PDA

View Full Version : hairstyles for hats

countryhopper
April 15th, 2010, 12:19 AM
So I REALLY need to start wearing hats...

The problem is I usually have my hair up in a clip or peacock twist with a stick and my floppy cloth hat doesn't fit over those styles.

Hat wearers and head covering wearers, How do you style your hair to cover it? And do you leave it on all day, or take it off when indoors? How do you prevent hat hair??

Pallas
April 15th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I like to swoop my hair in a low bun (elegant, messy, whatever style I feel like) and I often do it on the side. I wear that with fedora-ish hats and caps and beanies. It looks nice with other hats as well, though; all sorts of summer hats and whatnot. I also wear it in a loose braid to the side often. Looks a bit more informal and I l;ike to wear it with caps and beanies and in winter.

ravenreed
April 15th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Last year, I think I wore double braids when I wore hats. I bought a flat crowned Amish hat so I have at least one sun hat that will work with buns. It looks like this:

Amish hat. (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=154&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8)

ASillyKitty
April 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
When I wear hats, I either have a braid or a bun at the nape of my neck. I think a bun is good because it also protects your hair from the sun if the brim is wide enough. As for preventing hat hair, if you are careful when you put it on and take it off, it shouldn't be much of a problem because your hair is tied up in a style.

Hana
April 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Beanies are good with low plaits and buns. I'm sure berets would work well with these styles too.
Ok, most hats made with soft materials!

Speaking of which, I'd love to dig out my beret and experiment..... I shall do that this weekend. *hunts for diary*

countryhopper
April 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to put them to good use!

Maybe we should start a new challenge of wearing hair covered when outside...!

SheaLynne
April 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Maybe we should start a new challenge of wearing hair covered when outside...!

Oooh, I would definitely take this challenge! I need the motivation to plan ahead to not get caught outside without a covering. I do keep a scarf in my purse since I cover for worship services and prayer, but somehow I do not put anything on to go walk the dog, walk with the family, go to parks, etc.

I found myself just yesterday walking with my family and dh led us on a route that took us in the broad sun for nearly half a mile. All I could think the whole time was how I should have worn a hat!

I LOVE the Amish bonnets linked above. I have something similar but not shaped quite so well for accommodating buns. I think I'll add some ribbon to tie under my chin and go hang it by the front door and start really using it!

Thanks for the encouragement!

JenniferNoel
April 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Side braids work for me... I'm not sure if your hair is long enough though. If not, I've made a super flat peacock twist fit under pretty much every kind of hat and scarf.

Forever_Sophie
April 15th, 2010, 09:22 AM
A couple wks ago, I actually asked my manager if we can work hats at work - yes! I keep them on. I have bangs so once it's on, taking it off isn't really an option LOL

ETA: I leave my hair loose when wearing them. I've seen some women do a side braid, and would like to try that, too.

RedStripe
April 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
During the winter, I wear berets all the time -- they've become one of my most noted trademarks. They're handy because, being flexible, they're adaptable to many hairstyles. Even if I'm wearing a bun that's somewhat high, I can sort of drape the back of the hat above it instead of pulling it down as low as I normally would. This enables me to go out at lunchtime and put my hat on without having to fuss with my hairstyle.

joiekimochi
April 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I just bought a straw boater hat! I've been wondering what styles that would look good and not too "St Trinians" i.e. two braids with the hat, and yet not have to leave my hair loose. I think a loose, fat side braid would be perfect with this hat!

SunDreamer76
April 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Last year, I think I wore double braids when I wore hats. I bought a flat crowned Amish hat so I have at least one sun hat that will work with buns. It looks like this:

Amish hat. (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=154&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8)

THANK you for providing the link to the Amish hat. I've been wanting a hat to wear outside and that is PERFECT.

pinkbunny
April 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Depends on the hat and how low it sits... For baseball caps, I just pull my hair through the hole in the back, then ponytail, braid, bun, whatever. Other hats I usually do 2 dutch or french braids, or low ponytail(s). If it's a tall hat with room at the top, you could just wear a high bun. When I wear a visor I like to have 2 high ponytails/double buns that stick out over the top.

I don't worry much about covering my hair from the sun, because I like the natural highlights. I do wear hats to avoid getting burned on my face/scalp, though.

I did see the loveliest gigantic-brimmed floppy sun/beach hat the other day. I'm tempted to go back and get it!

TiaKitty
April 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
This is my favorite style of hat:

http://www.e4hats.com/_e/Striped_Roll_Straw_Visor/product/rv005vc-natural/Striped_Roll_Straw_Visor_Natural.htm

I like the hole it leaves in the top for my bun/pony to come out. There's more protection arond the sides and even to the back, to protect ears, neck, etcetera. Mine has an elastic band at the back and a tie, to make it tighter or looser.

The one I have is made by Capelli, but this one is a different brand. I couldn't find a Capelli version in a quick search.

If I'm wearing a different hat, one with a crown, I often wear double English braids.

Firegarnet
April 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Thank you ravenreed! I hadn't seen these before.

Oh, I think I need to go this route at some point. I like a hat to not only shield my face and ears from the sun but also protect my hair (even in a bun it can get dried out in the sun). Currently, I have two options. First, a loose fabric cap with a visor like brim that I can fit over most of my buns--if I take out the hairstick (so once the hat is off, my hair falls out of the bun). The other is with what was once a very nice straw hat(very smooth and supple hat) and my hair loose and then sort of loosely bunned or crammed into the the space behind my head and on top of my head. This needs to be just right to hold the hat on. Otherwise it falls off or down over my eyes. Sadly this straw hat is so old it is now more a gardening straw hat than a go-out-and-about hat because it is so stained and frayed. :(

I used to rarely wear a baseball cap with hair in an English braid down my back (braid won't fit inside the hat), but my ears got burned and my braid was straw the last few times and we were outside longer than anticipated.

Nothing I've tried and done was ever 'just right' for me. I never saw a flat crowned hat in person though (not a shopper)...that might work! :)

Anje
April 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Quick question:

How do you keep a flat-crowned hat like that on? I don't think I'd do the ribbon-over-the-whole-thing style that the website shows.

Mamakash
April 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I put my hair up in a french twist and pile the remainder onto my crown. I use a few bobby pins to secure it to my head and crown. I've been pinning up my hair under pre tried bandanas, as I can't manage to put it into the low pony tail they recommend. My hair stays put and I don't seem to get the pulling I used to from ponytails. I also do the twist with my beret and the beret manages to cover most of my hair. Hopefully, this won't cause too much damage(I take out the pins gently) and I've noticed that I lose less hair during the day and when I comb out at night.:joy:

AgnesONutter
April 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Quick question:

How do you keep a flat-crowned hat like that on? I don't think I'd do the ribbon-over-the-whole-thing style that the website shows.

You use hatpins, though you have to be very careful not to hurt yourself if you are unused to them. You can also fasten ribbons on the inside with safety pins (or sew them on) and secure the hat under your chin or under your bun depending.

Personally, I do low chignon styles or braids a lot when wearing my hat.

JamieLeigh
April 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I don't really have advice for the floppy hats, unless you make a bun which sits extremely-pancake-flat on your head and pin it comfortably. Or just let a braid or pony hang down in the back. The only hats I wear are ball-cap variety (my black Metallica one, and my beige and navy blue Mario Bros one mostly)...and I usually just do either a simple English braid down my back, or I pull my hair all the way through the hole in the back (where the adjuster strap is) and make whatever bun I like, as though starting from a ponytail. I can make cinnabuns and braided buns lay flat against the back of my hat. And to be perfectly honest, I don't really care what people think it looks like. :D

Elbereth
April 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM
My hair refuses to cooperate with hats. I find that scarves and old-fashioned headcoverings like kapps and bonnets work better for long hair (after all, back when they were invented, every woman had long hair).

If I wear a small headcovering like a folded bandana, I can wear just about any bun under it, all I need to do is to make sure that my hairtoys do not protrude from my bun (now that looks funny!)

Some headcovering styles, like kapps, look better with flat buns. Prayercoverings.com has tutorials for flat bun styles. They don't look that good, but then, the cap is meant to stay on all the time so it doesn't show.

I also like to wear larger square cotton scarves tied nicely. Tznius.com has many nice scarf tying tutorials. Another style I like is a high beebutt bun secured with scrunchies, and a simple cotton scarf triangle tied into my neck on top of that.

Hope this helps!

Gypsy
April 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Wrap a silky type scarf around your hair then put on the hat.
That's a basic "rule" on the black hair boards since black hair tends to be drier and more breakable, we tend to use those silky things a lot, lol!
Everyone was all excited when Alicia Keys burst on the scene years back and was wearing scarves under her hats to protect her braids, ha ha!

MasCat
December 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Bumping up the thread.

Any ideas for awesome, cool updos for me? I wear a red fedora (you can see it HERE (https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1530397_10201272222951827_1681974444_n.jpg?oh=87f7 f7543bfe9744dc53a07da185fe71&oe=5528D1F4)) and I normally go with a low LWB or a braided LWB...

I would love some more elaborate hairstyles. Any ideas?