PDA

View Full Version : Hair comb styling help?

Orchid
April 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Alright, I finally got my hair cut and now it looks MUCH better. This has inspired me to buy pretty things for my hair. My stylist suggested hair combs. I remember my aunt wearing them and how they always looked so lovely and classy. I searched hi and low for some simple plastic ones to practice with and finally found some. Now I don't know what to do with them!!!!

Does anybody have any pictures of styles with hair combs?
I looked online and searched for how to videos and most of what I come up with are the decorative bridal combs. I just want to know the ways to STYLE my hair with them. If someone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

SlightlySoprano
June 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
*resurrects*

I love the look of combs! I don't own any, but would like to!

Are there any other comb aficionados? How do you use them?

Are there comb styles for shorter (SL) hair?

countryhopper
June 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
The only things I know how to do with combs are to pull back the hair on the sides and push the comb in. Nothing too interesting, and you probably already knew how to do that. :)

EZ combs are great because they can secure peacock twists, french twists, be incorporated in buns, etc.

SlightlySoprano
June 22nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
There are ways to hold buns with combs though, right?

Hair sticks never stay in my hair, its just too fine/slippery, but I feel like a comb (because of its multiple teeth) would work better!

I'm just sick of using hair elastics. So bad for your hair! Even the metal free ones! Just causes so much breakage for me.

triumphator!
June 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
When I was younger and had longer hair, I would use four combs on the four sides of my buns to secure them to my head. At one point i could even fit six, and it would look like I had a cool tiara thing around my bun! What you have to do is bobby pin the bun a little to hold its shape and to keep the ends in, and then push the combs through the bun and toward your scalp to anchor it. Just don't scrape your scalp really hard, that is super hurty.

Tiina
June 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Well, you can use a comb pretty much everywhere you previously used bobby pins or clips. They do the same thing, only the way to put them in is different, and of course, a comb is generally bigger. You can secure buns (although you should be careful if your combs are plastic), make your hair flow in a certain direction or just keep the hair out of your face. You can also pull back your upper hair for an easy half-up, give hair more volume by sliding a comb under to lift it, make fake victory rolls or simply stick a pretty one in for some bling. :p

Feel free to experiment.

tinti
June 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have a big comb that I use for french twists with waterfall on top. I just twist the hair without tucking the ends in. Then I let the comb slide in on the flat side, taking some hair with me as I pull it to the twisty side, and then I tuck it into the twist, if that makes any sense. It's just like I pin my french twist with bobby pins or clips, only here I just have to do it once.

I also have a wide tooth comb with a flower and a ribbon bow that I use for buns. I just grab a bit of the bun underneeth the teeth of the comb and then just sliding it underneath. That's what I do with my (big) combs:))