PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions.. What color suits me best?

tokidokichi
April 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Okay so my hair has been almost every color out there! I'd really like to stick with one color for a while. I'd like some advice about what color looks best on me.

red:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2165479&id=568062482

honey blonde:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3031326&id=568062482

orange/red:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2359504&id=568062482

gold-ish/strawberry blonde:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4086169&id=568062482

warm brown:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2139588&id=568062482

my hair has also been platinum blonde and almost black, but I don't want to do either of those colors again! hehe

So what suits me? =]]

Flynn
April 14th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Your images all require logging in to facebook.

Katze
April 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
what is your natural color? Many people (me included, also a long time dyer and bleacher) actually find that their natural color DOES suit them, if they give it half a chance.

Also, hair that is not color treated is healthier and more likely to grow long.

I always thought I looked better blonde but honestly it always looked brassy and fake (when I look, now, at pics from then). My natural color compliments my skin and eye color better, and my eyes look more vivid and lighter, instead of looking darker than my hair. My only issue is my blonde eyebrows, but they are getting a bit darker with age.

Aranhil
April 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think only friends can see your pics. Even when I'm logged on facebook I can't view them.

BelleBot
April 15th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I can't see the pictures either and I'm logged onto facebook :( You'll have to change the privacy settings so everyone can see them, or host them elsewhere like on on here in the albums, photobucket or imageshack or somewhere.

FrannyG
April 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I can't see the photos either. Your Facebook photo album must be set to "friends only". Perhaps temporarily change the setting, or upload the photos to Photobucket of Flickr.

I really want to help. :)

dropinthebucket
April 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
There are some really good sites to help with hair coloring decisions - i visited SO many of them trying to figure out whether to make the serious attempt to get rid of my henna! :) In the end, it was actually really simple - are you cool, or warm? are you better in brights and vivids, or pastels and muteds? Cools should stick with ash tones - ash blonde, ash browns, black. Warms should stick with warm tones - yellow blondes, warm browns, reds. Vivids can do platinum and black. Muteds should stick with the middle tones, and not go too far to one extreme or the other of the spectrum, and should keep their contrast low (so, no vivid highlights). I also found the much-quoted advice of using true white or ivory to tell if you're cool or warm was no help - I don't have an eye for colour undertones in neutrals at all. Reds and greens, being "balanced" colours in the exact middle of the colour wheel, were also to hard to tell for undertones - many shades are just not obviously enough warm or cool to reallly jump out and say *yeah, this works!* or *unh, unh - no way*. Much better for me was using a good, true blue, versus a clear orange. Very few people can wear orange, except for true warms. Try a vivid, bright and a soft, muted shade of both colours. A vivid, true blue, and you may be a Winter. A softer, muted blue, and you may be a Summer. Winters can do platinum and black hair, Summers are better sticking to the medium range colours. A vivid, bright orange, and you may be an Autumn. A softer, pastel-ish orange and you may be a Spring. Warm browns and reds will look awesome on an Autumn. Blondes, reds, and lighter browns will look great on a Spring. HTH. :)

UP Lisa
April 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The advice is always that only '"warms" can go red. Actually, most natural redheads have a cool, pinkish coloring.

spidermom
April 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Can't see the pictures, but going with your natural color is the easiest.

tokidokichi
April 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry about that, I didn't notice my settings were set to private. I'll upload these pictures to an album when I get home!

My natural color is a very light strawberry blonde. I'm very pale and my freckles come out in the summertime. I have a pinkish skin undertone. Two years ago I dyed my hair back to it's natural color, but it washed me out and didn't look good with my pale skin.

I'm going to be using elumen color on my hair which is a non oxidative, deposit only, permanent hair color. It has very minimal damage, even less than having a demi-permanent hair color.

I'll post here again with pictures that you can see! :p

tokidokichi
April 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Okay here is an album with the pictures in it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5313

bahannas
April 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I personally like the orangey-red. It looks natural. :D

Anywhere
April 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I like reddish brown the best.

FrannyG
April 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I really like the reddish brown the best by a mile! :)

xoxophelia
April 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I like either the brunette or the light red orange type.

Quixii
April 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I like the brownish red or the orange red the best out of those pictures. :) Though overall, the red tones seem to suit you well. My least favourite is the honey blonde.

IndigoAsh
April 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
reddish brown for sure gets my vote. Makes your eyes like wow!

LisaB234
April 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Goldish strawberry blond or reddish brown. I think the goldish strawberry blonde looks the most natural, but the reddish brown is stunning with your eyes and skin. The range you have tried is impressive and I think the more reddish tones really suit your coloring.

ademtce
April 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
the red suits you best.

walterSCAN
April 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The reddish brown is my favorite-- it highlights your eyes the most-- but I'm with those who have said that all of the red shades look pretty good... I'm not a huge fan of the honey blonde at all, but that might be my preferences for myself coming out!

mellie89
April 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I like all of them, but the reddish brown is definitely the most flattering for your coloration. :)

Yozhik
April 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
The reddish brown -- it really makes your complexion and eyes pop!
I also like the strawberry blond, although I think it'd be easier to tell if the photo showed more of your face ;)

I'll agree that the honey blond was my least favorite, but that's just personal preference. :flower:

formunkyfrommom
April 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
i like the contrast of the brown with your skin and eyes and also the reds look very nice too....i think the blonde washes you out a little bit....not alot but enough for me to like the other colours better :)

as a hairdresser i love the style and colour of the brunette on you very much

Cailie
April 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I vote for brown too !

(and the ones I like the least are the blond tones, even if you look great in every picture)

StephanieB
April 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Well, it's hard to tell if the orangered or the reddishbrown looks better (most natural), because the orangered is clearly natural lit and the reddishbrown appears that it might not be. The red also does not appear to have been taken in natural light. It also appears to be unflattering to your skin tone... but it's not possible to tell that for sure from that pic (or, at leasst, without more info on the lighting in that pic). Color-typing must be done in bright, indirect, natural light.

The middle pic - goldstrawberry - is useless for color-typing: your face doesn't show in that light and with that hair color.

Have you ever been color-typed before? Do you know if you're a summer, a spring, an autumn, or a winter type?

Asssuming the orangred hair color pic (third from left, second rom right) to have been taken in bright daylight, you appear to be cool-toned, and either a summer or a winter type. Blue eyes? Can't tell for sure in the pix.

To color-type properly (accurately), you need to over all of your hair in a white turban/towle/showercap/scarf and drape everything frm chin down in a white drape/sheet/cap. Only your face should show - with no makeup on. Just bare facial skin with eyes. You need to look into a large mirror so you can easily see all of your face (but litle else or - best, nothing else - in the background), with bright indirect natural lighting source(s) behind you, and around your sides, and in front of you (around the mirror edges). Then, you need large squares or rectangles of fabrics, and you lay one at a time over the white drap underneath your chin, and look at yourself carefully. The wrong tone of colors will actually cause a 'drag' at your face, seem to draw the corners of your eyes and mouth and our face downwards, making it look saggy; the right tone of colors will make your facial lines seem to draw upwards instead. It's amazing - the first time you see this - and it works like a magic charm each and eery time it's done, no matter who this is done to. Once you've determined if you are warm toned or cool toned - you look at those colors up against your chin, one at a time. Either summer colors or the winter colors will bright up you face; the ohter will do nothing (or little) 'for' your face. And if you are warm-toned, either the spring or the autumn colors will 'brighten up' your face, and the other will do little or nothing 'for' your face. Most people (>95%) will be clearly one season-color type and there will be no doubt - even to newbie color-typers. For the rest of people, who may be not so easily one or another season within a warm or cool tone, there are other things to look for. None of these can be done properly with online pix. Most 'telling' in these iffy cases is the pattern(s) in the irises of one's eyes. (not the eye color itself - but the pattern or patterns within the irises - the colored part of one's eyes).

I used to color-type for two very well-known cosmetic companies, and later, as a consultant for professional people (corporate types) looking to maximize their image.

Lady Mary
April 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Orange red looks best to me.

KittyLost
April 16th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Orangered looks lovely :)

kelly-j
April 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I really think the color you had at the left picture suited you the best.

Leneveu
April 16th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Beautiful pictures :flower:

My favourite is the orange-red. The red-brown is nice, too.

Sunny_side_up
April 16th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Orange-red does look very nice and different, though the brown does look glorious and shiny and goes well with your skin and lovely eyes:)

UP Lisa
April 16th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I like the reddish-brown on you the best.

Altocumulus
April 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Another vote for reddish brown!

julliams
April 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
You can wear all of these colours effortlessly. I like the reds best on you but you look great in all shades.

Beansidhe
April 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
It's kind of hard to tell for sure with the different lighting in all the pictures, but I think the reddish brown is the most flattering. The lighter colors don't do as much for your skin, and the reddish brown really makes your eyes stand out!

lapushka
April 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I like the first two pictures. The other colors seem to wash you out IMMHO. Could be the lighting, though. I'd say go with whatever you think is nicest.