Any advise or ideas?

Peter
April 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
How can you CO wash without getting conditioner near your scalp?

Also, you might want to try WO. :)

NuclearMosquito
April 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe try brushing with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils? I usually do that on the last day before I wash to make my hair more presentable.

Edit: Just saw your hair type, you might be too curly to brush, sorry! Otherwise, if you do a CWC or regular S&C, make sure to condition only from the ears down.

spidermom
April 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I read that they've actually done studies with sensors attached to the scalp that measure oil output, and they concluded that the scalp produces the same amount of oil per day whether it's washed or not. However, I've noticed a lot of people around here who claim that the less they washed their hair, the less oily it became. I'm skeptical. I decided I wanted to wash my hair once per week only, but by the 4th day, my head was an oil slick. I only tried this for 2 weeks before I decided to the devil with it, and now I wash my hair/head whenever I think they need to be washed - even more than once a day if I've done something to get extraordinarily sweaty/dirty or the snake annoints me with his musk - pee-yew!

verene
April 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM
If I'm having trouble with my hair being greasy at the scalp, but I still want to stretch out the time until wash day I use a little bit of corn starch. Just a dab on my finger tips, then rub into the scalp, then a light dab more until the grease is absorbed to a level I can stand. If you use a very little it stays hidden in your hair, if you use a lot, a brush or comb will pull out the excess.

x0h_bother
April 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM
If there is truely no difference in grease between poo every day and CO, why not CO every day until you have buildup and want to clarify? I wish I could do that, but CO makes mine greasier. If you're feeling bad about washing every day, you are not alone, I find it necessary too. If waiting doesn't work for you, then it doesn't, but you might get your hair in really nice condition if you CO everyday.

Lady Danger
April 15th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I've tried all sorts of different methods, and for me, it seems I just have a greasy scalp. It's hormonal for me, I think, and I suffer the same as you mention - especially if I'm indoors in an environment with "bad air" (like forced heat). I just wash as needed now - usually it's in the morning, with an SLS-free shampoo. Sometimes I'll use a styling powder if I need to, and that helps, but I've made peace with my grease. ;-)

countryhopper
April 16th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I've read many things on the internet that have basically described it this way:

Your hair produces sebum to protect the scalp and hair. Shampoo strips it. Scalp produces more. Shampoo strips it. Repeat.

I used to have to shampoo EVERYDAY without fail or risk looking like a grease monkey. Then I began to read info on no poo/no condish. So I began to use dilluted baking soda water (just 1 tablespoon or less in a cup of warm water) massaged in my scalp and rinsed with tea.

Transition for me took a good two weeks to get over the incredibly greasy stage. Washing with an egg took care of major greasies once, too.

Now, almost 6 months later, I can wash using the above only twice a week. It DOES take a little while for your scalp to calm down and not produce as much sebum as it was used to doing in the past. But it CAN happen, but spacing out washings will eventually train it.

Pallas
April 16th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Wow, thats for all the advise guys! You're really helpful :heart:

BTW @ Peter: I meant to say I don't get the conditioner on my scalp when I wash with shampoo XD That didn't sound very logical indeed haha

ETA: I could try a BBB, NuclearMosquito. My hair is very brushable :) The texture is mixed and changes all the time =D

Dreams_in_Pink
April 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I read somewhere that corn starch acts like a dry shampoo and soaks the excess sebum. Haven't tried it though.

Flynn
April 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Maybe try brushing with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils? I usually do that on the last day before I wash to make my hair more presentable.

Edit: Just saw your hair type, you might be too curly to brush, sorry! Otherwise, if you do a CWC or regular S&C, make sure to condition only from the ears down.

Brushing with a BBB can stimulate the scalp to produce more oil still, and makes the oil already there m ore visible! I've heard this from a few other members here in relation to BBBs, and that's my problem, too; the moment I brush my scalp, it starts to need washing again. I can comfortably get three days or more if I really want to without it looking like it needs washing so long as I'm careful not to brush or comb my scalp. (I usually wash every second day, largely because I swim every second day.)

doro357
April 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM
What kind of shampoo do you use? I read that shampoo for oily hair might make the problem worse.Your body always wants to be in balance.So,if the shampoo is too strong and stripping all the oil,your body will produce more oil to balance everything.
Same with the skin.

I use shampoo for normal hair .It doesn't strip all the oil and my scalp feels better.

I've noticed I wash less after using henna.

cocolady
April 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Also try not to touch your hair at all and it helps me if I don't brush actually. The oil stays on the scalp and my hair stays non greasy longer. I wash every 3-4 days.

BelleBot
April 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I've found my scalp is a lot less greasy now I've switched to CO, and this includes scrubbing conditioner into my scalp and letting it sit for 10 mins or so. Providing I condition my scalp too, my scalp doesn't seem to produce lots of grease like it used to. If I don't cover my scalp in conditioner though, I find I'm far more likely to get greasy hair. Now with CO including scalp I can happily wash my hair just twice a week and it never gets greasy. I think the conditioner stops my scalp drying out so it doesn't need to produce lots of sebum and oil.
So that could be worth a try, though it has taken about a month for my scalp to settle into this.

Deborah
April 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Have you tried doing scalp-only washes on days you don't want to wash all your hair. You can use either shampoo or watered-down shampoo or CO for this. It's pretty easy. You put your hair in a low braid or ponytail, hold that hair with one hand, lean over your sink and wet just the top of your head (or a little further down the back of your head if needed), gently lather up, rinse under the faucet again, and you're finished. Before standing up, put a towel over the wet part so it doesn't drip down onto the dry hair. If you can let it air dry before combing out, almost no water will get on the lower part of the hair.

This is longer to explain than to do actually. It's quite easy and keeps you from the hassle of a full wash, plus it helps to prevent over-washing and drying out the length of your hair.

GoddesJourney
April 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Have you tried CO really washing the scalp with it? My scalp is pretty greasy and always has been. It's a little less greasy than it used to be becaues I went to sls free shampoo until it got used to it and then CO. I try to do it daily. I sometimes miss a day in between washing. I don't understand why you keep the conditioner off your scalp because it's the conditioner that gets the sebum out. I put it on my scalp first, scrub like crazy and then add more to my length. I rinse at the end of the shower. If it's really greasy that day, I just rinse out the stuff on my scalp before adding more and then do the whole thing over again and rinse at the end.

Schmoomunitions
April 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I used to HAVE to wash my hair everyday, now I wash it twice a week , but Id say it took months for my scalp to settle down and stop with the major oil production. Probably 4-6 months, Id use powder and do just scalp washes if it was driving me crazy.

hydrangea
April 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I second the dry shampoo idea! I've got fine hair, and it took me about 4 months to get to be able to shampoo & condition every 3rd day. Boar bristle brush (BBB), as mentioned may not work for you if you have fine hair. (makes my roots ridiculously greasy, so I just use it on my ends after I have applied a little coconut oil).

I got my dry shampoo at Sally's...it's called batiste original. I've also noticed that I can't have certain hairstyles on my third day...it's got to be a french braid or something similar. And my natural sebum acts as hair gel holding my braid all day! It's wonderful! You've just got to experiment and find the routine that works best for you.

countryhopper
April 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I read somewhere that corn starch acts like a dry shampoo and soaks the excess sebum. Haven't tried it though.

I forgot to add this to my first post! lol

Yes, I use cornstarch at least once a week (usually by day 3 of no washing). I love the way it soaks up ALL my excess oil and makes my hair feel thick and fluffy and full of volume. I can easily go another day or two without washing after using cornstarch.

Pallas
April 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thank you all! So much good advice :)