PDA

View Full Version : Bad, bad habit. HELP!!!

CaliRose
May 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I have about BSL-length which has some bleach damage. My problem is that I will sit every night and either pick through my hair for split ends or (eek...) take a strand, pinch my fingers at the base and slide my fingers all the way down to the end to pull out any broken or split hairs. I always have a small collection of hairs by the time I am done.

This is a HORRIBLE habit, and I need to stop. I have tried wearing updos, but whenever even a tiny strand falls down, I pick the habit back up again. I oil, mist, deep condition...and I am actively trying to grow out natural hair.

I am afraid to trim because I worry I'll trim and the splits will be back where they were before, only my hair will be shorter. I feel like I have only gained a few inches in the years I have been trying to grow.

Any advice, pleeease, friends?

CurlyNinja
May 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Have you tried keeping a pair of sharp scissors handy to use to just snip off the split?

Riot Crrl
May 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Wearing it up is good, since as you have indicated yourself, that at least limits the behavior to much smaller parts of your hair.

I don't suggest trying to shift the behavior to S&D, as that could get out of control easily it seems.

What if you kept oil handy, and instead of this habit, tried to replace it with stroking oil over the strands?

tiny_teesha
May 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
does henna sound appealing at all?
I second buying a good hair scissors and suggest snipping them instead of pulling or peeling them...soon you will have none left! :)

Raederle
May 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I would try to find a different ritual to get involved with. It doesn't even have to involve your hair. At the very least, limit the amount of time you allow yourself to indulge in the activity.

camillacamilla
May 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
At least if you snip the split with a good pair of hair trimming scissors, the split may not travel up the hair strand farther. However, trimming the splits can get addictive.