PDA

View Full Version : Should I tell her the truth about LoL?

Alcenaia
April 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM
A good friend of mine is growing her hair out again and plans to donate it to LoL again. Since coming here, I know that LoL isn't exactly an upfront charitable organization. There's at least one thread about it that I can't seem to find at the moment.

I'm a bit shy and inclined not to say anything to ruin it for her, but I feel a little like I'm withholding important information. Thoughts? TIA.

Note: She respects my hair and thinks long hair is beautiful, she just doesn't want it for herself.

UPDATE: I've emailed her, including the links so helpfully posted. Thank you! I hope my friend learns something from the articles I sent and makes a good decision. I won't see her for a few days, so we will see what happens.

chopandchange
April 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I think you should definitely tell her. What she decides to do then depends on her, but at least you will have told her. If you find it hard to tell her in person, maybe write her an email with a link to one of the LOL threads on here.

BelleBot
April 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think you should tell her, far better than her finding out later in life after donating when you could have told her earlier. But also find out of other places she can donate her hair to instead so she has an alternative if she wants to donate. Good luck.

countryhopper
April 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I agree that you should tell her! Show her documented proof of where you're getting your info from, and then give her another, better, alternative organization.

Loreley
April 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I would tell her the truth about LoL. Just carefully mention that I read somewhere about it and what it said. :confused:

Merewen
April 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Perhaps you can mention charities that have better track records (I think I heard Pantene Beautiful Lengths is good. You can look around and see what you find.)

Maddy25
April 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I had the same problem with a friend of mine who has previously donated her hair. I would say to politely let her know and maybe email her a link with some information backing you up. Because a lot of people seem to not believe it when they first hear it.

Carolyn
April 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
You said she doesn't want long hair for herself so I assume she is growing specifically just to donate it. I would steer her towards the facts about LoL and show her that there are other places to donate her hair. It's not like she loves her long hair and will feel horrible when she cuts it to donate.

Delila
April 15th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I'd definitely let them know.

For what it's worth, here's a link that might be useful:

Lather, Rinse, Donate (NYTimes, Sept. 6, 2007)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html

Nightshade
April 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I agree with the other posters that say to tell her and then suggest alternate charities like Beautiful Lengths. If she wants to donate, then she'll feel good doing so to a charity that will actually put her hair to good use :)

Alcenaia
April 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thank you for all the replies. That's a great idea about sharing alternative places to donate instead of just raining on her parade. :) I'll be drafting that email soon.

pennyroyal
April 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM
wow, I had no idea about LoL...:(this is very upsetting to me because not only have i donated before but I know many people who have as well. this is wrong. I wish more people knew about this. i had no idea. :mad:

Igor
April 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I think you should tell her. LoL is doing such a good job with their PR (“How selfish of you! Think of the poor children with cancer!”) that I guess a lot of people doesn’t even think about googling them and then discovering the ugly truth :rolleyes:
She deserved to know if she wants to make an informed decision

little_cherry
April 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
When I found out the truth about LoL..I was rather upset...and to think I was going to grow and donate. No thank you!

Pumpkin
April 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, please tell her about Locks of Love.