PDA

View Full Version : Why I think long hair is beautiful

SophieSpector
April 15th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I thought we could all post why we are long hair lovers!

I think the reason I think long hair is so beautiful is the same reason I think good skin is beautiful, the same reason I think a bit of meat your bones is beautiful and a same reason I think a small waist and big hips on a woman is beautiful.

Its a sign of health and vitality from within, opposed to just fitness. Its a type of beauty that endures.

marikamt
April 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think it is feminine (well, for women, on guys, I think it is hot if it is nice long hair), it makes me feel very womanly........

CelinaStarr
April 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I agree. Long healthy hair is feminine to me.

mintyhot
April 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM
its rare to se very long hair so its special in a way, and it is very feminine!

Liss
April 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I think because it is quite unique, it adds a further dimension to a person that is not often seen on the general public.

Peter
April 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Long hair just feels normal to me. I also don't mind having something to set me apart from most other people. :)

spidermom
April 15th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure why exactly, but long hair has always turned my head. I remember a girl from grade school that I had to remind myself not to stare at because her classic-length hair was so beautiful in my eyes.

For me, length has revealed spiral curls that I didn't know existed when my hair was shorter than APL, which it has been most of my life. My spirals are loose, so they didn't show up until I got some length. Who knew? I always thought my hair was just plain bushy - too bushy to be long.

Maybe I love long hair because it takes what is beautiful about even short hair - maybe the color or the shine or the texture - and gives you even more of it to appreciate.

Sparkette
April 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I guess I take more of an anthropological view of long hair. Long, shiny hair is a sign of health and indicates that a woman has sufficient nutritional resources to carry a child.

I know it sounds clinical, but it makes a lot of sense to me and gives me a way to override any cultural pressure towards shorter hair. Why cut my hair when I like it and when so many men are biologically inclined to prefer long hair?

Anyone else think I've put way to much thought into this?:ponder:

wilddaisies
April 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have always admired long, healthy hair because it is so feminine! :)

PhillyGirl1978@
April 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Wow...what makes long hair beautiful??So many things. For me it makes me feel very feminine. God do I love it when the wind blows...that is a main reason I grew it...I love how I feel when the wind blows my hair, it is sexy and alluring, kind of mysterious and magical. Now.... long, healthy, natural hair is so damn rare that I like to stand out. All anyone has to say to point me out to someone who doesn't know my name..."she's the one with the hair!"That usually does it for everyone!lol Long hair is the ornamant of women right...it is a girls best accessory.

Alcenaia
April 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I guess I take more of an anthropological view of long hair. Long, shiny hair is a sign of health and indicates that a woman has sufficient nutritional resources to carry a child.

I know it sounds clinical, but it makes a lot of sense to me and gives me a way to override any cultural pressure towards shorter hair. Why cut my hair when I like it and when so many men are biologically inclined to prefer long hair?

Nope, I've thought about this too.

Aside from what everyone else has said, I love the way long hair moves. :)

ZenGwen
April 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
It's interesting to see the number of "it makes me feel feminine" responses. I suppose that's true, although I'm really not a particularly feminine girl!

I guess it's kind of... a symbol of my escapism? I'm a complete geek, a fan of fairy tales and video games and anime - lots of stuff with princesses and sorceresses with long, wild hair. :)

LoversLullaby
April 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
On a woman, I find long hair to be so beautiful and feminine. I love it because it stands out, because not many others have it. These are the two main reasons I find long, healthy hair to be so beautiful.

IndigoAsh
April 15th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I love long hair cause it's dang sexy!!! My mom always encouraged me to cut my hair as short as possible without shaving it. I guess I acquired an appreciation for long hair and people who take the time to care for long healthy hair.

CaityBear
April 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've always thought long hair just looks beautiful. And I don't know why, but I feel beautiful when I wear my hair down and show off the length. It just makes me feel very feminine and very pretty.

TXbarbie
April 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I feel more feminine with my hair down and I enjoy feeling at least a little put together, even of I wake up too late to put makeup on before class, because my long hair is always looking good :)

also someone else mentioned this - people with long hair just grab my attention. Sometimes I've said "WOW that girl has some HAIR" and my boyfriend has said "babe your hair is just as long!" lol

KBG
April 15th, 2010, 09:04 PM
it's simultaneously practical and luxurious

turtlelover
April 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I love the way it moves, the way it catches the sun, the way it feels....it is always much nicer to hug someone w/ long hair!:)

going gray
April 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
When it's healthy & well taken care of, it's just simply lovely!

Yozhik
April 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I love long hair! It's attention grabbing, and it shows the dedication and care that it's owner put into it :) I feel like you can tell something about a person from the mere fact that they take so much care of their hair.

Also, to me personally, hair is POWER! I know it sounds weird, but I feel more in control, with it, and strong. Is this some type of nascent Sampson complex? :p

Birdsong
April 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Long hair is fun and free. I love that it makes me feel healthy and confident.

Flynn
April 16th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Erm... i think the most beautiful thing about it for me is that it is so much cheaper to maintain! Hahahaha.

On other people, I like the shapes it makes. Nothing to do with symbolism or femininity, just it makes good shapes. I love "gravity-defying" hair (4a/b/c or any hairtype in the long pixie regime) for the same reason.

Pixna
April 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I think long hair is beautiful because...

* It's different on every person.
* It has movement and texture that captures the attention.
* It is fascinating to look at.
* Many interesting styles can be done with it.
* It is just so...human.
* It is tantalizing -- whether on a woman or man, young or old.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 16th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hair is the only natural beauty tool of a human. Birds, cats and all the animals have colorful feathers, scales, horns and all that stuff. humans only have hair :) so why not use our potential beauty tool to its best? :D

From that point of view, i don't see it as a "feminine" thing. Hair grows both on males and females, so it's a genderless tool of beauty.

Purdy Bear
April 16th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Its warm

Its Versatile

Its warm

Feminine

Its warm

Shows good health and vitality

Did I mention its warm!

jackiesjottings
April 16th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I am also not sure exactly why but I have loved long hair since I was a child, and it feels natural to me to have mine long. I have twice had it cut then regretted it and grew it again. When I look at photos of myself with a bob now, it doesn't look like me.

Maddy25
April 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM
It is hard to explain why I love hair so much, I would just feel so proud of it to have it so long and cared for. Long hair is very magical to me and reminds me of how naturally beautiful the women in the past were and in medieval stories and fairytales :)

KBG
April 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Most goddesses are depicted with super long hair.

DARKMARTIAN
April 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Its beautiful because like the leaves on the trees and the ripples on water.....it allows the wind to be seen..:o

Quetiepi
November 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I love the way my long hair feels, and the way it bounces when I'm walking. It make me feel beautiful. Short hair doesn't have the same effect.

Madora
November 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Beautiful, healthy long hair is so attractive and inspiring to me. All the time and effort put into making it so, the elegance of updos, and most of all, the almost mystical, other wordly charisma it has.

I'm with Yozhik..long hair is POWERFUL!

Diamond.Eyes
November 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
The way long hair drapes over a persons body is just so attention-grabbing. It reminds me of a flowing ocean and really brings out a persons beauty in a natural, sensual kind of way.

holothuroidea
November 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hm... I don't find it any more beautiful than any other kind of hair. I think all kinds have equal potential for beauty, just like all different hair textures have their own unique beauty and it would take really a long time to describe how beautiful all the different kinds of hair can be. If I had to describe why long fine hair is beautiful and why long curly hair is beautiful and so on I would be typing all night.

In general, though, there is something about the care and attention that goes into long hair that proves that the owner takes good care of themselves, which is quite a beautiful thing in and of itself.

CurlyCap
November 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
lol. Compared to the others that posted, I feel so shallow.

I don't think long hair is at all feminine. I don't care if it's on a woman, a man, or a horse. I just think long, soft hair is pretty. Like rainbows are pretty.

Hair is usually made up of a lot of colors. Colors are good. There are a ton of textures. That's like a toy that keeps giving. It's usually soft, ie, fun to touch, fun to play with. And with modern hygiene, it almost always smells good. What's not to love? And long hair is just MORE of the awesome. Like MORE cake or MORE ice cream. It's a good thing. :applause:

As for why I want my hair longer, well, I guess I want one of my favorite cheapest toys back. I didn't realise how much time I killed for cheap doing updos. I can't rock my diva hair anymore. And I miss my curls. They were giant springs around my head that went boing!

blondie9912
November 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Do any of you find that you see someone somewhere that has such beautiful hair that you can't stop staring at it? I feel like a teenage boy staring at someone's chest, the way I am with gorgeous hair :grin:

owlathena
November 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I dont know, I've always just been really struck by long hair!

owlathena
November 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Do any of you find that you see someone somewhere that has such beautiful hair that you can't stop staring at it? I feel like a teenage boy staring at someone's chest, the way I am with gorgeous hair :grin:

^^^me too!

Teazel
November 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Its beautiful because like the leaves on the trees and the ripples on water.....it allows the wind to be seen..:o

Heh, yes... but oh, the tangles! ;) I think healthy long hair is beautiful in the way that a waterfall is beautiful, or a length of satin, or a flower... it's colour and movement and texture. How does one define beauty?

Beautiful, healthy long hair is so attractive and inspiring to me. All the time and effort put into making it so, the elegance of updos, and most of all, the almost mystical, other wordly charisma it has.

I put very little time or effort into my hair, so I don't think that's part of the attraction for me. :wink:

holothuroidea
November 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I put very little time or effort into my hair, so I don't think that's part of the attraction for me. :wink:

Oh now you're just showing off!!

ilovelonghair
November 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Same thought here, but I go a step further: both men and women. Hair is a good indicator of health and in prehistory men would already have procreated before they started balding so a head with thick shiny hair would have been a good indicator of his health ( they wouldn't have cut hair when humans just came into existance), the longer the hair would mean he'd have enough strenght to grow it long, same for a woman.

Personally I think it adds to a person's beauty, both for male and female. It's nowadays a quite unusual thing to have very long hair so it stands out, which I like.

Amarante
November 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Oh now you're just showing off!!

Haha I know right?! One look at her avatar says otherwise... :hmm:

Teazel
November 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Haha I know right?! One look at her avatar says otherwise... :hmm:

But it's truuuue! Most days my hair would be lucky if I spent 5 minutes on it: I'm a believer in benign neglect. I do what my hair needs to keep it happy and otherwise leave it alone. :cheese:

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP. :o

Malibu Barbie
November 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I always thought it was beautiful, had movement and you could do many things with it. ( updo's, braids)

aisha.christine
November 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
There are a bunch of reasons I think long hair is beautiful. I feel like long, healthy hair is a sign of patience and dedication. I like the way it looks elegant and timeless. I love the way it looks when it moves, and I love how everyone's hair is different. I love how it is almost exotic.
Long hair is so thought provoking! :p

candycandace
November 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
It just looks soooo much prettier than short hair (no offense to anyone with short hair, I have short hair too. It's just my opinion.) It's natural, shiny, and brings more attention to someone than short hair would. It's just whimsical and makes me think of fairytales and the Renaissance.

KwaveT
November 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Many of the things that have already been said describes why I like long hair. I think long hair is beautiful and that is on both men and women. It does not have to be feminine. That is impression many seem to get so it is frowned upon on men. I like the way long hair moves. I love the many styles that long hair can be put in. When I see a nice head of long hair, I have a hard time taking my eyes off it. It almost puts me in a trance from looking at it.

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I think its pretty because it's not the norm and I don't mind being different than others... I already am , so why not be more so?

Vanilla
November 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Anyone can have short hair, but it takes patience, dedication and good genes to be able to have long, beautiful hair. That is what I find most beautiful about long hair is the effort that goes into keeping it

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM
To me long hair is beautiful because it shows patience and a non conformist. I think all hair can look pretty but theres something magical and captivating about long hair.

Slinks
November 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
It's interesting to see the number of "it makes me feel feminine" responses. I suppose that's true, although I'm really not a particularly feminine girl!

I guess it's kind of... a symbol of my escapism? I'm a complete geek, a fan of fairy tales and video games and anime - lots of stuff with princesses and sorceresses with long, wild hair. :)

this about sums me up too :-) :cheese:

Slinks
November 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I feel more feminine with my hair down and I enjoy feeling at least a little put together, even of I wake up too late to put makeup on before class, because my long hair is always looking good :)

also someone else mentioned this - people with long hair just grab my attention. Sometimes I've said "WOW that girl has some HAIR" and my boyfriend has said "babe your hair is just as long!" lol

me too but that would be my hubby tho :-)

Slinks
November 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Its warm

Its Versatile

Its warm

Feminine

Its warm

Shows good health and vitality

Did I mention its warm!

my guess is you're in the middle of winter :lol:

Slinks
November 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM

very nice .. I like that :-)

misspurdy06
November 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Your reason is exactly mine! We are the same age too. Hmm.

kanaka
November 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Because it is feminine and in my opinion it is the main one which imparts girl a perfect beauty.
It gives confidence too

longhairedlady
November 12th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Because it covers some of my fat butt. :p

Cania
November 12th, 2011, 02:13 AM
For me, I think it shows commitment, as others have said, and an understanding of yourself.

I was always chopping my hair into different styles, dying it all sorts of colours, when I was a younger teenager and was insecure and very unhappy with myself. I did a lot of growing up in a year, while I was very ill and mostly housebound. Away from my highschool friends, I started to understand more what I actually wanted of myself, and stopped worrying about what everyone else thought of how I looked. My long hair is a testament to that, in that it is evidence that I haven't felt the need to "change" myself in the time it's taken to grow my hair long. Maybe that sounds melodramatic, but my hair seems to be very closely linked to my confidence. If I feel bad, I make a dramatic change. :o

It's also part of embracing my body. I used to hate having curves, not being naturally extremely petite like my friends. But long hair draws attention to curves, I think - the way it lies over my chest, or at the length it is, stops just as my waist draws out into my hips, highlighting the difference.

I think that's all quite personal, though, rather than general reasons for loving long hair. :o

trolleypup
November 12th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Heh, yes... but oh, the tangles! ;) I think healthy long hair is beautiful in the way that a waterfall is beautiful, or a length of satin, or a flower... it's colour and movement and texture. How does one define beauty?

Movement and flow in the wind or as the person moves...

Ditto...many many days where it gets bunned when I get up.

lol. Compared to the others that posted, I feel so shallow.

I don't think long hair is at all feminine. I don't care if it's on a woman, a man, or a horse. I just think long, soft hair is pretty. Like rainbows are pretty.

Hair is usually made up of a lot of colors. Colors are good. There are a ton of textures. That's like a toy that keeps giving. It's usually soft, ie, fun to touch, fun to play with. And with modern hygiene, it almost always smells good. What's not to love? And long hair is just MORE of the awesome. Like MORE cake or MORE ice cream. It's a good thing. :applause:

As for why I want my hair longer, well, I guess I want one of my favorite cheapest toys back. I didn't realise how much time I killed for cheap doing updos. I can't rock my diva hair anymore. And I miss my curls. They were giant springs around my head that went boing!
This!

More happymaking good things!

ilovelonghair
November 12th, 2011, 09:14 AM
my guess is you're in the middle of winter :lol:

LOL! I'd add that it's good in summer too: protects the body from the sun and the head as well, I think we'd have a lot of sun strokes if we didn't have hair (ask people who don't)

And I agree on the versatility: all the things you can do with it. I love seeing intricate updo's, makes me wish I could do the same, unfortunately I don't have enough hair for that (but I can bother my BF with that, his is getting soon long enough to pester him with updo's :D)

noelgirl
November 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I think that the longer and/or healthier hair is, the more you see it for what it is. If it's fine, thick, straight, curly, wavy, whatever. I think that natural texture is beautiful, and it's something that conventional styling can imitate, but never quite duplicate.

jacqueline101
November 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I think its feminine to have long hair.

Orangerthanred
November 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I think healthy hair is beautiful. Not long hair, not short hair. Just healthy hair, regardless of length, texture, colour, etc.

Feminine and masculine are just opinions society shoves down our throat- girls must be delicate, emotional, and soft, guys must be brave, strong, and muscular. If feminine and masculine were real, natural things, transgender people would not exist and women would never have won their rights.

moon2dove
November 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I love long hair for all the reasons stated above. I also love the smell of my hair when I take it down in the evening - this always makes me smile as I inhale :)

Monkey962
November 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hair is the only natural beauty tool of a human. Birds, cats and all the animals have colorful feathers, scales, horns and all that stuff. humans only have hair :) so why not use our potential beauty tool to its best? :D

From that point of view, i don't see it as a "feminine" thing. Hair grows both on males and females, so it's a genderless tool of beauty.

I agree entirely. While having long hair doesn't necessarily make me feel more masculine, it does make me feel more complete as a person. I feel like it's an extension of my identity. Without it, I wouldn't be myself - or at least not as much. Like Pixna said, I think it's more human than anything. It certainly makes me feel more human.

Helenae
November 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Long hair makes a woman look beautiful, unique and mystical. Like a medieval princess or something (haha sorry if that sounds cliche) It's also really rare to see a woman with really long hair.

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I like long hair on both genders. It probably is a natural sign of good health, too, given that health problems (even relatively minor ones) can really play havoc with shine and length.

If my hair is beneficial to me in no other way, at least wanting it longer and healthier helps remind me to take my multivitamin and drink more water!

Elia
November 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I just associate it with a lot of good things. Health, natural beauty, mythology, etc. I always thought it was neat how humans could grow such long hair in a specific spot.

RitaPG
November 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Long, beautiful hair is not just a sign of good health, when it's well cared for it makes me think that the person knows how to take care of it and goes though all the work needed (although sometimes a good routine can be quite simple) as opposed to ratty, broken hair, that makes me see the peron as a slob - I don't mean this in a EWW go away! way, some people just don't know how to take care of their hair and I understand that. I just don't find them as attractive - I rather see short and healthy than long and damaged.
I also think long hair is different, many people in here will say that long hair is "perfectly normal" but in reality, it's not. Unless you're in India or somewhere where long hair is norm.
In here it is so rare to see people with hair longer than waist. There's a girl with tailbone length hair in my university, and a teacher with a Classic length ponytail, but other than that everyone is between APL and BSL. I once saw two people with knee+ length hair and they were both foreigners (he was from northern Europe and she was from India).
But I think the main reason is that I just like looking at it. Long hair has always been a sight for sore eyes :)

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I just associate it with a lot of good things. Health, natural beauty, mythology, etc. I always thought it was neat how humans could grow such long hair in a specific spot.

I never thought about it that way, it is pretty neat!

Freckled.Thing
November 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I'd say I think it's beautiful probably mostly because I'm a hopeless romantic. I've read so many fantasy books with characters with long hair and it just has a timeless elegance for me.

krazykirsty07
November 13th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I wish i had long hair, it'd make me feel feminine and pretty again and not look like a bloke =/ and my daughter always points out the pretty women on tv with long hair and then says but your not pretty because you have short hair lol!

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Long hair reminds me of a waterfall.

MungoMania
November 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
It's a sign of good health. Something I yearn for. Unhealthy hair will break off before it ever gets long. It's a constant reminder to you that something is wrong with you. :(

apple cupcake
November 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Long hair is pretty. It signifies health. And femininity! (:

I also like it because I look better with long hair x: (selfish)

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I think healthy hair is inherently beautiful the way feathers and fur, when healthy, are beautiful. My three boys all have short hair but I play with it all the time. I love to watch it ripple and to feel it.

As for long hair specifically, what I usually like about longer hair (on both men and women) is how it moves. That seems to be my main fascination when it comes to long hair.

Feng-Shui
November 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Long hair is feminine and sexy.

It shows health and beauty.

And it is powerful.

velvetcat
November 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I love long hair. Men, women, cats, dogs...ever since I was a child. My favorite fairy tale was Rapunzel. I always imagined myself with long hair, even when it was short. I'm not sure why it appeals to me so much, but nothing turns my head like gorgeous hair.

PixxieStix
November 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I love the way it moves with a person, like it is expressing itself the way facial expressions portray our emotions.

I love the way long hair shines.

It is (and this is most important to me) a sign of health, physical and mental. I find it sexy, in men and women.

I adore the way silky strands slide through my fingers, the way curls wrap around your hand, it's all amazing!

All in all, I believe long hair is beautiful, and while it can be beautiful short, there is just so much more beauty to appreciate when it is long. =)